• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how any of those places in Friendship Heights stay open. Does anyone actually go to the Prada store?
I shopped at the Polo Ralph Lauren and Barney's Co-op stores (both RIP) while they were open. Problem is that there's no critical mass of clothing stores there to maintain business. Prada might get some business from women who shop at Saks Jandel down the street. The only reason I go to Friendship Heights any more is the Nespresso boutique in Bloomie's.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of clothing in a B&M. For the past few years, it's been NMWA, Epaulet, Mr. Porter, Yoox, and a couple of others. Better prices, better selection, better customer service.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
smittycl, next time can you post a photo standing natural with the jacket closed. Trying to get a sense of the jacket.
I didn't post this one as I was leaning to the right and the sleeves looked off.

IMG_1005.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of clothing in a B&M. For the past few years, it's been NMWA, Epaulet, Mr. Porter, Yoox, and a couple of others. Better prices, better selection, better customer service.
Same here. Once I got my basic fit down and knew how various makers fit on me I shifted to mostly online. That's why I like Zegna so much. I know their fits and I can order from anyone and be happy.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, @smittycl. If you were to order another, I would suggest making a trip to NYC to get measured for MTM (that is, once it is safe). I don't think the price differential is that much and you can improve on the fit, which is already pretty good.

I got measured at the showroom late last year, but before I could go back to select a cloth, the pandemic happened.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @smittycl. If you were to order another, I would suggest making a trip to NYC to get measured for MTM (that is, once it is safe). I don't think the price differential is that much and you can improve on the fit, which is already pretty good.

I got measured at the showroom late last year, but before I could go back to select a cloth, the pandemic happened.
I could use at least 1/2 inch in length I think, maybe a full inch?. I have some of the Summer Tweed to make up so I might give the MTM a try next year if such a thing is still possible. Of course by then we might all be working in Speedos and tank tops.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could use at least 1/2 inch in length I think, maybe a full inch?. I have some of the Summer Tweed to make up so I might give the MTM a try next year if such a thing is still possible. Of course by then we might all be working in Speedos and tank tops.
The jacket looks perfect. I think the outfit would look better with the trousers cuffed but the outfit as a whole looks amazing. Have you tried the OTR Formosa?

Agrees that it looks great. I am curious to see how Carrara fits you in 52L. MTM may be able to give you a better fit, but you have to take into account the price differential, not huge, but may not be worth it when you get such a good fit off the rack (so to speak) unless you want fabrics not offered in Greg’s RTW line.

Lastly, agree with @lordsuperb , those trou are asking for cuffs.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks perfect. I think the outfit would look better with the trousers cuffed but the outfit as a whole looks amazing. Have you tried the OTR Formosa?
Thanks. Never tried Formosa. It think the cut would work for me. Greg seems to indicate those aren’t selling much anymore? If I can make it up there I will try some on for sure.

I thought about cuffing the pants but they are flat front so I stuck with no cuffs out of habit.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agrees that it looks great. I am curious to see how Carrara fits you in 52L. MTM may be able to give you a better fit, but you have to take into account the price differential, not huge, but may not be worth it when you get such a good fit off the rack (so to speak) unless you want fabrics not offered in Greg’s RTW line.

Lastly, agree with @lordsuperb , those trou are asking for cuffs.
Huh, guess I’m reflexively doctrinaire with pants cuffs. Isn’t the general rule cuffs with pleats, and no pleats, no cuffs? Maybe the pandemic has blown the rules out of the water? :crazy:

I would have tried a 52L but that size was unavailable unfortunately.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, guess I’m reflexively doctrinaire with pants cuffs. Isn’t the general rule cuffs with pleats, and no pleats, no cuffs? Maybe the pandemic has blown the rules out of the water? :crazy:

Definitely understand sizing availability, just curious in general, how the Carrara would fit you in a Long.

Regarding cuffs, I think the plain/plain, pleated/cuff guideline is a little outdated. The only hard rule I’m aware of is plain bottoms on formal pants (true formal, with piping, worn with dinner jacket) other than that, I think it’s just personal preference.

My personal guideline is, if I think I’ll wear the trousers with a sport coat and all suits get cuffs. Casual pants that will likely never be worn with a sport coat get plain bottom.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think that with the slightly more aggressive taper you use for your pant hem, no cuff looks better. I've found that cuffs on pants with narrower hems don't fall well over the shoe.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think that with the slightly more aggressive taper you use for your pant hem, no cuff looks better. I've found that cuffs on pants with narrower hems don't fall well over the shoe.
I think you might be right. Those Anglo-Italian linen trousers I’m now thrifting are seriously tapered and cuffed and it just didn’t work for me. Huh.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads