• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the DC Brooks Brothers store reopened? Or if there are any other stores in the area? That 50% off sale for an 1818 suit looks like a good deal.

plyonsla

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on Kent Wang in this thread? I discovered him in some other SF threads. Looks to be an incredible deal--you basically are getting a handmade suit that would typically retail for over $3k for under a $1k. Full floating canvass construction, hand sewn button holes, advanced customization options, etc. And his method of doing MTM (sends you a trial suit first to work from) sounds much more reliable than other online MTM sites that rely on you to take measurements (which almost always results in a disaster).

ahtynes

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on Kent Wang in this thread? I discovered him in some other SF threads. Looks to be an incredible deal--you basically are getting a handmade suit that would typically retail for over $3k for under a $1k. Full floating canvass construction, hand sewn button holes, advanced customization options, etc. And his method of doing MTM (sends you a trial suit first to work from) sounds much more reliable than other online MTM sites that rely on you to take measurements (which almost always results in a disaster).

I've been using KW for a few years. It's a great deal, as you note. I would warn you not to expect perfection the first time, which I think I would say about all but the very best MTM (something like Prologue, or Saman Amel, and maybe not even then). One of the costs of not paying the premium prices is also a lack of polish - suits come in a small box with no frills, and sometimes you have to follow up to get a response (but they're generally fine). I would recommend it on the whole.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I used them for a while and had acceptable but problematic experiences. Have one sport coat in a fabric I sourced myself and one summer suit using a Lori Piana fabric they found for me.

I PM’d you the details of my two orders

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never used KW for MTM but have gotten a few other things from them that I really like. Specifically, their deerskin touchscreen gloves are fantastic and a good value at $95. I also have their gum sole sneaks which are very nice but I wish they had half sizes as the 8 (my standard size) runs just a little large.

p.s. there's a relatively new Made to Measure thread here where a bunch of people probably have opinions on national MTM brands like KW, Hemrajani, etc.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used KW for MTM but have gotten a few other things from them that I really like. Specifically, their deerskin touchscreen gloves are fantastic and a good value at $95. I also have their gum sole sneaks which are very nice but I wish they had half sizes as the 8 (my standard size) runs just a little large.
I have one of their umbrellas that has lasted years. I called out KW a few years ago when he apparently had his midlife crisis and went caravanning around Europe. It was all kind of funny.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of their umbrellas that has lasted years. I called out KW a few years ago when he apparently had his midlife crisis and went caravanning around Europe. It was all kind of funny.
Seeing as how 2020 has probably knocked a good 15 years off my life expectancy, I think I'm about ready for a midlife crisis.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how 2020 has probably knocked a good 15 years off my life expectancy, I think I'm about ready for a midlife crisis.
My apartment building is chock full of 25-year-old Mid-Life Crises all walking around in yoga pants...

Luckily at my age I am invisible to them.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience with Kent Wang has been mixed.

I got a set of studs that fell apart the first time I tried using them.
I have a long sleeve polo/rugby that I love - purchased this year.
I have a short sleeve polo that I'm indifferent about as the fit is a little boxy - also purchased this year.
Will probably use them for their heavier cardigans.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuSu outlet is open (some good full canvas Jort line options) and Cavour has some really nice stuff (Fox, loro piana, etc.) on sale (their Mod 2 is similar to SM Neo cut and tends to be full canvas).

Might add a db charcoal suit and maybe an emerald green dinner jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics