• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
No ticket pocket. Why hacking pockets on a charcoal tropical weight suit?

Will does a traditional English cut that is similar to Henry Poole. My understanding is that hacking pockets (the ones that are slightly slanted) are a traditional English style characteristic. I hope I didn't screw that up.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Hacking pockets or ticket pocket, not both.

Some may suggest that hacking pockets only belong on a sportcoat, to preserve the connection to hunting and riding (aka 'hacking').

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this but I have no idea why.
Me either! Mostly it makes me feel Old World and then I love answering the usual questions from younger dudes on why I have a weird little extra pocket.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Are hacking pockets (15 degree angle--so very slight) okay on a more formal suit in a charcoal color? To me, it seems like a sort of subtle mark of the British suit style's roots, without being too obnoxious (i.e. 45 degree hacking pockets).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are hacking pockets (15 degree angle--so very slight) okay on a more formal suit in a charcoal color?
Hacking pockets not formal, very Country. Neat but casual. Ticket pocket better, as @imatlas mentioned, with normal flap pockets.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, everyone. If it's not too late, I'm going to check with Will and see if I can change it to straight flap pockets. But now the question--do I add the ticket pocket? Attached is the fabric. The ticket pocket is a characteristic English style feature, right?

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, everyone. If it's not too late, I'm going to check with Will and see if I can change it to straight flap pockets. But now the question--do I add the ticket pocket? Attached is the fabric.
If you can change to straight flap pockets, get the ticket pocket! It stands out just a little bit without being trendy or anachronistic.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, everyone. If it's not too late, I'm going to check with Will and see if I can change it to straight flap pockets. But now the question--do I add the ticket pocket? Attached is the fabric. The ticket pocket is a characteristic English style feature, right?
Yes, ticket pockets are very British and will look fine on your Birdseye fabric. I had a Paul Stuart Phineas Cole winter suit in a similar fabric. It had a ticket pocket that worked very well. Looks good if you can bring in the waist as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads