• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
This is not classic menswear. This is a fad or a trend. You'd find more love for this stuff over in the streetwear part of this website. I don't know anyone over the age of 30 that'd ever wear this type of clothing.
True, not CM. Did post it in the NWMA thread. Got some responses
I'll keep in mind the age comment.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
Well, luckily my birthday was actually 3 weeks ago. Just got around to celebrating it yesterday.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1458172
From No,Man Walks Alone.
Wore this for my birthday celebration yesterday. One friend said did,not look good for someone overweight and baggy clothes are not "in" now. Other friend says too exotic.
Nobody in that thread is allowed to say anything negative though or they'll be banned from buying NMWA ever again :)

I believe this outfit is for millennials who aren't into wearing traditional suits. I couldn't pull it off but I can see a fair amount of analyst at my firm who are in their Mid 20's make it work.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this outfit is for millennials who aren't into wearing traditional suits. I couldn't pull it off but I can see a fair amount of analyst at my firm who are in their Mid 20's make it work.
Yeah, I’d look like an older guy having a midlife crisis. +20 Style cool points to @bmoredcstyle for dressing boldly!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d look like an older guy having a midlife crisis.
Moleman.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1458172
From No,Man Walks Alone.
Wore this for my birthday celebration yesterday. One friend said did,not look good for someone overweight and baggy clothes are not "in" now. Other friend says too exotic.

The jacket is versatile as a casual light jacket. But, the pants? As someone shorter than average, they would definitely make me look like I'm walking around with a full diaper.

plyonsla

Reaction score
Glad to help. If you're a reasonably easy fit I would just stick with RTW at first then branch out once you refine what you really want.
I do typically fit RTW suits. Do you have any particular recommendations for a really good, conservative suit? I really like some of the Zegna suits I've seen at Neiman Marcus.
[/QUOTE]

I was comparing my two suits and noticed the later made navy blue one appears to be a bit better in quality. I see that the functional buttons on the sleeve are much closer to the sleeve end. Do you see the same problems as with the other charcoal suit? One thing I’m concerned about is that I think I improperly used a steamer on the prior charcoal suit, potentially blowing out the seams by putting the steamer on the suit for too long. Is that possible? I used the steamer on the back and on the front canvass piece and lapel on and above the darts.

Attachments

• EADF9215-06D1-417A-B5D8-F9FCE1B16F19.jpeg
    EADF9215-06D1-417A-B5D8-F9FCE1B16F19.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 8
  • AE62721A-A1A2-4624-8701-D260A7166AD1.jpeg
    AE62721A-A1A2-4624-8701-D260A7166AD1.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 9CCEBE67-0DDB-42CD-964D-6B368DCC8794.jpeg
    9CCEBE67-0DDB-42CD-964D-6B368DCC8794.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 8946F3F1-008D-4DFE-806C-C34CAEDD0332.jpeg
    8946F3F1-008D-4DFE-806C-C34CAEDD0332.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 30E3B9EB-E8C2-4574-B0A7-4E26A21BC48D.jpeg
    30E3B9EB-E8C2-4574-B0A7-4E26A21BC48D.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 20

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see the same problems as with the other charcoal suit? One thing I’m concerned about is that I think I improperly used a steamer on the prior charcoal suit, potentially blowing out the seams by putting the steamer on the suit for too long. Is that possible?
[/QUOTE]
The sleeve buttons on the blue suit are also too high unfortunately. I would seriously avoid this shop in the future.

I never steam or press my own tailoring. If something needs attention my tailor does it for me. I would just mess it up.

It seems like you have money to spend. For a Conservative business suit I would try Hickey Freeman or Canali at Nordstrom. Both make for excellent business wear. NM has Canali and Zegna. They also carry Isaia, Brioni and Tom Ford but that stuff is astronomically pricey. Sak’s Fifth Ave (not Off 5th) has all the usual brands as well.

You could also try the Zegna and Canali stores themselves rather than going through a department store.

Last thing, have you spent any time in the law firm you’re going to be working at? How do they dress at their various levels? This is a bit dated and very caustic but worth a read:

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ever get your tie dimple just right in the morning and think to yourself, "today's going to be a good day"? Feels like those days are fewer and far between now but they still happen!
View attachment 1458681
Put on an Isaia suit, eHab shirt and square, Panta tie for a video hearing.
Smashing!!! That’s also how I work green into CM. Tie or scarf but nothing more.

Same here with the tie dimple. Always makes me smile when it works the first time.

plyonsla

Reaction score
Do you see the same problems as with the other charcoal suit? One thing I’m concerned about is that I think I improperly used a steamer on the prior charcoal suit, potentially blowing out the seams by putting the steamer on the suit for too long. Is that possible?
The sleeve buttons on the blue suit are also too high unfortunately. I would seriously avoid this shop in the future.

I never steam or press my own tailoring. If something needs attention my tailor does it for me. I would just mess it up.

It seems like you have money to spend. For a Conservative business suit I would try Hickey Freeman or Canali at Nordstrom. Both make for excellent business wear. NM has Canali and Zegna. They also carry Isaia, Brioni and Tom Ford but that stuff is astronomically pricey. Sak’s Fifth Ave (not Off 5th) has all the usual brands as well.

You could also try the Zegna and Canali stores themselves rather than going through a department store.

Last thing, have you spent any time in the law firm you’re going to be working at? How do they dress at their various levels? This is a bit dated and very caustic but worth a read:

[/QUOTE]

My firm's dress attire is basically business casual for everyday wear. But everyone keeps a few suit outfits in their office to throw on if meeting with a client or going to court. I got two pairs of trousers for each of these two suits so my plan was to wear the trousers in rotation everyday with a white or blue shirt. That way, I can throw a tie on and corresponding suit jacket in my office and I'm good to go.

I'm caught between getting a Zegna or Canali suit or going true bespoke. I likely will fit a RTW suit pretty well (with tailoring) because I fit OTR stuff fairly well generally. But getting an incredible bespoke suit from Chris Despos in Chicago or a NYC option sounds great as well. I'm guessing the main difference is price--Zegna or Canali seem to be around $2k and up whereas true bespoke runs $4k and up.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm caught between getting a Zegna or Canali suit or going true bespoke. I likely will fit a RTW suit pretty well (with tailoring) because I fit OTR stuff fairly well generally. But getting an incredible bespoke suit from Chris Despos in Chicago or a NYC option sounds great as well. I'm guessing the main difference is price--Zegna or Canali seem to be around $2k and up whereas true bespoke runs $4k and up.
[/QUOTE]

You’re kind of all over the map, Maverick. Maybe throttle back on the F-14 a bit lest Goose get air sick? ;)

After the MTM mishap (sorry, but those two suits are train wrecks) why not just grab two OTR suits and then see how things turn out in NYC? Canali will run you around $2k per suit at full retail. Zegna is closer to $3k per suit. Most everything is either on sale or about to be on sale nowadays so you can save if you shop around. You can also get stellar biz-caz stuff from both of them.

I’ve heard only the best about Despos but highly recommend proceeding incrementally. If you’re absolutely dying to drop serious coin on a business suit just go to Oxxford. You’re in Chicago, right?

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smittycl, as always, speaks the truth.

Smashing!!! That’s also how I work green into CM. Tie or scarf but nothing more.

Same here with the tie dimple. Always makes me smile when it works the first time.
I love an olive green tie and pale pink shirt. I probably shouldn't have gone for such a matchy square though.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ever get your tie dimple just right in the morning and think to yourself, "today's going to be a good day"? Feels like those days are fewer and far between now but they still happen!
View attachment 1458681
Put on an Isaia suit, eHab shirt and square, Panta tie for a video hearing.

@smittycl, as always, speaks the truth.

I love an olive green tie and pale pink shirt. I probably shouldn't have gone for such a matchy square though.

Yeah, this is great, I love the color combo, and don't think the square is too matchy (a little matchy, but not too much)

You’re kind of all over the map, Maverick. Maybe throttle back on the F-14 a bit lest Goose get air sick? ;)

After the MTM mishap (sorry, but those two suits are train wrecks) why not just grab two OTR suits and then see how things turn out in NYC? Canali will run you around $2k per suit at full retail. Zegna is closer to $3k per suit. Most everything is either on sale or about to be on sale nowadays so you can save if you shop around. You can also get stellar biz-caz stuff from both of them.

I’ve heard only the best about Despos but highly recommend proceeding incrementally. If you’re absolutely dying to drop serious coin on a business suit just go to Oxxford. You’re in Chicago, right?

I thought this was the DC area thread ?‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads