• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On dressier overcoats there tends to be (from what I see) usually 4 small buttons. However, that would depend on the type of overcoat you have. Is your coat a raglan type of style or a standard single or double breasted overcoat?
I think most of mine have four sleeve buttons. Never really thought of working buttons on an overcoat but it sounds pretty neat.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like weve got snow coming our way this weekend!
Screenshot_20210128-082926_Chrome.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC snow hole. The city and immediately surrounding suburbs will get a dusting. Count on it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if we get 3-5" inches I may get to...work from home.
My wife has worked from home for years and absolutely hates it when I’m home during the day. Pandemic means I can’t even go anywhere interesting. Ugh!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you wear this?

View attachment 1544303

To the Grammys (where I get an invite every year, but never go, because I don't have anything to wear)

For the record, I would wear this with crisp white trousers, black velvet slippers, no socks, and a white frilly shirt. And I would wear it to a French embassy ball where I know no one, get too drunk, and break something very expensive.

This is actually better than my plan to wear to the Grammys

Hmmm. I have 2 overcoats that would do well with this treatment. I have been wanting to change the buttons on one of them for some time now so I guess I would have to decide on that first. How many buttons should there be at the cuff and what size? One coat has 2 larger buttons and the other has 3 smaller ones
I think most of mine have four sleeve buttons. Never really thought of working buttons on an overcoat but it sounds pretty neat.

Depends on the coat, but the coats I have that do have sleeve buttons have four.

Not sure why one would want working button holes on a topcoat/overcoat.

My wife is definitely hoping for 3-5" this weekend.

TWSS

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On dressier overcoats there tends to be (from what I see) usually 4 small buttons. However, that would depend on the type of overcoat you have. Is your coat a raglan type of style or a standard single or double breasted overcoat?

They are both standard single breastfed. The one with the smaller cuff buttons is the dressier, a 40+ year old NOS Crombie cloth but Irish made so I assumed it was more of a traditional cut/design than the 40+ NOS American branded coat

20210128_141525.jpg

It's curious how I stumbled across so many (many = 3) NOS coats

Depends on the coat, but the coats I have that do have sleeve buttons have four.

Not sure why one would want working button holes on a topcoat/overcoat.

***** & grins. It's COVID season - what else is there to do?

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both standard single breastfed. The one with the smaller cuff buttons is the dressier, a 40+ year old NOS Crombie cloth but Irish made so I assumed it was more of a traditional cut/design than the 40+ NOS American branded coat

View attachment 1544734

Holy **** please don't edit this epic autocorrect.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real life always intruding on my #menswear existence... Covid variants on the march.

“There are early signs of a new surge in some parts of the country that have already gone through a mammoth outbreak. Models from the PolicyLab at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia forecast new surges in New York City and in Washington, D.C., and its surrounding suburbs.”

GeoffreyB

Reaction score

View attachment 1544734

***** & grins. It's COVID season - what else is there to do?

I got you. You can add as many buttons that you feel may work for you as well as the size. On my coat it was designed to work with four. Most of the De Petrillo coats will have four small buttons, unless it is a casual coat or bomber jacket of some sort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads