• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday and shed a single tear. Marvin's closing will hurt me the most. Sitting on their rooftop in my 'Peaky Binders' overcoat on a bitterly cold winter Sunday, smoking a cigar and sipping a scotch while ignoring whatever game was being projected on the wall and reading a book on my Nook was one of life's pure pleasures

R.I.P.

Tapp and Parlour / Bohemian Caverns was my favorite spot back in the day. Marvin's was always crowded and I couldn't get past the long lines.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tapp and Parlour / Bohemian Caverns was my favorite spot back in the day. Marvin's was always crowded and I couldn't get past the long lines.

I've always made it a habit of chopping it up with bouncers, especially when places are empty. That way you never have to wait on a line

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't frequented The Brixton much lately but very sad to see American Ice Company go - I was just there last Sunday.

If you like American Ice, please go to Garden District, the original spot for BBQ and beer in that neighborhood. Good outdoor space. A well-edited and interesting beer list. One of the better burgers around. My two good friends opened that place, so I'm admittedly biased. One sadly passed away a few years ago, but the other friend has been working hard to keep it open through COVID.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like American Ice, please go to Garden District, the original spot for BBQ and beer in that neighborhood. Good outdoor space. A well-edited and interesting beer list. One of the better burgers around. My two good friends opened that place, so I'm admittedly biased. One sadly passed away a few years ago, but the other friend has been working hard to keep it open through COVID.
Been a little while since I've been to Garden District but I remember really liking it (the hush puppies were good). Even before COVID I'd been going to bars less and less but once this is all over I think I'll quite my job and become a full-time scenester.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now that I've started plugging my friend's business, I'll keep going and recommend Etto, which is just a few blocks down 14th from Garden District. It was also opened by my same two friends along with the folks from 2 Amys. The pizza is very good and uses a unique crust that I really like. Neapolitan-style pizza isn't really made for takeout/delivery, but I pop it in the oven for a few minutes and it helps a lot. But the small plates are where the restaurant really shines. Some solid wine options too.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
i am hungry... hush puppies... pizza...

though i should stay away from them otherwise more money to my tailor to adjust the waist line.

salad... here I come!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My ex loved that place, esp lobster rolls on Sunday morning.

She got it in the breakup

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good . . .

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good . . .

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on my couch. I'll be sitting pretty for a while.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHO and CDC predict a horrible fall. Cases are shooting up all over and hospitalizations and fatalities will start hitting next month.

I think DC’s cases are low because everything shut down. Really sucks for all but the current policies seem to have worked here at least.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Etto and Garden District both whip ass, I'm a big fan and I would like to go again

My (gov) office said that the earliest they plan to review returning to the office is January 1, with the additional caveat that when they do make a decision, it will be 30 days from that point. So at the very earliest, I won't be heading back to 14th st for a work lunch for at least 4 months. Personally? I give it a lot longer. "Next summer" seems reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads