• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was cold this morning!
I overheated walking to Metro this morning as it was really humid. Needs to get into 40’s before I need a coat.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Metro in Santandrea suit. I think this one has my widest lapels and lowest gorge. Marinella tie had a nice dimple this morning but lost it after lunchtime work out. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

97415C95-8DAF-4917-91AE-C18C8994A368.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had dinner in Dupont Circle tonight and walked back to Farragut West. BB at Connecticut & M was all closed up and emptied. It was full (I think) just a few weeks ago. Store was closed but window displays were up and store was stocked, lights on. Lease sign up now. Bought my first real suits there. :wow:

IMG_1394.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Trad as I can get for Friday challenge. Sid Mashburn (Scuderi) hopsack sport coat, Zegna shirt, Drake's tie, Canali pants, AE Strand in Dublin leather. Sitting out back at Kramer Books & Afterwords. Good chow actually and Oktoberfest beer on tap!

IMG_1393.jpg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had dinner in Dupont Circle tonight and walked back to Farragut West. BB at Connecticut & M was all closed up and emptied. It was full (I think) just a few weeks ago. Store was closed but window displays were up and store was stocked, lights on. Lease sign up now. Bought my first real suits there. :wow:

View attachment 1478024
What happens to their leftover stock?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens to their leftover stock?
I'm guessing it goes back to a warehouse as their website is still there? I'm looking at some outwear as Christmas gifts for folks and waiting on inevitable deeper sale.

plyonsla

Reaction score

View attachment 1478024

Very sad and unfortunately the end-result for many menswear companies. They start off building a brand through offering high qualify clothing and forming a customer base. The company is then acquired by a larger entity that outsources production overseas and exploits the brand name. Customers gradually leave realizing that the quality is no longer the same. Same story with J. Crew. Buy made in USA or Europe. Better to invest in quality clothing that lasts rather than new clothing that you throw out after a year (such as H&M).

plyonsla

Reaction score
I am planning to commission a suit from Will at Field English Custom Tailors. This will be my first English style suit (and first true bespoke suit). Do any members have any color recommendations for a traditional English cut suit? I am a soon-to-be lawyer and only have two MTM suits right now--two Neapolitan style suits (navy and charcoal) with no shoulder padding (previously shared these on the forum).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning to commission a suit from Will at Field English Custom Tailors. This will be my first English style suit (and first true bespoke suit). Do any members have any color recommendations for a traditional English cut suit? I am a soon-to-be lawyer and only have two MTM suits right now--two Neapolitan style suits (navy and charcoal) with no shoulder padding (previously shared these on the forum).
You probably can’t go wrong with either a navy or mid-gray suit. A tasteful pinstripe would work as well I guess. If you’re spending that kind of coin I would definitely stick to a staple so it lasts stylistically anyway.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sad and unfortunately the end-result for many menswear companies. They start off building a brand through offering high qualify clothing and forming a customer base. The company is then acquired by a larger entity that outsources production overseas and exploits the brand name. Customers gradually leave realizing that the quality is no longer the same. Same story with J. Crew. Buy made in USA or Europe. Better to invest in quality clothing that lasts rather than new clothing that you throw out after a year (such as H&M).
I generally recommend against making too much out of the provenance label since companies can manipulate their production just to get a "made in USA" or "made in Italy" label. Lots of countries outside the US and Europe have long histories of making quality clothes.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you already have a navy and charcoal, I think there's nothing more English than a mid-gray glen plaid flannel 3-piece.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A medium grey birdseye suit was my first entry into bespoke.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you go bespoke. You’re rebuilding your wardrobe. So think about it as if you had nothing. Eventually you will replace your mtms with bespoke. I’d probably get a solid navy suit. If I was to do my first bespoke suit over again (I ended up getting a double breasted gray flannel, which, while good, is useful for 3 months of the year). Solid navy, single breasted, notch lapels. People won’t know what it is about the suit, but they’ll know it looks good.

the next question is fabric: it depends if you run hot or not. If you’re in DC, you won’t want an 12 oz worsted in the summer, unless you’re never going outside - especially with British tailoring which has more structure. Also consider when you’ll get the suit - will you have it by June? Or by January? (That impacts opportunities to wear it & allows you time to commission a summer suit.)

for me, personally, Bc I run hot, I would get a 4 ply navy or mid gray suit out of the smith finmeresco or drapers ascot book. There are, of course, other good books. But I’d start there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads