• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t been there. I thought it would open normally without requiring tickets but it never did and then Covid hit. Is it back open now?
Yep. The museum is another one you should not attempt to see in one sitting. Go see the history of slavery exhibit in the basement, then choose another exhibit that interests you.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since work started again I’ve noticed some of my dress shirts are reaching the end of their serviceable lives for me. Thinking of a cull of shirts and some ties to LuxeSwap.

May do a restock at Mashburn of some standard white and lightly blue dress shirts.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Anybody here wear APC denim? I'm trying to figure out what size to order but it's confusing as hell and their sizing chart is not really helpful. I guess I'll just order one and try to order the right size based on that.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love a rainy day.

7B9CF56F-32F7-425A-B614-281EA699444F.jpeg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody here wear APC denim? I'm trying to figure out what size to order but it's confusing as hell and their sizing chart is not really helpful. I guess I'll just order one and try to order the right size based on that.

I did the APC thing years ago and have since tried a handful of other raw denims. I'm going to suggest an alternative. Feel free to skip to the end for the recommendation.

The raw APC denim has a lot of stretch, which I'm guessing you've read. But then they also shrink, which I'm guessing you've also read. It's not unusual to size down three and barely be able to button them and have them stretch to a comfortable point. Others prefer a fuller fit and may only size down one. Two is probably the mode. Of course, this all may also depend on which of the cuts you get. Not to mention people also like to wear their denim slimmer or fuller than others.

To be honest, it's all a bit much, if you're not super into denim. You're trying to figure out about soaking to get them to shrink. Then it takes a lot of wear to break-in. If you only wear jeans on the weekend, it will take a while, and it's not a particularly pleasant process. If you're the kinda guy who obsesses over tiny measurements (hmm ...), then dealing with the stretching and shrinking can be stressful. Nothing worse than spending a year breaking them in, having a perfect fit, washing them, and then realizing that they're now two inches too short. It happens.

There's a ton of excellent raw denim out there at similar prices, probably better quality, and without the hassle of being unsanforized denim that is gonna shrink and stretch as much as APC. Most guys should just just get sanforized denim. No painful and stressful break-in period. No games to play with sizing. Just where them wherever and whenever. They will start molding to you and develop fades pretty much the same as unsanforized. When you want to wash them, just put them in the washing machine and wash them with cold water. It's really not gonna mess with them. Pretty much the only thing you shouldn't do is put them in the dryer.

For a solid quality, basic raw denim jean that doesn't shrink or stretch very much and is pretty wearable out of the box, I recommend any of the 3sixteen 100x models. They have several different cuts, including a high rise and moderate taper that a lot of guys seem to like.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liking this. PWVC makes pretty good stuff. Not sure about forgoing a Barbour, though.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liking this. PWVC makes pretty good stuff. Not sure about forgoing a Barbour, though.

I enjoy Simon’s writing and his website. I admit I haven't purchased anything from his shop. Although some of his coats look intriguing, the pea coat, bridge coat and the current tweed Bal style coat are particularly interesting to me.

Having said all of that, if I was in the market for a wax cotton coat, I would just get a Barbour, and not spend twice what a Barbour costs for Simon’s version.

I am still debating getting this:

White linen pocket square?

A white square would have been perfect, not wearing any square is a conscious choice. Things are decidedly more somber at work post COVID, so I feel like a square of any type is “too much”. Note that pre COVID, I would always wear some sort of square, even when not wearing a tie.

Maybe I’ll return to wearing pocket squares after the election, or when a vaccine is approved, or start again in 2012...

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy Simon’s writing and his website. I admit I haven't purchased anything from his shop. Although some of his coats look intriguing, the pea coat, bridge coat and the current tweed Bal style coat are particularly interesting to me.

Having said all of that, if I was in the market for a wax cotton coat, I would just get a Barbour, and not spend twice what a Barbour costs for Simon’s version.

I am still debating getting this:

A white square would have been perfect, not wearing any square is a conscious choice. Things are decidedly more somber at work post COVID, so I feel like a square of any type is “too much”. Note that pre COVID, I would always wear some sort of square, even when not wearing a tie.

Maybe I’ll return to wearing pocket squares after the election, or when a vaccine is approved, or start again in 2012...
I’m balking at the price a bit as well. I have a linen field jacket from PWVC and the copper hardware looks good. Not completely sure I like it on a waxed jacket, though.

I basically wear a white linen tv fold daily. I just take it outat end of day and put it in the next day’s jacket.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the PWVC topic, does anyone know why there seems to be a $200 (approx.) difference between buying the Donegal top coat from the PS Store vs from PW website? Even after I put in shipping info (which should calculate taking off the VAT and shipping from the UK to US)

After inputting address and calculating shipping, on the PW site it comes to about $1200, from PS Site, it comes to just over $1000. Maybe I have to go all the way past payment on PW site to get the VAT taken off??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads