• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

dc_slicker

Reaction score
And the real world isn't full of Harvey Specters. Even in a NYC law firm, people are still probably in poorly made, cheap suits.
i would imagine them working like dogs most of the time and not looking as sharp and put together as Harvey.

TBH, the nit-picking you'll see on Styleforum is stuff no normal person would ever in a million years notice. What people will notice is how the suit fits on you (and even then, most people are way more forgiving than we are). You could post photos of you wearing the suit in the Tailor's Thread and Despos regularly gives fit comments and alterations suggestions on there.
You are so right... before joining this forum, I was happy in my clothes... now I know so many terms that describe bad fit... :(
my wife hates it since now i need more clothes that fit just right... and extra expenses at my tailor. :)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my wife hates it since now i need more clothes that fit just right... and extra expenses at my tailor. :)
Same here. Now wifey points out ill-fitting clothes on other guys and gets mad at me for training her to do that.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another reason why I wish I never found this forum. I cant go back after knowing what I know about clothes. Ignorance is bliss.

Do you know how much **** I gave away in disgust after finding this site? We are all Eliza Doolittle

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the night life in DC will look when things go back to normal. The Brixton was a legit spot.
I don't have a lot of experience on U Street beyond the Lincoln Theater, Vinoteca and a few other places.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing reports that smoke from the West coast has wafted our way and is causing hazy conditions in our area. Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't, but I have poor eyesight and am generally unperceptive.

I was in Florida from last Thursday til Monday for a wedding and as a result have been self quarantining. When I came back I noticed the smell long before the haze and my sense of smell sucks. I guess my eyes aren't too good either

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw this yesterday and shed a single tear. Marvin's closing will hurt me the most. Sitting on their rooftop in my 'Peaky Binders' overcoat on a bitterly cold winter Sunday, smoking a cigar and sipping a scotch while ignoring whatever game was being projected on the wall and reading a book on my Nook was one of life's pure pleasures

R.I.P.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll miss the Gibson the most because it was a pioneer in the DC cocktail scene. But I have fond memories of the Brixton as well. Great rooftop for warm weather. We had a DC StyleForum meetup there many years ago.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll miss the Gibson the most because it was a pioneer in the DC cocktail scene. But I have fond memories of the Brixton as well. Great rooftop for warm weather. We had a DC StyleForum meetup there many years ago.

I initially liked the Brixton but until it started attracting the Route 1/College Park-esque crowd.

Good friend of mine who is/was(is?) the bar manager at The Park on 14th took over Cafe Saint-Ex on 14th street. That has become my new go-to spot. They have outdoor seating as well so that is cool too

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope these aren't permanent closures. I hadn't frequented The Brixton much lately but very sad to see American Ice Company go - I was just there last Sunday. Had a ton of memories at Marvin. The Gibson was great too. I'm really confused why the company couldn't make dining on their roofs/patios work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads