• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

plyonsla

Reaction score
Thank you very much for such thoughtful advice. What are your thoughts on a ticket pocket? Does that reduce the formality of the suit? I am thinking of doing a fairly formal, staple suit. It will be either a navy or charcoal year-round material, notch lapels, single breasted, two buttons, and two pairs of trousers with side adjusters instead of belt loops

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love ticket pockets and had one added to my last MTM suit from Steed. Have them on lots of RTW as well. Never an issue.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with @smittycl ticket pockets are great on a single breasted suit (I don't own any double breasted but I wouldn't get a ticket pocket on one cause there's already a lot going on). I don't think it makes the suit any more or less formal though. If it's within your price range, I'd add in a waistcoat, especially if you work in a cold office and tend to remove your jacket during the day.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
As Trad as I can get for Friday challenge. Sid Mashburn (Scuderi) hopsack sport coat, Zegna shirt, Drake's tie, Canali pants, AE Strand in Dublin leather. Sitting out back at Kramer Books & Afterwords. Good chow actually and Oktoberfest beer on tap!

View attachment 1478030
what do you use to keep your pocket square in place? I got fed up and bought this...
seems to be doing the trick, but i am just wondering

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
what do you use to keep your pocket square in place? I got fed up and bought this...

I just use a big enough pocket square and make sure it touches the bottom of the pocket so it doesn't fall down. Pretty sure this is what most people do. Had never heard of anyone using something to keep one in place until now.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use a big enough pocket square and make sure it touches the bottom of the pocket so it doesn't fall down. Pretty sure this is what most people do. Had never heard of anyone using something to keep one in place until now.
How quickly we've all forgotten the single worst idea in menswear history:
fallon pocket square.JPG

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the material of the square can help keep it in place. Wool/silk blends grip a little better and prevent them from sliding down the pocket.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use a napkin or tissue paper. Stuff it in the bottom of the pocket, and place your square on top. No additional bulk from the paper, and your square stays up all day.

WSW

Reaction score
I am planning to commission a suit from Will at Field English Custom Tailors. This will be my first English style suit (and first true bespoke suit). Do any members have any color recommendations for a traditional English cut suit? I am a soon-to-be lawyer and only have two MTM suits right now--two Neapolitan style suits (navy and charcoal) with no shoulder padding (previously shared these on the forum).
Good suggestions from the other posters but if you are still in doubt, Will does give good advice. He also has a nice rotating selection of fabrics in stock that could be fun to peruse. I have a couple of commissions where I came in with a particular book or two in mind and changed my mind when I saw the new bolts.

FYI he is running about a month for new commissions since he unfortunately had to lay off his staff and is doing everything himself now.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions from the other posters but if you are still in doubt, Will does give good advice. He also has a nice rotating selection of fabrics in stock that could be fun to peruse. I have a couple of commissions where I came in with a particular book or two in mind and changed my mind when I saw the new bolts.

FYI he is running about a month for new commissions since he unfortunately had to lay off his staff and is doing everything himself now.
Do you have any photos of your Field commissions? I don't think I've seen his work.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're in good shape. Will likes severe waist suppression.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads