• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here about the gunclub check jacket...
It would be easier if I was actually wearing suits now. I’m guessing the current situation will hold all summer and then we’ll ease back into a more normal situation in the Fall or completely shut down again if the pandemic worsens. Ugh.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any thoughts on "luxury" pens? I've run out of my pre-covid supply at my apartment and starting to consider buying some high quality pen (hopefully something I remember not to lose). I'm thinking max $25 which isn't luxury per se but certainly not your typical corner store purchase. I'm literally penless right now so I guess a cheap purchase is in the offing tomorrow to tide me over. Would appreciate any suggestions or purchase guides especially since I may have to purchase online (i'm considering farhney's downtown if I do stop in somewhere). I am open to fountain pens although I do not have experience with them.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
Any thoughts on "luxury" pens? I've run out of my pre-covid supply at my apartment and starting to consider buying some high quality pen (hopefully something I remember not to lose). I'm thinking max $25 which isn't luxury per se but certainly not your typical corner store purchase. I'm literally penless right now so I guess a cheap purchase is in the offing tomorrow to tide me over. Would appreciate any suggestions or purchase guides especially since I may have to purchase online (i'm considering farhney's downtown if I do stop in somewhere). I am open to fountain pens although I do not have experience with them.
not a suggestion but just bought 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ORK0TI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as I do not think any of my pens mirror the rest of my professional ensemble:

I may or may not whip these pens out depending on what type of job I'm interviewing for.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here about the gunclub check jacket...
I’m thinking hard about the tobacco linen suit vs commissioning a sport coat in Derek’s summer tweed. Not sure I need both but the summer tweed is a little more subtle and work-friendly.

Getting to NYC isn’t happening anytime soon, though.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For $25 my recommendation is a Parker Jotter with an upgraded ink cartridge.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, for me jackets are much easier (and more fun) to wear, both when I was going in to the office and now "full-time" teleworking.

I'm also thinking about commissioning a Ring Jacket MTO with The Armoury, but like you, NYC ain't in the cards for the near future...

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if these are luxurious enough, but if I were going disposable fountain pens, I go with the Pilot Varsity. If you're going for something permanent at that price point, check out the Lamy Safari.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Not sure if these are luxurious enough, but if I were going disposable fountain pens, I go with the Pilot Varsity. If you're going for something permanent at that price point, check out the Lamy Safari.

Lamy Safari seems like a solid choice according to above article

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
not a suggestion but just bought 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ORK0TI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as I do not think any of my pens mirror the rest of my professional ensemble:

I may or may not whip these pens out depending on what type of job I'm interviewing for.
I know fountain pens do not fulfill the 2nd criterion if you want one for a job interview:
Do:

• Do select a pen that is reliable and does not skip or leave smudge marks on your finger
  • Do write with a fine point or roller ball as opposed to a cartridge pen that could possibly leak in your purse or pocket

blagden.boy

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads