• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good list of ginger beers. My go-to is Q (#3) on the list, which Safeway sells in big bottles that are good for 4-5 drinks. It's quite a bit spicier and less sweet than most ginger beers, and makes a great Dark and Stormy.

I have used Fever Tree and Reed's Extra to good results. The Reed's is slightly sweeter, the Fever Tree is good spicy and not sweet.

I like spicy over sweet. the rum is sweet enough to me.

Agreed. although I like the Reed's (mentioned above) in a Mule

I can’t do ginger beer or anything that sweet. I fundamentally like it but the sugar messes me up.

If you're game, try a spicier Ginger like the Fever Tree....

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like all my friends when I tell them I hate IPAs. "Well you haven't tried **this** IPA." After a couple years of being a trooper and trying "this" one, I realized that all IPAs taste like **** and I stopped indulging my friends.
I'll admit that I used to claim I loved IPAs because I figured if something tastes so obviously repulsive then liking it must mean you have a refined palate. Then I visited Germany and tried actually good beer and will never have an IPA again. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll admit that I used to claim I loved IPAs because I figured if something tastes so obviously repulsive then liking it must mean you have a refined palate. Then I visited Germany and tried actually good beer and will never have an IPA again. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
I love German beer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you implying Adams Morgan should be our next meet up?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love IPAs (Sierra Nevadas are generally my favorites, both the Pale Ale and the Torpedo), but, admittedly, some brewers went off the deep end trying to make their IPA the hoppiest of the hoppies. Ended up with these double imperial IPAs that taste terrible

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love IPAs (Sierra Nevadas are generally my favorites, both the Pale Ale and the Torpedo), but, admittedly, some brewers went off the deep end trying to make their IPA the hoppiest of the hoppies. Ended up with these double imperial IPAs that taste terrible

I actually love the basic Sierra Nevada, and regularly have some in my fridge. Coming in at only around 45 IBUs, though, I would hardly consider it hoppy compared to most of the IPAs out there. Torpedo, on the other hand, tastes horrible to me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you like separate layers of rum and ginger beer? I had a Dark and Stormy that way once, and while it looked pretty, it resulted in a drink that was simultaneously too boozy and not boozy enough.

I've never seen a dark n stormy that wasn't layered. Not sure if have ever had one pre-shaken or -stirred for me. Bartenders have always left them like that for me to stir myself. I have however had a few situations where the bartender didn't offer a straw - once I actually took a couple of sips before i realized the staff messed up with the omission.

Also, why can't I find any news about Marvin closing for good? Their IG indicates they closed in March due to the lock down restrictions but nothing since then. Hope it's a false alarm.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually love the basic Sierra Nevada, and regularly have some in my fridge. Coming in at only around 45 IBUs, though, I would hardly consider it hoppy compared to most of the IPAs out there. Torpedo, on the other hand, tastes horrible to me.
I have to agree. Hop Bombs taste like someone wedge a pine cone in my beer. IPAs are great but can be over-the-top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads