• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the other threads was discussing how Covid is upsetting the fashion cycle which was in need of a change anyway. Impossible to get a decent coat in January as they all came out in August and bathing suits are on display in February. Doesn't make sense.

Similarly, I was just in local beer store noticing that my favorite Pumpkin beers are now out. It's August and hot out! Who wants to sip a spicy, heavy Pumpkin beer now? When I was a homeowner I'd just stock up the garage fridge but that's not an option in apartment life. Guess I'll have to grab a few and store them in my closet? Grrrrrr.

Agree on the fashion cycle, when things are on end-of-season sale before they are seasonally appropriate, things are definitely out of whack.....

I noticed some Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers starting to trickle into my local as well.

To be fair to the Oktoberfest beers, fest is in September, and therefor is only a few weeks away…

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
081120.jpg

OK, quarantine fit pic...I am Zoom-interviewing several people today so I figure if they have to dress up I might as well too. Not sure I love the tie/shirt combo, but quarantine is for experimentation, right?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1439140

OK, quarantine fit pic...I am Zoom-interviewing several people today so I figure if they have to dress up I might as well too. Not sure I love the tie/shirt combo, but quarantine is for experimentation, right?
I can never get stripes on stripes right. Best I can do is very narrow stripes on shirt and wide, block stripes on tie. Even then I never quite feel it works.

I would have gone solid shirt with that tie and maybe a pocket square that highlights the reddish-brown stripe on tie.

Last edited:

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I can never get stripes on stripes right. Best I can do is very narrow stripes on shirt and wide, block stripes on tie. Even then I never quite feel it works.

I would have gone solid shirt with that tie and maybe a pocket square that highlights the reddish-brwn stripe on tie.
Dressing up a man is a nice book and had a solid chapter with examples of how to match patterns if you are interested

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would have gone solid shirt with that tie and maybe a pocket square that highlights the reddish-brwn stripe on tie.

Maybe I'll just change ties between each interview today.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i live with my wife and 3yo son who is bouncing off the walls since he has no little kids to play with, which irritates my wife who is taking out all her frustration on me since she can't ever be harsh on the love of her life (not me...).

Do you want to swap places with me?

I usually watch my nephews after I get off from work. I get no problems from them as I run them ragged outside for a bit and then its story time and bed.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually watch my nephews after I get off from work. I get no problems from them as I run them ragged outside for a bit and then its story time and bed.
We have our 15 year old nephew living with us now. Thought I was an empty-nester but fate has a sense of humor it seems. Good kid and he wants a sport coat now after seeing me go to work!

Konnor

Reaction score
Strange question- Does anyone know of any garage/warehouse style gyms in DC? Think Westside Barbell (unconventional equipment, iron only, no AC, etc).

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, having a child under the age of five means you don't have to educate them. Friends with school-aged children tell me that the lockdown is like having two full-time jobs: first a teacher, then with your time left over, your regular job.

Indeed. We've been doing workbooks with them and other on/above grade level math. The problem is middle school math is so much different now. I know how to do algebra, but not some of the stuff she's doing. My youngest hates doing schoolwork, so that's it's own challenge. We're reading Harry Potter together and I can hardly believe how boring it is. Never saw the movies, but I'm not sure how this thing took off the way it did.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed. Obviously not seasonally correct, but I keep the house at 68 so it feels like a nice early fall day in my home office.

Speaking of not seasonally correct, I thought the combination of summer and slow sales might finally push some William Lockie cashmere shawl collar cardigans into the sale pages, but alas, they are always full price. I've wanted one for years and never pulled the trigger.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. We've been doing workbooks with them and other on/above grade level math. The problem is middle school math is so much different now. I know how to do algebra, but not some of the stuff she's doing. My youngest hates doing schoolwork, so that's it's own challenge. We're reading Harry Potter together and I can hardly believe how boring it is. Never saw the movies, but I'm not sure how this thing took off the way it did.
Those came out when my kids were young. We read them the books each night until they were old enough to read at that level themselves. My wife and I took turns each night and found ourselves catching each other up on the story as we both loved the books! Of course I was a Lord of the Rings loving D&D geek as well...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads