• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to lack of exercise and a poor diet during the lockdown, I am 20 lbs. over my ideal weight. I finally made a commitment to getting healthy. That means pushups and planks and eliminating to the extent possible bread (and other products made with white flour), red meat, fried foods, and alcohol. Three (out of the first) four ain't bad.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ironic thing is all of my cholesterol metrics have improved markedly since the start of the pandemic.

I have not exercised (other than daily walks) since last March and my diet is modestly worse (not terrible, but I snack frequently at home and I probably eat more refined carbs and sugar than before).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put on a few pounds with the holidays and winter weather precluding long bike rides. Looks like we're beginning to warm up here so I expect to tone up swiftly. Fingers crossed as it gets harder over 50.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lost weight last year due to starting telework, being with my wife all the time, and it not being a big deal if I disappeared for hours on weekend days for metric centuries.

I was avoiding busy trails and places where people would congregate so I did it as safely as I could. My year end mileage was a PR however I do not think I'll be as ambitious as last year. That being said, I will endeavor not to gain it all back.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a dream a few nights ago that I was getting fitted for a new suit and it was fitting terribly. The tailor asked me "did you put on some weight this past year?" and I responded "not really, maybe a couple of pounds." The tailor looked at me skeptically, and I said "ok, maybe more like 10 pounds." Which is a really weird dream to have since I haven't gained any weight at all this past year! I definitely won't be going to that imaginary tailor again.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a dream a few nights ago that I was getting fitted for a new suit and it was fitting terribly. The tailor asked me "did you put on some weight this past year?" and I responded "not really, maybe a couple of pounds." The tailor looked at me skeptically, and I said "ok, maybe more like 10 pounds." Which is a really weird dream to have since I haven't gained any weight at all this past year! I definitely won't be going to that imaginary tailor again.

That tailor will just visit you now.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tailor will just visit you now.
The last thing I need is another anxiety dream! I already have "teeth falling out," "exam in class I didn't attend," and the worst one, "playing drums on stage but the kit keeps falling apart." "MTM suit no longer fits" is just one too many, man.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casual CM on this warm winter day.

65A6BEEA-EA7C-415E-9D92-FAFCED4D66D7.jpeg

brokencycle

Reaction score
Funny how I just bought a pair of running shoes from NB.

I've started doing high intensity exercises like sprinting. So far I've lost 5 lbs. To motivate me more, I may grab someone cell phone and start sprinting to see if that will increase my performance. I've started doing jump ropes as well. And finally more weights on the bench and pull ups. Wish me luck for the next 3 months. Also, I thought Omega 3 would help lower my cholesterol but I just saw a video where it actually increases LDL so someone like me should not take 4g of Omega 3...I think.

Did you fast properly before the test?

I once had a blood test that I forgot about when I got the phone reminder. It was a work event for insurance. We were out to with our families, and I had just finished eating a short rib burger with bacon plus two orders of fries. My triglyceride level was something like 10x the top end of the "healthy range." The guy was very concerned and recommended I go see a doctor immediately.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Similar cholesterol diagnosis happened to me in October 2020. I also don’t drink or smoke like you and was not exercising at all. Basically a sedentary lifestyle, snacking, poor diet choices led to this for me. Sugar and ***** foods are the key culprits. I changed my diet quite a bit in November, started walking 1 mile per day, and started on a Lipitor type prescription. I’ve lost 20 pounds without breaking a sweat. I miss white rice, noodles, and KBBQ. But I’ve noticed that my taste buds have adjusted and my body now craves leaner proteins, and fresh greens much more than the other tastier stuff I used to eat. I still enjoy those those tastier meals but usually only once or twice per week to take a break from meal prepping
Ever since I got the blood test results (cholesterol and triglycerides were off the charts) and also being told that I have early symptoms of nonalchoholic ***** liver disease, I've changed my diet completely and started exercising (sprinting, walking, dumbbells, jump ropes, jumping jacks) and have lost 10 lbs in about 1-2 weeks.

I thought I hated veggies and fish but just like you my taste buds changed completely. I have been eating steamed veggies and cauliflower based dish (got them from Costco). No more sugary stuff like Starbucks coffee, no more white rice like you, no more red meat for now (will miss KBBQ), and no more bad habits like laying down or taking a nap after a meal.

I am somewhere around 6 ft and my current target weight is 160 lbs (weighed this bf marriage). I don't know how reliable BMI ratio is but 160 lbs would put me in a healthy BMI range. I am working to lose weight and gain muscle before I return to my doctor in May. If my current plans fail then I go on Statins, my guess, but my doctor just told me to lose some weight with a year in mind. He did say 160 lbs would be an excellent weight but I doubt that it is healthy to get there so quickly from 210-ish lbs. I'm at 199 lbs now but we'll see how much I shed this week.

Last edited:

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
The last thing I need is another anxiety dream! I already have "teeth falling out," "exam in class I didn't attend," and the worst one, "playing drums on stage but the kit keeps falling apart." "MTM suit no longer fits" is just one too many, man.
I don't know why but I still have nightmares two nightmares that still freaks me out:
1. I find out that must return to college because I didn't have enough credit to graduate.
2. I find out that I didn't pass my last CPA exam and now I need to retake the other three.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since I got the blood test results (cholesterol and triglycerides were off the charts) and also being told that I have early symptoms of nonalchoholic ***** liver disease, I've changed my diet completely and started exercising (sprinting, walking, dumbbells, jump ropes, jumping jacks) and have lost 10 lbs in about 1-2 weeks. I thought I hated veggies but just like you my taste buds changed completely. I have been eating steamed veggies and cauliflower based dish (got them from Costco). No more sugary stuff like Starbucks coffee, no more white rice like you, no more red meat for now (will miss KBBQ), and no more bad habits like laying down or taking a nap after a meal. I am somewhere around 6 ft and my current target weight is 160 lbs (weighed this bf marriage). I don't know how reliable BMI ratio is but 160 lbs would put me in a healthy BMI range. I am working to lose weight and gain muscle before I return to my doctor in May. If my current plans fail then I go on Statins, my guess, but my doctor just told me to lose some weight with a year in mind. He did say 160 lbs would be an excellent weight but I doubt that it is healthy to get there so quickly from 210-ish lbs. I'm at 199 lbs now but we'll see how much I shed this week.
That's fantastic man! I have my follow up with my doctor on Thursday. I think I lost some of the progress that I made f being sick for 10 days and not walking as much, but definitely back on track now. Next phase for me is see my test results and then probably add back the muscle I've lost.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
That's fantastic man! I have my follow up with my doctor on Thursday. I think I lost some of the progress that I made f being sick for 10 days and not walking as much, but definitely back on track now. Next phase for me is see my test results and then probably add back the muscle I've lost.
I'll see you at Burke Lake.

But seriously, hope your result come back all good.

BMI doesn't really matter since it doesn't account for muscle. I think body fat % is a better indicator of how much you should weigh.
Yeah, I heard that a lot about the BMI scale, which is why I just go with my belly circumference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics