• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Fed with a lot of use-or-lose leave, so I'm taking off work beginning next Monday through the election. Obviously, there are significant restrictions on places to visit now. I was planning a trip to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, then Pennsylvania was put on the list of high-risk areas that require 14-day quarantine upon return to DC. Instead, I'm thinking of a lot of visits to DC museums, with a possible day trip to Baltimore and an overnight trip to Richmond. I welcome any additional suggestions of how to spend my "vacation." I don't have a car and don't want to rent one, and am skittish about flying.

If the situation hcanges, both Philly and P'Burg are fun. Philly has the great art museaum. P'Burg has a decnt crop of craft breweries downtown.

If B'more stays on your list let me know, plenty of good stuff to get into there. (Zoo, Art Museums, Aquarium, plus tons of outdoor dining)

Without a car, are you going to train up from DC?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the MARC train from Union Station in DC to Penn Station in Baltimore is cheap and convenient.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Fed with a lot of use-or-lose leave, so I'm taking off work beginning next Monday through the election. Obviously, there are significant restrictions on places to visit now. I was planning a trip to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, then Pennsylvania was put on the list of high-risk areas that require 14-day quarantine upon return to DC. Instead, I'm thinking of a lot of visits to DC museums, with a possible day trip to Baltimore and an overnight trip to Richmond. I welcome any additional suggestions of how to spend my "vacation." I don't have a car and don't want to rent one, and am skittish about flying.
DC museums are mostly closed and the few that are open require timed passes. I went to the National Gallery last week but unfortunately only the bottom floor was open. No Impressionist fix for me.

I would go for a nice cabin in Western MD or VA. We used to stay at Savage River Lodge and it was quite nice. No light pollution, quiet, a lodge for dinner but they might be delivering to cabins now. Hiking and such.

No sense in going to a city while Covid is increasing. Granted this area seems stable for now but I doubt it will last.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m dreaming of when wifey and I can be on the Acela to Manhattan.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manhattan is open for business. NY is not on DC's list of high-risk states. Although I wonder if visiting NYC now is like going to a restaurant that just reopened after being shut down for multiple health-code violations. :hide:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get lunch at Thames Street Oyster House in Fells Point. Love that place.
Vacations for me are mostly about eating and drinking.

Same here, its all about when and where we are going to eat. TS Oysters is good, plenty of great finds in the part of town, I can lay out a whole weekend's worth of meals if @Ambulance Chaser decides to visit.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manhattan is open for business. NY is not on DC's list of high-risk states. Although I wonder if visiting NYC now is like going to a restaurant that just reopened after being shut down for multiple health-code violations. :hide:
In all seriousness the season is changing and Manhattan is not known for its outdoor dining. I personally wrote the year off starting back in March. Got by treating every long bike ride as a mini-vacation (with beer at the end!).

Going to be an ugly holiday season here. I think hospitalizations and deaths in the US will seriously increase over the next few weeks as the outbreak in the North and Midwest continues.

Cabin or beach would be my recs. Quiet and somewhat empty on the ocean.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had some free time right now, I'd consider checking out the peak leaf season in the Shenandoah Valley. Lots of hiking, breweries, and other charming little towns to explore within a couple hours of D.C. The Blackurn Inn is a nice hotel near Staunton, which is accessible by train from D.C. However, it's pretty tough to explore that area without a car.

Soppiantare

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of vintage corduroys and chinos I want tapered slightly below the knee. Based on comments from earlier this year, it seems like Field is the place to go in DC for tailoring. They're a little out of my price range though, so I'm looking for other options.

I see a lot of comments here about Melvin's Custom Tailoring, and I've also heard good things about Stephen the Tailor, but nothing newer than eight years old. Are these guys still as good as they used to be? Is their pricing still fair for the DC area? Stephen seems like the easier tailor to work with based on reviews, but I'm afraid I'll get the low-quality "student treatment" (I'm not a student but look young enough to be one) people in the past have complained about if I go to him.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take all my clothing that needs to be tailored to Christopher Kim. He's very good and less expensive than Field, but definitely not cheap. He's much more conveniently located (near Farragut North metro) and turns around work more quickly, which is why I moved my business to him from Field.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of vintage corduroys and chinos I want tapered slightly below the knee. Based on comments from earlier this year, it seems like Field is the place to go in DC for tailoring. They're a little out of my price range though, so I'm looking for other options.

I see a lot of comments here about Melvin's Custom Tailoring, and I've also heard good things about Stephen the Tailor, but nothing newer than eight years old. Are these guys still as good as they used to be? Is their pricing still fair for the DC area? Stephen seems like the easier tailor to work with based on reviews, but I'm afraid I'll get the low-quality "student treatment" (I'm not a student but look young enough to be one) people in the past have complained about if I go to him.
As @Ambulance Chaser just mentioned Christopher Kim is excellent. I've used Geoffrey Lewis for over 10 years and they are simply outstanding. 15th & H downtown.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC museums are mostly closed and the few that are open require timed passes. I went to the National Gallery last week but unfortunately only the bottom floor was open. No Impressionist fix for me.
Opening Monday. I'm more of an East Wing guy, but I'll check this out next week during my time off.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening Monday. I'm more of an East Wing guy, but I'll check this out next week during my time off.
Excellent! I love the East Wing as well. Love Rothko, Rauschenberg, Johns, and such!

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just spent the day in Shenandoah on my day off.

it’s definitely peak foliage this week, some trees have already lost their leaves.

definitely go during the week to avoid long lines and crowds. And the central section between Thornton and Swift Run has most of the good overlooks on Skyline drive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads