• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone on my team shows their faces when we do a team meeting via GTM even though I tell them webcam is not necessary and I don't want to see their faces.

@Kangnamstyles
May I suggest "18" instead of "she-bar?"

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:( Cocktails to go totally misses the point of social drinking. I go to bars first for the interaction and the drinks second.

Exactly - it's the ambiance that I crave, not the alcohol. I don't drink alone and I rarely drink at home. I am a social drinker, a heavy social drinker at that. I broke quarantine last weekend and passed by my boy's place. We polished off a fresh bottle of Zacapa 23 and then seriously damaged a bottle of El Dorado 15 before throwing in the towel. Since then? Nothing

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love drinking too (and not opposed to going to a bar solo) but also don't see the point to having cocktails delivered especially since my glassware (and ice) don't warrant the $12+ pricetag. I'd rather work on upping my 'mixology' game at home. I'd be happy to buy dinner to go though.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend owns two restaurants on 14th. He advocated to get the city to allow takeout alcohol sales, which the city did not allow initially. His businesses can’t survive without selling booze. His business model, like that of many other restaurants, is based on alcohol sales. They don’t make money selling takeout food.

I totally get that ordering drinks for takeout seems overpriced and defeats the purpose of social drinking. However, the restaurants we like to drink at will struggle to survive without people buying alcohol with their takeout orders. So if you have a favorite place to drink and want to ensure they still exist in several months, the best way to support them and ensure their livelihood is to buy their overpriced to-go booze.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend owns two restaurants on 14th. He advocated to get the city to allow takeout alcohol sales, which the city did not allow initially. His businesses can’t survive without selling booze. His business model, like many other restaurants, is based on alcohol sales. They don’t make money selling takeout food.

I totally get that ordering drinks for takeout seems overpriced and defeats the purpose of social drinking. However, the restaurants we like to drink at will struggle to survive without people buying alcohol with their takeout orders. So if you have a favorite place to drink and want to ensure they still exist in several months, the best way to support them and ensure their livelihood is to buy their overpriced to-go booze.
Agreed!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the restaurants that are still open that are really suffering are the nice sit-down places that didn't have a robust takeout scene before COVID-19 (e.g., La Diplomate). Mintwood Place, one of the nicest restaurants in the city, closed up shop a few weeks after the shutdown started despite offering booze to go. I went there a few times and saw few takeout bags waiting for pickup during my visits. On the other hand, Federalist Pig does not offer any alcohol other than beer, but had an online ordering system in place beforehand and is doing as well as any restaurant could have hoped.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend owns two restaurants on 14th. He advocated to get the city to allow takeout alcohol sales, which the city did not allow initially. His businesses can’t survive without selling booze. His business model, like that of many other restaurants, is based on alcohol sales. They don’t make money selling takeout food.

^^ Yes, this

Several local places to me (MD) are offering many cocktail specials, one has four pre mixed drinks in 12 Oz bottles (approx four servings) for $20 (Each) Not a bad deal, helps them out and I don’t feel bad if my glassware and ice aren’t up to complimenting a $12 drink.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I was as confident as all of you that there's no danger in getting take-out. I just don't see it being worth it at this point.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I was as confident as all of you that there's no danger in getting take-out. I just don't see it being worth it at this point.

No harm in looking after yourself the best way you see fit, friend. If anyone gives you **** for making the best decision for YOUR personal situation, invite them to shove a boat anchor up their ass.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see getting takeout as any more dangerous than going to the grocery store if the restaurant takes appropriate precautions. Of course, going to the grocery store is mandatory while getting takeout is not. I weigh the dangers of takeout against my desire to keep restaurants I like in business, and come down on the side of getting takeout 2-3 times/week.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see getting takeout as any more dangerous than going to the grocery store if the restaurant takes appropriate precautions. Of course, going to the grocery store is mandatory while getting takeout is not. I weigh the dangers of takeout against my desire to keep restaurants I like in business, and come down on the side of getting takeout 2-3 times/week.

Big difference in my opinion. I've been getting grocery store delivery/curbside pickup since this started, so I'm not going into the store. Secondly, I'm not buying anything fresh except for meat that's being cooked, so there's no chance of anyone except for me touching the actual food I'm eating (quite different than the possibility of someone sneezing in the kitchen of a restaurant near my take out order). And when I get home, every package of food gets wiped down with clorox wipes. Probably all overkill, but I don't see that as being equally risky as getting takeout. I don't even consider my own employer a company worth keeping in business at the cost of potentially getting sick.

I am also someone who loves eating out, so this has been the hardest part of the quarantine for me. I'd stab someone for chipotle right now even if I knew it was safe.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the restaurants that are still open that are really suffering are the nice sit-down places that didn't have a robust takeout scene before COVID-19 (e.g., La Diplomate). Mintwood Place, one of the nicest restaurants in the city, closed up shop a few weeks after the shutdown started despite offering booze to go. I went there a few times and saw few takeout bags waiting for pickup during my visits. On the other hand, Federalist Pig does not offer any alcohol other than beer, but had an online ordering system in place beforehand and is doing as well as any restaurant could have hoped.
I tried mint wood. Totally overrated. If they closed I’m not surprise.

Restaurants with a loyal following will have enough people to help them out. I ordered take out from all my Normal spots and left them all a 20 dollar tip each time. Just to help out.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried mint wood. Totally overrated. If they closed I’m not surprise.

Restaurants with a loyal following will have enough people to help them out. I ordered take out from all my Normal spots and left them all a 20 dollar tip each time. Just to help out.

Yep we've definitely been tipping better than we usually do, and having been in the service industry, i always tip well unless the service is seriously bad.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably spent way too much on those bottles I got from Jack Rose, but this is exactly why I didn't give half a **** about it at all. If ever there was a reason to support a local spot....I can't think of any better. If you're a whisk(e)y fan, or have a friend who is, go grab a bottle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads