• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered some linen dress pants from Anglo-Italian. I've liked everything I've ordered from them so far. Needed a pair of brown linen dress pants for work in our sticky summers. The posted price includes VAT so it comes off for US customers.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from AD about this watch
“yes I do have this watch in stock. Retail is:$5,200. Your price:$4,300. The shop is currently closed but we can make an appointment if you want to purchase. Please let me know if you have any questions. Best regards, Farrokh”
Like he said it retails for 5,200 and Jomashop has it for 3,995 at the moment though I am not comfortable buying from them since it would not come with factory warranty.

Is it too good true to be true? Wondering if he is going to sneak in slightly used watch to me or something equally shady.
Few AD responded as well but no one with that good of a deal. Most had no break just threw in some free stuff like watch winder.

That’s the AD

As I said, as of a decade ago, a lot of authorized dealers would discount 10-20% depending on stock and other considerations (non-Rolex, non-Patek). Some would go even higher under rare occasions. I think it is likely they just want to move inventory in a time when they aren't doing any business. 18% off is a good deal. You might even be able to squeeze a couple more dollars off if you push it. The more serious you are, the more likely they are to make a deal. Is the extra $140 worth the effort of negotiating getting them down 20%? Only you can decide that.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered some linen dress pants from Anglo-Italian. I've liked everything I've ordered from them so far. Needed a pair of brown linen dress pants for work in our sticky summers. The posted price includes VAT so it comes off for US customers.

Should've bought the Linen Rope as well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about those! Very nice color but I already have a few similar summer pants. Will test out brown and likely get the rope as well if they work out!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rope / Sand linen trousers are my go to for work.

If these lockdown remain in effect through August I'm not complaining. I never want to have to wear pants this summer.

I've been thinking about traveling to Canada for a mini vacash in August. Hopefully things open up by then.

Last edited:

dc_slicker

Reaction score
As I said, as of a decade ago, a lot of authorized dealers would discount 10-20% depending on stock and other considerations (non-Rolex, non-Patek). Some would go even higher under rare occasions. I think it is likely they just want to move inventory in a time when they aren't doing any business. 18% off is a good deal. You might even be able to squeeze a couple more dollars off if you push it. The more serious you are, the more likely they are to make a deal. Is the extra $140 worth the effort of negotiating getting them down 20%? Only you can decide that.
Guess I was not just expecting get 900 bucks off on first ask. Hence questioning this AD
Yelp reviews are not that great...

I know that if the watch has manufacture warranty I should be ok. Still makes me uneasy

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rope / Sand linen trousers are my go to for work.

I've been thinking about traveling to Canada for a mini vacash in August. Hopefully things open up by then.
Where to? I’ve been to Vancouver, Victoria Island, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Three Rivers, and Kingston. Growing up in Toledo we did all our underage drinking in Windsor. Would like to visit Banff at some point.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where to? I’ve been to Vancouver, Victoria Island, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Three Rivers, and Kingston. Growing up in Toledo we did all our underage drinking in Windsor. Would like to visit Banff at some point.
Montreal is one of my favorite cities in North America. Very similar in spirit to New Orleans and a short flight if you live on the East Coast. Interestingly, it is the second-largest predominately French-speaking city in the world after Paris. Not a place you want to visit during the winter, but lovely during the summer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Montreal is one of my favorite cities in North America. Very similar in spirit to New Orleans and a short flight if you live on the East Coast. Interestingly, it is the second-largest predominately French-speaking city in the world after Paris. Not a place you want to visit during the winter, but lovely during the summer.
I like Canada in the winter as well. Spent a long work week and weekend in Ottawa when everything was frozen over, skating in the canal, beers by the pub fires, etc.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bagels!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I was not just expecting get 900 bucks off on first ask. Hence questioning this AD
Yelp reviews are not that great...

I know that if the watch has manufacture warranty I should be ok. Still makes me uneasy

If it looks shop worn (meaning lots of microscratches from being handled too much and banged around against the case on the way in and out, or they don't stamp and date the papers on the actual date of sale, then you can walk away. If it looks clean and unscratched and they stamp the and date the papers, you're all good.

A couple things to check. Unscrew the crown to make sure it's firmly secured and screws down properly. Lock and unlock the clap to make sure it is secure as well. When you unlock the crown consider winding the watch to make sure it feels smooth. I forget which Omega you were going to purchase. One of the watches with the co-axial movement it's going to be smoother than if you wind one on the 3892 base, which will be a little more rough. I haven't wound a manual speedy, but those should be pretty smooth too. If it feels like there are grains of sand in the movement, that probably means the lubricant has been dried out under the hot shop lights for too long. That will be taken care of under warranty through lubrication and new sealing and pressure testing, but you'll be without your new watch for a couple months immediately and nobody wants that.

If it has a date function, you also can flip through the time past midnight and see if the date wheel advances at around (usually a couple minutes before or after midnight). Don't set the date itself until you've figured out whether it's AM or PM. You don't want to do it between 9pm and midnight, because that can screw up the date function.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
If it looks shop worn (meaning lots of microscratches from being handled too much and banged around against the case on the way in and out, or they don't stamp and date the papers on the actual date of sale, then you can walk away. If it looks clean and unscratched and they stamp the and date the papers, you're all good.

A couple things to check. Unscrew the crown to make sure it's firmly secured and screws down properly. Lock and unlock the clap to make sure it is secure as well. When you unlock the crown consider winding the watch to make sure it feels smooth. I forget which Omega you were going to purchase. One of the watches with the co-axial movement it's going to be smoother than if you wind one on the 3892 base, which will be a little more rough. I haven't wound a manual speedy, but those should be pretty smooth too. If it feels like there are grains of sand in the movement, that probably means the lubricant has been dried out under the hot shop lights for too long. That will be taken care of under warranty through lubrication and new sealing and pressure testing, but you'll be without your new watch for a couple months immediately and nobody wants that.

If it has a date function, you also can flip through the time past midnight and see if the date wheel advances at around (usually a couple minutes before or after midnight). Don't set the date itself until you've figured out whether it's AM or PM. You don't want to do it between 9pm and midnight, because that can screw up the date function.
Thank you so much for all these details!
Just contacted the seller to ask about warranty and condition of the watch and was told “I’m authorized dealer over 20 years. All my watches are brand new with five years manufacturer warranty. Best Regards, Farrokh”
Sounds good. I will definitely take a look at the watch and make sure it is not all scratched up like you said. Will check to make sure I can play with crown and the bracelet and as long as I can get that 5 year warranty I should be set. Not sure if I will be able to tell how fine the wounding will be :)

about stamping of the date. How does it work exactly? When I bought my Tag I was just given the receipt and a warranty card. That’s all.
just curious what you meant

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Montreal was fun but I've been eyeing Toronto or Nova Scotia. Night life or beach life?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all these details!
Just contacted the seller to ask about warranty and condition of the watch and was told “I’m authorized dealer over 20 years. All my watches are brand new with five years manufacturer warranty. Best Regards, Farrokh”
Sounds good. I will definitely take a look at the watch and make sure it is not all scratched up like you said. Will check to make sure I can play with crown and the bracelet and as long as I can get that 5 year warranty I should be set. Not sure if I will be able to tell how fine the wounding will be :)

about stamping of the date. How does it work exactly? When I bought my Tag I was just given the receipt and a warranty card. That’s all.
just curious what you meant

Many of the higher end watches come with "papers." The warranty card or papers have an area for the AD to write the date and place their store's stamp and perhaps a manager's signature on it. That way the manufacturer knows when the warranty begins. Many grey market dealers will post watches as box and stamped, undated papers. That means they got them from an AD who needed to offload inventory to make rent or loans and are reselling them in a manner so that the buyer can write his own date on the papers. Others will say box and open papers, meaning no stamp or date. Some will sell box and no papers. Finally, some reputable resellers of vintage watches will say box and expired papers, because they include the original papers with no valid warranty attached - but it's still nice to know when the watch went into service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads