• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some cycling as per my usual Sunday routine. Broke my pledge to hold off on eating at a restaurant by trying out a newish sandwich place - serrolina. I was somehow oblivious to the rioting last night (I guess being cable-news and twitter free would do that) so only learned about the teaism, City Center damages while reading the news at lunch. On a whim cycled over to the white house to see the protests then cycled home via K street and Georgetown.
I finished moving yesterday and was too exhausted to watch much news over the past few days. Caught up now. Had lunch sitting outside at Ireland’s Four Courts in Arlington. Bought bagels for the next few days and headed home.

These are not normal times.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished moving yesterday and was too exhausted to watch much news over the past few days. Caught up now. Had lunch sitting outside at Ireland’s Four Courts in Arlington. Bought bagels for the next few days and headed home.

These are not normal times.
I miss Brooklyn bagel!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200531-220239_Messages.jpg

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Got some food at Texas Jack's BBQ... tried few different bbq places and this one is something else.

dc_slicker

Reaction score

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
No issues buying from Jomashop you said?
thinking about this watch: https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h70455533.html

or should i just get it from AD and get full factory warranty etc in case watch fails all of the sudden.
Difference is $200 give or take.
For a watch at that price, I would say go for joma, given the extra 200 for a warranty would be a 30% additional cost. I understand people who want warranties on watches that cost what a car costs, but I think you are fine going to joma for this Hamilton. Best of luck!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Also, the movement is Hamilton’s modification of a standard ETA so getting it serviced would be fairly easy if needed.
Good to know! Yeah sounds like nothing too fancy. Plus looks like they offer their own 2 year warranty for Hamilton watch: https://help.jomashop.com/articles/4683-do-you-give-a-warranty-with-the-watch

"At the heart of this Hamilton watch is the popular Swiss made ETA 2824-2 movement. For those that don’t know, the ETA 2824-2 is considered a “workhorse” movement. It’s used by a variety of watch manufacturers for quality automatic watches." - https://www.thewatchblog.co.uk/hamilton-khaki-field-h70455533-review-swiss-made-automatic-watch/

and like @Idesofmarch17 pointed out even if i have to come out of a pocket for warranty service it would be $190 for complete service according to their site: https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/service-prices.html. Still less than I will be saving by going with Jomashop... and Hamiltons seem to be pretty reliable according to user experiences. Perhaps that ETA movement being around for so long.

Coupons!
Jomashop offers several discount codes, you may only use one coupon per order.
Coupon code: FASTSHIP - receive Free Shipping on any Domestic order
Coupon code: BOLDFS5 - receive $5 OFF any order.
Coupon code: BOLDFS10 - receive $10 OFF a purchase $180.00 or higher.
Coupon code: BOLDFS20 - receive $20 OFF a purchase $450.00 or higher.
Coupon code: BOLDFS50 - receive $50 OFF a purchase $1000.00 or higher.
If the order is paid via wire transfer, an additional 3% will be deducted.

p.s. order was placed... thank you for your feedback!

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the movement is Hamilton’s modification of a standard ETA so getting it serviced would be fairly easy if needed.

Easy, but not cheap. I took my Hamilton to several Northern VA watch shops and each one suggested I just buy a new watch rather than service my old one. I was being quoted over $200 just for a routine service.

Regardless, in this case Jomashop is the right call. The AD warranty isn't worth $200+ for a watch that should be reliable.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know! Yeah sounds like nothing too fancy. Plus looks like they offer their own 2 year warranty for Hamilton watch: https://help.jomashop.com/articles/4683-do-you-give-a-warranty-with-the-watch

"At the heart of this Hamilton watch is the popular Swiss made ETA 2824-2 movement. For those that don’t know, the ETA 2824-2 is considered a “workhorse” movement. It’s used by a variety of watch manufacturers for quality automatic watches." - https://www.thewatchblog.co.uk/hamilton-khaki-field-h70455533-review-swiss-made-automatic-watch/

and like @Idesofmarch17 pointed out even if i have to come out of a pocket for warranty service it would be $190 for complete service according to their site: https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/service-prices.html. Still less than I will be saving by going with Jomashop... and Hamiltons seem to be pretty reliable according to user experiences. Perhaps that ETA movement being around for so long.

Coupons!
Jomashop offers several discount codes, you may only use one coupon per order.
Coupon code: FASTSHIP - receive Free Shipping on any Domestic order
Coupon code: BOLDFS5 - receive $5 OFF any order.
Coupon code: BOLDFS10 - receive $10 OFF a purchase $180.00 or higher.
Coupon code: BOLDFS20 - receive $20 OFF a purchase $450.00 or higher.
Coupon code: BOLDFS50 - receive $50 OFF a purchase $1000.00 or higher.
If the order is paid via wire transfer, an additional 3% will be deducted.

p.s. order was placed... thank you for your feedback!

For higher end watches you can negotiate with authorized dealers. Most can give you 10-20% off depending on demand for a specific brand or model. Only Rolex and Patek strictly enforce pricing controls. As of about 15 years ago, most Rolex dealers would discount 5% except for the Daytona in steel and a little more for gold. Patek also was limited to a 5% discount. But, other brands, even carried by the same dealers would discount about 20%. I got my IWC Ingenieur for 30% from an authorized dealer 20 years ago.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Easy, but not cheap. I took my Hamilton to several Northern VA watch shops and each one suggested I just buy a new watch rather than service my old one. I was being quoted over $200 just for a routine service.

Regardless, in this case Jomashop is the right call. The AD warranty isn't worth $200+ for a watch that should be reliable.

what's going on with your watch?

dc_slicker

Reaction score
For higher end watches you can negotiate with authorized dealers. Most can give you 10-20% off depending on demand for a specific brand or model. Only Rolex and Patek strictly enforce pricing controls. As of about 15 years ago, most Rolex dealers would discount 5% except for the Daytona in steel and a little more for gold. Patek also was limited to a 5% discount. But, other brands, even carried by the same dealers would discount about 20%. I got my IWC Ingenieur for 30% from an authorized dealer 20 years ago.

seems like it is no longer the case... or maybe i can't negotiate.
In a process of buying Omega Seamaster at the moment (I was suppose to stop by AD in Tysons before all this pandemic took place) Best they could offer me was free stuff like crappy pen and a hat. Not even NATO strap.

that's the place: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/store/storedetails/7270

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics