• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's only one beer you drink with Indian food and that's Kingfisher.
The downside is that it's brewed here. Much prefer a Taj Mahal, or, even better but hard to find is Haywards. Their 5000 dark beer is for the ages and will kill even atomic Vindaloo's.

Discovered Haywards here:

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the classic Red Dwarf episode where Lister accidentally creates a Curry Monster and discovers that lager is the only thing that can kill it. :cool2:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The downside is that it's brewed here. Much prefer a Taj Mahal, or, even better but hard to find is Haywards. Their 5000 dark beer is for the ages and will kill even atomic Vindaloo's.

Discovered Haywards here:

Taj was the first Indian beer I ever tried and it definitely holds a special place in my heart. But when you're in Cochin and it's 100 degrees out and a thousand percent humidity, man there's nothing like a Kingfisher (which we had to drink out of coffee mugs because Kerala is supposed to be a dry state).

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually love the basic Sierra Nevada, and regularly have some in my fridge. Coming in at only around 45 IBUs, though, I would hardly consider it hoppy compared to most of the IPAs out there. Torpedo, on the other hand, tastes horrible to me.
Yeah, I think technically the basic Sierra Nevada is a "pale ale" but not considered an India Pale Ale (extra hops were added to the ales bound for India because apparently hops acts as a preservative for long voyages), but this just shows how beers have changed in the US. When basic Sierra Nevada came out, it was one of the hoppiest things around, and the flavor of its Cascade hops were what really set it apart. It really helped spark the IPA (and microbrew) boom. Now it is not considered especially hoppy by American ale standards.

As someone else noted, a lot of ultra hoppy high alcohol content IPAs are gimmicks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think technically the basic Sierra Nevada is a "pale ale" but not considered an India Pale Ale (extra hops were added to the ales bound for India because apparently hops acts as a preservative for long voyages), but this just shows how beers have changed in the US. When basic Sierra Nevada came out, it was one of the hoppiest things around, and the flavor of its Cascade hops were what really set it apart. It really helped spark the IPA (and microbrew) boom. Now it is not considered especially hoppy by American ale standards.

As someone else noted, a lot of ultra hoppy high alcohol content IPAs are gimmicks.
I also remember when Sierra Nevada came out out. It was fantastic. I drove through Hallertau north of Munich once where the best German hops come from. The smell is incredible. Almost makes your eyes water just like driving through Gilroy, CA with all the garlic.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
Taj was the first Indian beer I ever tried and it definitely holds a special place in my heart. But when you're in Cochin and it's 100 degrees out and a thousand percent humidity, man there's nothing like a Kingfisher (which we had to drink out of coffee mugs because Kerala is supposed to be a dry state).
my parents are in Kerala right now.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This brings up something I mentioned earlier, the original IPAs were brewed in England with extra hops as a preservative (as @knittieguy said). What I find interesting, is that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, is likely more hoppy, than a historical British IPA. Also, word is that the original IPAs (sent to India by the Brits for British Military rations) was served “full strength” to officers, and watered down when served to the enlisted.

Regardless, it is a great beer (IMHO)

Also agree with this statement: “As someone else noted, a lot of ultra hoppy high alcohol content IPAs are gimmicks.”

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! Just got back from a visit to Geoffrey Lewis. Dropped off my Ring Jacket sport coat and four pair of pants for tailoring. Feels like being human again! Now for some 90-degree cycling!

Check out this cool Fox Brothers bike collab:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never actually been to any bars in Adams Morgan. Crazy I know.

You've never got conned into going to brunch at Nellys or sat on the rooftop of The Reef Roofers Union and had drinks while looking down on the little people?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've never got conned into going to brunch at Nellys or sat on the rooftop of The Reef Roofers Union and had drinks while looking down on the little people?
Have a close friend in Cleveland Park but he’s too curmudgeonly for Adams Morgan. Just never ended up in that part of town!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright! Just got back from a visit to Geoffrey Lewis. Dropped off my Ring Jacket sport coat and four pair of pants for tailoring. Feels like being human again! Now for some 90-degree cycling!

Check out this cool Fox Brothers bike collab:

Does Geoffrey Lewis still have to pin you up when you come in for alterations? Or do they have all your measurements on file and you can just drop stuff off?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Geoffrey Lewis still have to pin you up when you come in for alterations? Or do they have all your measurements on file and you can just drop stuff off?
Today they chalk-marked everything as usual except a pair of plaid Rota pants as the chalk was hard to see. He pinned those. They don't write down measurements as I've never had anything commissioned there.

I usually hit them with many different makers and I'm glad they have me try on each garment. Today was (shameless bragging on the way...) Oxxford, Kiton, Ring Jacket, Rota, and Anglo-Italian).

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today they chalk-marked everything as usual except a pair of plaid Rota pants as the chalk was hard to see. He pinned those. They don't write down measurements as I've never had anything commissioned there.

I usually hit them with many different makers and I'm glad they have me try on each garment. Today was (shameless bragging on the way...) Oxxford, Kiton, Ring Jacket, Rota, and Anglo-Italian).

What did you kop from Anglo Italian?

I am very interested in their shirts and some of their tailoring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads