• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MEOW, I got sold some facial wash by a sales rep in the mall years ago. She was a beauty and smelled great. I told her I wasn't interested in buying anything until she rubbed up against me. I bought 3 cases........

Dead Sea salt facial wash?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This subject touched a serious nerve so we're now discussing socks, which everyone seems to agree on.

I read an interview with Peter O’Toole a few years ago about his fascination with green socks. At the time I read the article, we had a friend of the family (slight older gentlemen) who always wore yellow socks, it was his “thing”. Around that time, I was transitioning from the military to a civilian career, and decided green socks would be my thing. I set about replacing all my black and navy socks with various shades of green. The green boot socks in my “thick” sock drawer seem to pay homage to my military career.

I have found that green socks pretty much go with everything, navy suit, check, grey trousers, but of course, tan or brown trousers, too easy. I am pretty sure as I eye to future of getting a black tie rig, I’ll likely wear dark green socks with that too.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening Monday. I'm more of an East Wing guy, but I'll check this out next week during my time off.
I went to the West Wing on the first day of my staycation today. It's well worth a visit if you like Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the West Wing on the first day of my staycation today. It's well worth a visit if you like Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art.
Is it open with timed-passes like the other galleries? Is the whole building open?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just arranged for a visit to Hemrajani next week. Will focus on fall/winter weight casual shirts and maybe some linens for summer. Any suggestions for colors? I'm pretty well covered with blues and reds for fall/winter. A green check is on my agenda but other suggestions would be welcome.
For winter: plaid cotton/cashmere blends are excellent. Great layer or slightly thick enough to be an over shirt when it’s not too cold. A good thick wool glen plaid shirt is a staple as well. I’ll miss being able to get those at Brooks.

For summer: I picked up several of the Japanese linen shirts from Drake’s this last summer and loved them. Yellow, orange, and pink. All bright but not neon highlighter-bright. The colors worked great for the summer.

View attachment 1481307 View attachment 1481308

Did a little digging around on Permanent Style and I think I've settled on some of the following:

Fall/Winter: White Oxford Cloth button down, blue/white striped oxford cloth button down, green checked shirt (not sure about pattern), light gray solid, some shade of light brown/cream, dark yellow/mustard. Doubt I will get all of these - maybe 4, but will see what they have in their books. Aiming at around $60-80 a shirt so I'm sure that price point will help since the books can be overwhelming.

I'll hold off on spring/summer shirts until they visit again (I suppose early next year).

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got yelled at in the Drake’s thread again for complaining that they were asking $2k for a synthetic blend suit.
I think some people yell at you in the Drake's thread for sport. Keep it up though; I think you are doing it right!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it open with timed-passes like the other galleries? Is the whole building open?
Timed entry-passes are required. The entire building is not open, but a good part of it is. I spent a little over 1.5 hours in the galleries.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me disparaging the new lookbook. Comments back weren't as vicious as the last look book but Derek's were mostly aimed at me followed by lots of Drake's pics.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This subject touched a serious nerve so we're now discussing socks, which everyone seems to agree on.
Socks, socks, and socks. No other topics or free association, just socks, socks, sex, socks, and socks. Wait, oops...

I wore these all summer in blue, brown, and tan. Best linen socks I've ever had.

Ben Silver makes my favorite winter socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads