• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

dc_slicker

Reaction score
That's just the current bid. It will increase as the auction draws to a close.
oh i see.

i wear L and I like Bond movies... umm. maybe i will enter the bid for kicks..

btw... what's NR stands for in the title?

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Who was it that was looking for a Pea Coat in large a while back? I have one of these and wear the heck out of it in cooler weather. Fits a bit close so I sized up to XL.

I think I saw you post few items before from this seller...
personally never bought anything used before, but i guess pea coat is not bad to buy used... i would be more concerned with a shirt or pants

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i see.

i wear L and I like Bond movies... umm. maybe i will enter the bid for kicks..

btw... what's NR stands for in the title?
Not sure about the NR. Maybe "no reserve" or a code internal to LuxeSwap. I've bought plenty of stuff from Matt and his descriptions are always spot-on. You can ask about the item here:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it would make your suit to be pulled to your right... do you balance it out in some way?

The jacket hangs from the shoulders, so a little weight in one side pocket doesn't affect the balance. Also, it's an iPhone, so there's no bulge in the pocket, like would be the case from older style flip phones. As phones get thinner and thinner, it's even less of an issue. Also, my phone is a standard size. I never get the jumbos, whatever they call it - Plus?.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I'm wearing a suit or sports jacket, I always keep my phone (iPhone 6S, go ahead and laugh) in my inside left breast pocket.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question about it. I see lot of folks using breast pocket of their coats to keep gloves... since gloves are rather bulky, do you notice that your pockets now are sort of permanently open?

I would think it would make your suit to be pulled to your right... do you balance it out in some way?
I only do that with heavier, tweedier jackets. If I need gloves I'm likely wearing heavier garments anyway and they can handle the abuse. Patch pockets can bow out and loosen a bit over time but that's fine. I don't normally use the front pockets on "business" suits.

Last edited:

dc_slicker

Reaction score
The jacket hangs from the shoulders, so a little weight in one side pocket doesn't affect the balance. Also, it's an iPhone, so there's no bulge in the pocket, like would be the case from older style flip phones. As phones get thinner and thinner, it's even less of an issue. Also, my phone is a standard size. I never get the jumbos, whatever they call it - Plus?.
When I'm wearing a suit or sports jacket, I always keep my phone (iPhone 6S, go ahead and laugh) in my inside left breast pocket.
I keep my phone in inside left and wallet in inside right to balance the weight distribution

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boglioli stuff apparently has mildly oversized patch pockets such that you can fit a ~8 inch android tablet (16x9 or 16x10 screen, not Apple style 4x3 or whatever aspect ratio they like) in them, which is useful for traveling. My B&Tailor and i Sarti stuff with patch pockets have slightly less volume. I tend to think the old NMWA Sartoria Cantarelli stuff also has slightly larger patch pockets as I only noticed my tablet <-> patch pocket conundrum in some fall/winter situation with a B&Tailor coat.

I tend to use pockets just enough to get annoying when the flaps get wrinkled, so all my bespoke stuff is jetted or patch. I do have one length of fabric (minnis 0656) on the shelf where I think it calls for flaps as I think it is in that uncanny valley as it is too formal for patch but not formal enough for jetted.

But yes, for suits, it is typically only receipts, tickets going in the waist pockets, nothing with any real substance, but still enough to leave one flap in, one out, or worst, one half in/out on the way to being wrinkled

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always carry all my stuff except my money clip in my jacket’s hip pockets. Phone, papers, keys. I also often stuff my hands in them - I find that more natural to me than putting my hands in my pants pockets. The pockets definitely get reshaped and deformed by putting stuff (and fists) in them but I’ve always liked when a jacket doesn’t look too new or perfectly lean. Different strokes

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment at Ezra's next weekend to pick out a new suit to celebrate the likely re-opening of the office in the next month or so. Here's what I have in mind:
Navy 6x2 double breasted
Slight padding and roping in the shoulder
10cm lapels
Jetted pockets
Single forward pleat w/ 4cm cuffs

Ezra tells me he's now carrying some Halstead fabrics, which I think specializes in mohair and is apparently a pretty good value so I'm considering a dark navy wool/mohair blend.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment at Ezra's next weekend to pick out a new suit to celebrate the likely re-opening of the office in the next month or so. Here's what I have in mind:
Navy 6x2 double breasted
Slight padding and roping in the shoulder
10cm lapels
Jetted pockets
Single forward pleat w/ 4cm cuffs

Ezra tells me he's now carrying some Halstead fabrics, which I think specializes in mohair and is apparently a pretty good value so I'm considering a dark navy wool/mohair blend.
Mohair is great in this climate. I have a 100% mohair sport coat and you can feel the breeze come through it. Stiff fabric, though, like Minnis Fresco.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics