• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got in a nice run on the Mall at lunch. Strong headwinds on the way out but smashing tailwind on the return. Tracksmith stuff keeps me warm.

Got an email today advertising this overshirt from Fox Bros. Really neat but I don't think I can justify another one.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is the coldest day of the season thus far. I heard that weather forecasters are predicting a colder-than-normal December for DC. Soon it will be time to break out the Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat/Sage de Cret bunny parka/Stephan Schneider Merino Coat. :slayer:
I'm just going to wear my Clint all winter unless it gets below about 15F

Love this season for similar reasons as AC, I love to layer a nice shaggy dog or cahsmere knit under the Barbour on the weekends, and all the flannel suits and trousers, plus tailored coats for the work week.

Also need to break in my Valstarino…

Got in a nice run on the Mall at lunch. Strong headwinds on the way out but smashing tailwind on the return. Tracksmith stuff keeps me warm.

Got an email today advertising this overshirt from Fox Bros. Really neat but I don't think I can justify another one.

Saw the same e-mail. tempted, very tempted.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this season for similar reasons as AC, I love to layer a nice shaggy dog or cahsmere knit under the Barbour on the weekends, and all the flannel suits and trousers, plus tailored coats for the work week.

Also need to break in my Valstarino…

Saw the same e-mail. tempted, very tempted.
The Teba Jackets are really nice as well. I love all things Fox Bros.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news for Brooks Brothers fans: Michael Bastian has been named Creative Director. Bastian is one of my favorite designers and I can't wait to see his takes on American trad and sportswear.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news for Brooks Brothers fans: Michael Bastian has been named Creative Director. Bastian is one of my favorite designers and I can't wait to see his takes on American trad and sportswear.

I guess they are shifting to strictly online now? Their website is up but their B&M stores are disappearing fast.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Bastian's name being everywhere in the late 00's and early 10's when I was reading magazines like GQ and Esquire. I really loved his aesthetic (and still do) but I feel like I haven't heard much from him in the last few years?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detailed story on Michael Bastian and the new Brooks Brothers.

trafficjam

Reaction score
I find Bastian's output profoundly uninteresting, but I don't think that disqualifies him from being a good choice for Brooks Brothers. Just make it possible to buy a normal-ass white shirt for less than $200 and I'll come back.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess they are shifting to strictly online now? Their website is up but their B&M stores are disappearing fast.

From the story AC posted:
"Turning to its retail stores, SPARC is retaining Brooks’ most profitable brick-and-mortar units while working to significantly increase the brand’s online presence, which it believes can easily be quadruple the size it is today."

I wonder if this means there may be more B&M closings, or if they are going stick with their current footprint.

I remember Bastian's name being everywhere in the late 00's and early 10's when I was reading magazines like GQ and Esquire. I really loved his aesthetic (and still do) but I feel like I haven't heard much from him in the last few years?

I was about to say the same.

Overall, I am very interested in what happens at BB. I did really like this comment from the article:
“In a whiteboard at the new Brooks Brothers offices at 1411 Broadway is the “icon list” that Bastian and the design team created to ensure the signature pieces customers expect to find when they visit the brand are not forgotten. “The customer is really loyal, but there’s been a level of frustration,” he said, when some of the classic items such as the oxford button-down shirt — “Our Levi’s 501s,” Bastian described it — are out of stock.”

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the story AC posted:
"Turning to its retail stores, SPARC is retaining Brooks’ most profitable brick-and-mortar units while working to significantly increase the brand’s online presence, which it believes can easily be quadruple the size it is today."

I wonder if this means there may be more B&M closings, or if they are going stick with their current footprint.

I was about to say the same.

Overall, I am very interested in what happens at BB. I did really like this comment from the article:
“In a whiteboard at the new Brooks Brothers offices at 1411 Broadway is the “icon list” that Bastian and the design team created to ensure the signature pieces customers expect to find when they visit the brand are not forgotten. “The customer is really loyal, but there’s been a level of frustration,” he said, when some of the classic items such as the oxford button-down shirt — “Our Levi’s 501s,” Bastian described it — are out of stock.”
Hard to believe they gave up 346 Madison Ave. Insanely expensive I’m sure but iconic.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Today is the coldest day of the season thus far. I heard that weather forecasters are predicting a colder-than-normal December for DC. Soon it will be time to break out the Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat/Sage de Cret bunny parka/Stephan Schneider Merino Coat. :slayer:
Last year they said it'd be massive blizzards and more snow than normal. We had like 2 snow days all winter. I stopped believing these weather wizards a long time ago.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So wifey gets grumpy at me as apparently everything I sent her on my Christmas ideas list was either a broken link or out of stock. Perplexed, I asked her what wasn't working? She said that "for example all links for Barneys are broken!"

She had somehow opened an older email with the same title. Did make me miss Barneys, though. :blush:

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads