• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Many of the higher end watches come with "papers." The warranty card or papers have an area for the AD to write the date and place their store's stamp and perhaps a manager's signature on it. That way the manufacturer knows when the warranty begins. Many grey market dealers will post watches as box and stamped, undated papers. That means they got them from an AD who needed to offload inventory to make rent or loans and are reselling them in a manner so that the buyer can write his own date on the papers. Others will say box and open papers, meaning no stamp or date. Some will sell box and no papers. Finally, some reputable resellers of vintage watches will say box and expired papers, because they include the original papers with no valid warranty attached - but it's still nice to know when the watch went into service.
I feel this was the best explanation of the paperwork I have ever read. Wow, Thanks again so much!

dc_slicker

Reaction score
If it looks shop worn (meaning lots of microscratches from being handled too much and banged around against the case on the way in and out, or they don't stamp and date the papers on the actual date of sale, then you can walk away. If it looks clean and unscratched and they stamp the and date the papers, you're all good.

A couple things to check. Unscrew the crown to make sure it's firmly secured and screws down properly. Lock and unlock the clap to make sure it is secure as well. When you unlock the crown consider winding the watch to make sure it feels smooth. I forget which Omega you were going to purchase. One of the watches with the co-axial movement it's going to be smoother than if you wind one on the 3892 base, which will be a little more rough. I haven't wound a manual speedy, but those should be pretty smooth too. If it feels like there are grains of sand in the movement, that probably means the lubricant has been dried out under the hot shop lights for too long. That will be taken care of under warranty through lubrication and new sealing and pressure testing, but you'll be without your new watch for a couple months immediately and nobody wants that.

If it has a date function, you also can flip through the time past midnight and see if the date wheel advances at around (usually a couple minutes before or after midnight). Don't set the date itself until you've figured out whether it's AM or PM. You don't want to do it between 9pm and midnight, because that can screw up the date function.

Contacted AD paraphrasing what you said in here about warranty stamp process and certain condition of the watch that i expect since it is almost an hour from me one way so wanted to make sure the transaction goes smoothly if i were to take a journey out to Leesburg.

His reply: "Yes the warranty card is the same as you described and actually I have couple of this watch in my stock so I give you the one that still is in manufacture packaging if you are so concern about micro scratches. Best, Farrokh"
cleardot.gif

Sounds like he has few of these just laying around and even in manufacture packaging! Hence he is giving a good deal most likely to being shutdown all this time. Like you said Omega is not Rolex or Patek and it is known to significantly drop in price after purchase hence so many people buying their Omegas either from grey markets or used. Guess I got spooked originally on being given a good price right away and seeing only 8 reviews on Yelp of this particular AD... but yeah, I wont think he will try to screw himself over as AD over a watch that is around 4k and be removed from Omega's site.
Plus... as long as i have that warranty card from manufacturer for 5 years, I am set.
Thanks again for answering all of my questions!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contacted AD paraphrasing what you said in here about warranty stamp process and certain condition of the watch that i expect since it is almost an hour from me one way so wanted to make sure the transaction goes smoothly if i were to take a journey out to Leesburg.

His reply: "Yes the warranty card is the same as you described and actually I have couple of this watch in my stock so I give you the one that still is in manufacture packaging if you are so concern about micro scratches. Best, Farrokh"
cleardot.gif

Sounds like he has few of these just laying around and even in manufacture packaging! Hence he is giving a good deal most likely to being shutdown all this time. Like you said Omega is not Rolex or Patek and it is known to significantly drop in price after purchase hence so many people buying their Omegas either from grey markets or used. Guess I got spooked originally on being given a good price right away and seeing only 8 reviews on Yelp of this particular AD... but yeah, I wont think he will try to screw himself over as AD over a watch that is around 4k and be removed from Omega's site.
Plus... as long as i have that warranty card from manufacturer for 5 years, I am set.
Thanks again for answering all of my questions!

Good luck and post pics once it's on your wrist.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Montreal was fun but I've been eyeing Toronto or Nova Scotia. Night life or beach life?
I've heard Toronto is a lot like NYC. If I'm leaving the country, I want to see something I can't see here.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toronto actually feels more like Chicago to me - it doesn't feel constrained by space the way NYC can.

That said, when the loonie is at .70ish, the entire country of Canada is on sale versus taking a weekend in the US.

Porter Airlines seems to fly out of Dulles - they fly turbo props. They are a Toronto based commuter airline. Their flights land on an island in Lake Ontario at the city airport, not the big international airport. Awesome scenery as you come in

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I've heard Toronto is a lot like NYC. If I'm leaving the country, I want to see something I can't see here.
I love Toronto! And yes. I won’t say it is NYC. Not so cramped and dirty :)

yes I feel Chicago is a closer match

food was great.
women beautiful and friendly like most Canadians

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Good luck and post pics once it's on your wrist.
AD literally got this watch out of factory box with all plastic all over it. Showed me serial number on the watch. Had warranty card with already stamped shop name.
watch is def brand new.

once again thank you for all the help!!!

Attachments

• CEAFA4B9-DD65-4E6F-A800-302BF9E0C598.jpeg
    CEAFA4B9-DD65-4E6F-A800-302BF9E0C598.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AD literally got this watch out of factory box with all plastic all over it. Showed me serial number on the watch. Had warranty card with already stamped shop name.
watch is def brand new.

once again thank you for all the help!!!

Congrats. Looks great. It may take a little while to redistribute the oils in the movement if it's been stored in the same position for a long time and sometimes new watches are out of regulation. Don't worry if it's gaining/losing 5 sec. each day, as long as it's consistent. Storing it in different positions overnight might mitigate the drift.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Congrats. Looks great. It may take a little while to redistribute the oils in the movement if it's been stored in the same position for a long time and sometimes new watches are out of regulation. Don't worry if it's gaining/losing 5 sec. each day, as long as it's consistent. Storing it in different positions overnight might mitigate the drift.

Thank you!!!

Interesting... did not know that as well. Then again, I got 5 year warranty so def happy about it.

Funny how it works... feel like if i were to buy $20 digital watch it would be more sturdy and reliable than all these fancy watches :)

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!

Interesting... did not know that as well. Then again, I got 5 year warranty so def happy about it.

Funny how it works... feel like if i were to buy $20 digital watch it would be more sturdy and reliable than all these fancy watches :)

The Seamster is a tool watch. Great for diving and swimming (if recently pressure tested). Great for timekeeping a countdown using the bezel. Very good visibility in low light. It's pretty robust as far as mechanical watches go - it's not a Breguet dress watch. I take my IWC Ingenieur off for playing softball and it's losing about a three minutes a month right now, so it's slightly out of regulation, but it's not a huge deal. I'd like to see someone's apple watch deal with an EMP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads