• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh that’s good to know. Contemplating a purchase, thanks.
48084469131_3a8cb4b601_z.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide that differentiates the qualities of the balloon jacket style versus their other models?
I think Balloon is a fabric option? Not sure it’s a different cut.

What @smittycl said, Balloon cloth is a proprietary cloth developed by Ring Jacket. The sport coat you linked is a model 3. I’ve seen model 3 and model 6 jackets in balloon cloth.

Brian at HSS has a good explanation of the cloth in this article.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I saw balloon cloth Ring coats on the rack at Isetan Shinjuku a few years back

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What @smittycl said, Balloon cloth is a proprietary cloth developed by Ring Jacket. The sport coat you linked is a model 3. I’ve seen model 3 and model 6 jackets in balloon cloth.

Brian at HSS has a good explanation of the cloth in this article.
Thank you so much for sharing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing sale at Private White VC. Was looking at the G. Inglese linen shirt-jacket at NMWA but my size sold out. Just bought this one at half off. May have my tailor bring in the waist if needed. This one actually seems more my style anyway.

For someone who thinks he's clothes-sated I seem to be actively buying stuff lately!

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this sucks.
“Adams Morgan in general has crowded sidewalks, pre-pandemic. And they cite health and safety reasons for not closing down the street, but then they want to bring more people to the street to eat and drink without masks, and ask that residents walk through the same narrow sidewalks. It just blows my mind.”

WTF???

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing sale at Private White VC. Was looking at the G. Inglese linen shirt-jacket at NMWA but my size sold out. Just bought this one at half off. May have my tailor bring in the waist if needed. This one actually seems more my style anyway.

For someone who thinks he's clothes-sated I seem to be actively buying stuff lately!

I have probably purchased more during the SAH than I should have as well. I have focused on more casual/business casual items, as I don’t see us even when at work, going conservative business dress any time soon.

? we'll all hang out soon

I look forward to that day....

“Adams Morgan in general has crowded sidewalks, pre-pandemic. And they cite health and safety reasons for not closing down the street, but then they want to bring more people to the street to eat and drink without masks, and ask that residents walk through the same narrow sidewalks. It just blows my mind.”

WTF???

WTF indeed!?!?

Seems like closing streets/taking over parking lots is becoming the norm (at least in parts of maryland) wonder why DC can't see that as a medium term plan for places like AM.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent my Sunday on a productive cycle to Capitol Hill. Read some NY Times Magazine articles on the grounds before heading on a little bar hop on my way home - lunch and a couple of beers at Dacha, another stop at American Ice Co., a few more uptown near my apartment. Will have to figure out ways to curtail my beer thirst for future rides :uhoh:

During the ride I saw Marvin was shuttered - which popville confirmed. Apparently they are renovating. Brixton seemed to be empty too although it did not appear boarded up or any closure notices on the doors... surprised they can't make either of their rooftops work for them. Magnolia in Dupont is closed for the forseeable future. Black Lives Matter plaza was a remarkable micro carnival experience.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have probably purchased more during the SAH than I should have as well. I have focused on more casual/business casual items, as I don’t see us even when at work, going conservative business dress any time soon.
Yeah, I'm not willing to commit money to another suit I won't wear anytime soon. Still contemplating the NMWA cigar linen as it works as separates as well.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not willing to commit money to another suit I won't wear anytime soon. Still contemplating the NMWA cigar linen as it works as separates as well.

That is a nice looking suit that I could easily see being worn broken up as often as wearing it as a two piece.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a nice looking suit that I could easily see being worn broken up as often as wearing it as a two piece.
The NMWA guide has pics of Greg in that suit (or a similar one) broken up across four outfits on Page 76.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics