• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the barber for the first time since covid today (Raphael's in Silver Spring). Got bitten by 4 mosquitoes while waiting outside 10 minutes for my appointment. Is it just me or are mosquitoes sticking around much later than they used to?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally. I got bitten wearing shorts sitting outside Lyon Hall the other night. No freeze yet to kill them off I think.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the barber for the first time since covid today (Raphael's in Silver Spring). Got bitten by 4 mosquitoes while waiting outside 10 minutes for my appointment. Is it just me or are mosquitoes sticking around much later than they used to?
Totally. I got bitten wearing shorts sitting outside Lyon Hall the other night. No freeze yet to kill them off I think.

We were talking about this the other night. I think @smittycl is right. It’s been cool, but not cold enough to get them to die, or hibernate or whatever they do to stop bothering.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are you talking about??? Your comment is kind of anti-semitic. No one mentioned stuff from the Dead Sea. Also, I have no clue what you mean by "questionable underlying intentions" and I don't think it's the case that most people selling Dead Sea products in US malls are Israeli. Also, it is hard to interpret your claim that they--Israelis--"tend to ask too personal questions a lot of the time" in a remotely positive light. Your suggestion that it is some scheme to get into America is both unfounded and xenophobic. Best case scenario, you are spreading negative stereotypes about Israelis unprompted.

You also recently called human beings "riff raff" in another post. Just thought I would tack that on.
Anti-Semitic because I know the people selling dead sea moisturizer are hired by an Israeli company and are from Israel themselves?

OK.

I know yiddish for Christs-sake. But please tell me how racist I am towards Jews.:rolleyes:

Calling people riff-raff is now off the table too? Stop clutching your pearls so hard.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
567082.jpg

(Not going to quote for this one because the original post was very stupid and I'd strongly recommend the person delete it or move it to 4chan where that **** belongs)

Last edited:

plyonsla

Reaction score
Another enjoyable experience at Sid Mashburn yesterday. Bought this beautiful top coat--incredibly comfortable, excellent construction:

As well as this very comfortable pair of sport trousers:

You guys have gotten me hooked. I used to shop at Bonobos for casualwear, but I have since realized their quality-to-price is not even close to worth it (especially since they are now owned by Walmart).

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was approached by a total babe of a TJ salesperson once (and also by annoying male salespeople on other occasions). Talked with her for 30 minutes as her perfume was amazing but then took her card and left.

Walk around DC (pre-COVID anyway) looking like you know how to dress and they will find you.
They've never contacted me :confused2:
They never contacted me either. BUT I was once approached at a local mall by a young lady who wanted me to be a model. I got a card and everything.

Oh, whenever my young daughter says something about looks in the family or whether she wants to be an instragram "influencer", I always regale her with this tale. The usual eye rolls from mother and daughter follow.

Last edited:

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Late to the real estate chat but I bought a townhouse back in 2013 in West Springfield. Back then I was single but now I'm married with kids, which has given me an urgent need to move to a single family house. Looking forward to paying $4k-$5k per month on a mortgage since my wife is looking at overpriced mansions in Oakton. FML

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Anti-Semitic because I know the people selling dead sea moisturizer are hired by an Israeli company and are from Israel themselves?

OK.

I know yiddish for Christs-sake. But please tell me how racist I am towards Jews.:rolleyes:

Calling people riff-raff is now off the table too? Stop clutching your pearls so hard.

I don't want to stay on this very long, but several points.

1) Anti-Semitic because you alleged that they have hidden underlying intentions, sell products just to get into the country, ask questions that are too personal...all without much of any prompting. You indulged in certain harmful tropes (e.g. speculating on hidden schemes that have no factual basis); that is why I called your comment Anti-Semitic.

2) "I know yiddish for Christs-sake". Never thought I'd see that sentence... But in all seriousness, one can know Yiddish and still say Anti-Semitic things. I was recently watching Claude Lanzmann's Shoah and he was interviewing people in Poland who lived alongside Jews before the Holocaust. Many of them were quite Anti-Semitic--often obliviously so--yet still spoke Yiddish. I am not insinuating that you are like these people, just that speaking Yiddish doesn't necessarily mean much with regards to whether or not someone is Anti-Semitic. It's more an indication of where you come from and the people you are around than anything else.

3) I didn't say you were Anti-Semitic; I said your comment was.

4) Not that this really matters one way or the other, but do you actually speak Yiddish, or do you know a few phrases and/or speak German?

5) 'Riffraff' should be reserved for people who like to wear their pants with 6 inch hems. In all seriousness, I think earnestly referring to people as riffraff is dehumanizing. I think that using words life 'riffraff' to describe others makes us less sensitive to them as real human beings, with lives, hopes, desires, etc. This isn't a political point so much as it is a moral one.

I hope we can get back to clothes now.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Closet full of overcoats, pea coats, trenches, work jackets, and winter sport coats and it’s still too warm to wear anything. Got slightly overheated just walking to Metro is a suit this morning.

It’s almost November!

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closet full of overcoats, pea coats, trenches, work jackets, and winter sport coats and it’s still too warm to wear anything. Got slightly overheated just walking to Metro is a suit this morning.

It’s almost November!

historical average high for DC on Halloween is 62. So we’re right on target for normal weather this year it looks like.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
historical average high for DC on Halloween is 62. So we’re right on target for normal weather this year it looks like.
Huh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics