• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

WSW

Reaction score
Do you have any photos of your Field commissions? I don't think I've seen his work.
IMG_1827.jpg

I don't have many photos unfortunately but do have one of an earlier commission in a subtle Dormeuil glencheck. His coats are fairly structured and flattering to normal to athletic builds. Construction is traditional with lots of handwork.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for such thoughtful advice. What are your thoughts on a ticket pocket? Does that reduce the formality of the suit? I am thinking of doing a fairly formal, staple suit. It will be either a navy or charcoal year-round material, notch lapels, single breasted, two buttons, and two pairs of trousers with side adjusters instead of belt loops

I’m strongly in the no ticket pocket camp. I get all my jackets with welted pockets or patch pockets. But that’s a personal preference. English tailors (field included) insist on flaps. But I tuck them in.

I like what you’re thinking though.

Good suggestions from the other posters but if you are still in doubt, Will does give good advice. He also has a nice rotating selection of fabrics in stock that could be fun to peruse. I have a couple of commissions where I came in with a particular book or two in mind and changed my mind when I saw the new bolts.

FYI he is running about a month for new commissions since he unfortunately had to lay off his staff and is doing everything himself now.

wasn’t field always 2-3 months commission time? If he can turnaround in a month, that’s quite good.

WSW

Reaction score
I’m strongly in the no ticket pocket camp. I get all my jackets with welted pockets or patch pockets. But that’s a personal preference. English tailors (field included) insist on flaps. But I tuck them in.

I like what you’re thinking though.

wasn’t field always 2-3 months commission time? If he can turnaround in a month, that’s quite good.
It depended on if it was a full suit or just a coat and if he had to order the fabric. I averaged around 5 - 7 weeks pre-COVID after my pattern was set. He still has orders but not as many as before and without any staff to help.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be bopping around Old Town Alexandria today. Anyone have any lunch recommendations?

A qualification: wife and I are attempting a "sober 'tober" (it sucks, can't wait for Nov 1) so good booze selection not a prerequisite.

Last edited:

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm going to be bopping around Old Town Alexandria today. Anyone have any lunch recommendations?
Hen Quarter. If you want more casual, they just opened a new chicken sandwich place on the bottom floor called The Rub.

Or you could try Augies which has better food imo and is outdoor seating.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Old Town, but I wish it wasn't such a PITA to get to from DC (particularly without a car). I'd probably be there a lot more.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like Old Town, but I wish it wasn't such a PITA to get to from DC (particularly without a car). I'd probably be there a lot more.
It has a metro stop and a boat service. How much more convenient can it be?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Didn't know about the boat service. How does that work?

Wharf-Water-Taxi-Map.jpg

One-Way: Adults starting at $13 | Senior (62+)/Military $12 | Children (Ages 2–11) starting at $9
Roundtrip: Adults starting at $21 | Senior (62+)/Military $19 | Children (Ages 2–11) starting at $15
One Day Pass: Adults $31
Two Day Pass: Adults $40
30-Day Pass: $95
Season Pass: $225

Alexandria/Old Town Service: Weekdays 7:00am - 9:35pm | Weekends 11:45am - 9:35pm
Georgetown Service: Daily 12:30pm - 8:15pm

Due to water conditions, the Water Taxi operates March-December each year.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a metro stop and a boat service. How much more convenient can it be?
The Metrorail stop is a mile away from the waterfront and is a much longer haul from DC than, say, Clarendon.

plyonsla

Reaction score
The sleeve buttons on the blue suit are also too high unfortunately. I would seriously avoid this shop in the future.

I never steam or press my own tailoring. If something needs attention my tailor does it for me. I would just mess it up.

It seems like you have money to spend. For a Conservative business suit I would try Hickey Freeman or Canali at Nordstrom. Both make for excellent business wear. NM has Canali and Zegna. They also carry Isaia, Brioni and Tom Ford but that stuff is astronomically pricey. Sak’s Fifth Ave (not Off 5th) has all the usual brands as well.

You could also try the Zegna and Canali stores themselves rather than going through a department store.

Last thing, have you spent any time in the law firm you’re going to be working at? How do they dress at their various levels? This is a bit dated and very caustic but worth a read:

My firm's dress attire is basically business casual for everyday wear. But everyone keeps a few suit outfits in their office to throw on if meeting with a client or going to court. I got two pairs of trousers for each of these two suits so my plan was to wear the trousers in rotation everyday with a white or blue shirt. That way, I can throw a tie on and corresponding suit jacket in my office and I'm good to go.

I'm caught between getting a Zegna or Canali suit or going true bespoke. I likely will fit a RTW suit pretty well (with tailoring) because I fit OTR stuff fairly well generally. But getting an incredible bespoke suit from Chris Despos in Chicago or a NYC option sounds great as well. I'm guessing the main difference is price--Zegna or Canali seem to be around $2k and up whereas true bespoke runs $4k and up.
[/QUOTE]

Here are some pictures of me wearing my Brimble & Clark suit. Interested in any views on the fit.

Attachments

• 7847EAE5-1788-41BF-9B24-6926E3AECF5D.jpeg
    7847EAE5-1788-41BF-9B24-6926E3AECF5D.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 9
  • FF55FF74-EA79-40A3-B993-59D7C6C5933B.jpeg
    FF55FF74-EA79-40A3-B993-59D7C6C5933B.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8B431CB6-96BD-4F89-B0CF-B9723171F54E.jpeg
    8B431CB6-96BD-4F89-B0CF-B9723171F54E.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 7
  • EB394C2F-C28B-42CE-ABB3-EFEC88A47E7A.jpeg
    EB394C2F-C28B-42CE-ABB3-EFEC88A47E7A.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 0813FB19-4A25-420D-A314-0D27D2CBF9E2.jpeg
    0813FB19-4A25-420D-A314-0D27D2CBF9E2.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 15

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads