• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wear the pants. Most of my ties are Hobers, so the knot usually is great no matter what I do, but I'll give myself a some extra time to get it right.
Hober's ties are custom right? One of these days I'm going to get my ideal tie: navy grenadine, garza grossa, 3.25" wide, 54" long.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hober's ties are custom right? One of these days I'm going to get my ideal tie: navy grenadine, garza grossa, 3.25" wide, 54" long.

Vanda will customize anything you want.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is beautiful and I want it.
nt630-1_1024x1024.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. I have about 18, about 10 grenadine among them. Various weaves. They are terrific. I narrowed them by 1/4" after I had the first half dozen made. When you can't find the orange or purple ties you want, custom becomes the only option.

I only have two purple and two orange for what it's worth.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on "luxury" pens? I've run out of my pre-covid supply at my apartment and starting to consider buying some high quality pen (hopefully something I remember not to lose). I'm thinking max $25 which isn't luxury per se but certainly not your typical corner store purchase. I'm literally penless right now so I guess a cheap purchase is in the offing tomorrow to tide me over. Would appreciate any suggestions or purchase guides especially since I may have to purchase online (i'm considering farhney's downtown if I do stop in somewhere). I am open to fountain pens although I do not have experience with them.

Pick up a Pilot Metropolitan from Amazon for $20 or so in order to see if you like writing with a fountain pen. And don't buy shite ink.

Cartridges are more practical but then again so are pre-tied bow ties and velcro shoes

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't fountain pens pose the risk of leaking? Not sure I would take the risk for a pen I'm carrying around (as opposed to be using at home exclusively).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Shibumi F
Don't fountain pens pose the risk of leaking? Not sure I would take the risk for a pen I'm carrying around (as opposed to be using at home exclusively).
My kids got me a nice fountain pen for Christmas a few years ago. It ended up leaking badly. I kept it at my desk but had to throw it away eventually.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some can give you problems when flying because of pressure changes but that's really overblown. Either empty the pen or make sure it is full.

If I could carry a fountain pen all though grade and middle school without issue, you shouldn't have any problems

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried hober. I’ll be trying vanda next. But I rarely wear ties & have been trying to get rid of neckties, not add. Since I have so little use for neckties, lately, I’ve only added 7 fold ties, although I do appreciate a good drakes tie.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
i personally stay away from those for this reason... dont want to get dressed up in my nice suit and then have ink all over it.

feel that those might be good to have on a nice executive desk for show

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads