• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No WSJ here, sorry.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what date did the article run?

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By any chance, do any of you have a WSJ online subscription? There's an article in the style section on work from home dressing in which yours truly is mentioned, but it's behind a paywall!
There are chrome browser extensions that allow you to read those for free. I think the one I use is called outline.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
By any chance, do any of you have a WSJ online subscription? There's an article in the style section on work from home dressing in which yours truly is mentioned, but it's behind a paywall!

Do you have a link to the article?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's part of it at least:

Why Some Men Are Still Wearing Suits to Work From Home
10 months on, a small cohort of tailoring traditionalists still refuses to trade ties for T-shirts
im-288434

TIED UP When he began working from home, New York’s Brandon Mitchell started posting his suity fits on Instagram to pass the days.
PHOTO: BRANDON MITCHELL
By
Jacob Gallagher
Jan. 21, 2021 12:19 pm ET
LAST YEAR was all about shlumpy sweatpants, plush house slippers and mundane Zoom shirts. As many Americans shifted to working from home—and later trickled back into offices—our wardrobes took a hard left turn into the world of casual wear. But even as elastic waists and jersey became de rigueur for a chunk of the corporate class, a smaller portion of WFH men—let’s call them tailoring holdouts—continue to cling to their blazers, suits and neckties like life rafts in a tumultuous year. These men found comfort in their sartorial formality, even if they never want to be labeled “the tie guy” on Zoom calls ever again.
What’s behind this tailoring commitment? For starters, many of these suit stalwarts are nagged by a feeling that they must maintain some level of decorum even from home. Last summer, months after the pandemic’s onset, Shawn Sukumar, 37, a trial lawyer in Washington, D.C., had his court hearings moved to video call. Though none of his superiors or others on-high specified a dress code, he felt it best to toe the line and wear his suit and tie on the calls. He believes you should look polished when speaking before a court—even digitally. And if you’re wondering: No, he never wore anything but full trousers with his sport coat even though he was only shown from the waist up. No shorts. Certainly no boxers. “I don’t trust the video on that. I wear pants every time.”
Mr. Sukumar’s legal colleagues tend to stick to suits during hearings, too, but formal fusspots who work in other fields look conspicuously odd on Zoom in their blazered looks. When his dining room became his office, Graham Pickering, 31, an engineer for an energy company outside New Orleans, continued to button up his dress shirts and blazers each day. “I just wanted to put my best foot forward because we’re a traditional conservative company in a conservative industry. I didn’t want to appear to be taking advantage of [working from home],” he said. Yet, he admits that many of his co-workers didn’t maintain such fastidious standards—and that even his boss “would probably laugh” at his sartorial rigidity.
Others feel formality encourages an industrious mind-set. Fraser Martens, 33, an economic analyst in Moscow, Idaho, has been working from home since early last year. Without his commute, or office interactions, he craves “structure” during workdays. He finds it in his chambray dress shirts and Brooks Brothers ties, which communicate to himself, “OK, it’s time for work. You’re going to be sitting in your bedroom, but you are wearing your work clothes.”
But on some level, the truth is tailoring traditionalists just like dressing up. Brandon Mitchell, 38, a Bronx-based marketing director for a nonprofit, has a closet brimming with vintage tweed jackets and flannel trousers. To him clothes are a hobby he’s compelled to indulge. As his work shifted to video calls, colleagues ribbed him that he’d be swapping his coats and ties for T-shirts in no time. Mr. Mitchell took that as a challenge and beginning in March, he started cataloging his raffish outfits on Instagram. A peak-lapel sport coat with a yellow tie one day, a glen-check blazer with brown trousers the next, a Gregory Peck-esque flannel suit the following week. His outfits were a lighthearted way to mark time during lockdown.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you share their links to social media it allows more of the article to show apparently.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cycled down to the mall today. Most roads still closed to cars but bikes and pedestrians okay. Lots of sleepy ARNG folks loading up on buses to head home. i thanked every one I passed. Workers were loading up all the flags but let passersby grab some. Got US flags for my immediate family and managed to get a few MD and PA for my close family from those states.

I had one extra US flag so I gave it to Ireland's Four Courts to put behind the bar!

View attachment 1540431

Did you take this pic?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads