• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone local to do a hem a pair of jeans and finish with a chain stitch. I was asking this alterations woman and she quoted me $30. However, I'm not sure she knows what a chain stitch is. There was a little bit of a language barrier.

I haven't found anyone local to do it. There are regular tailors who say they keep the original hem, which is a weird cut and attach job. Then, there are those who do a regular hem. A chainstitch requires a specific machine. Recently I've bought my jeans from shops that do the chainstitch based on your desired inseam and ship them.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 hours of searching for the Nintendo switch:brick:.

View attachment 1505985

Hard to tell from the pic, did you score one? I was able to find them for preorder in early November on amazon (no up charge and sold directly from Amazon, not grey market)

Had to wait two weeks, but it arrived this week and is now in the Christmas stash.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone local to do a hem a pair of jeans and finish with a chain stitch. I was asking this alterations woman and she quoted me $30. However, I'm not sure she knows what a chain stitch is. There was a little bit of a language barrier.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you gotta go to Shockoe in Richmond for a chainstitch.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't found anyone local to do it. There are regular tailors who say they keep the original hem, which is a weird cut and attach job. Then, there are those who do a regular hem. A chainstitch requires a specific machine. Recently I've bought my jeans from shops that do the chainstitch based on your desired inseam and ship them.
Thanks. I've heard of those cut/paste jobs, which would not cut it for high end selvedge. There used to be a nice denim shop at Pentagon row, but it closed a couple of years ago. I think they could do it.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've heard of those cut/paste jobs, which would not cut it for high end selvedge. There used to be a nice denim shop at Pentagon row, but it closed a couple of years ago. I think they could do it.

Denim Bar on Pentagon Row used to do chainstitching but they are loooooooong gone. The last place I used was Denim Therapy in NY: I dropped them off and they mailed them back to me.

Don't fall for the cut & sew method. It's ungood.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denim Bar on Pentagon Row used to do chainstitching but they are loooooooong gone.
The owner (Mauro) used to post here quite frequently and even hosted an SF meetup once. Good times, man.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I scored the black friday bundle which included mario kart deluxe. I would've ordered in advance but I wasn't sure my sister was okay with me purchasing the system until recently.

New to the Switch, it’s a Christmas gift for my wife and son.

Is there more than one version of Mario Kart for the switch?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met up with a college friend at the alma mater. A lot's changed around the campus. So many more places to eat than the chain dining hall places we had. Lots of new or renovated buildings. I'm almost certainly going to have one of those dreams tonight where I have an exam for a class I never went to all semester.
20201129_131722.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today is the coldest day of the season thus far. I heard that weather forecasters are predicting a colder-than-normal December for DC. Soon it will be time to break out the Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat/Sage de Cret bunny parka/Stephan Schneider Merino Coat. :slayer:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is the coldest day of the season thus far. I heard that weather forecasters are predicting a colder-than-normal December for DC. Soon it will be time to break out the Kaptain Sunshine Traveler Coat/Sage de Cret bunny parka/Stephan Schneider Merino Coat. :slayer:

I'm just going to wear my Clint all winter unless it gets below about 15F

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads