• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
went to this in Georgetown this Tuesday:
Profs and Pints

ended up walking from the Foggy Bottom Metro station to and fro. I'm from way out in the suburbs. Anyway walking in Cole Haan Oxfords or whatever extremely uncomfortable. had some skin tears on my feet. I'm assuming I should have worn boots? I'm basically a style novice if you couldn't tell.

The Professor from Profs and Pints emailed me. He only gave me 1 book. Said the most important book he mentioned was: Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst https://www.amazon.com/dp/1594205078/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_M66iEbN8HSCPN.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Rake in Progress (DC resident!) posted his review of Anglo-Italian MTM suit. Not sure I like the way the lapel hooks over the button but that's just me.

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree it is a bit weird over the button, but altogether a great looking suit. I think having to do all five buttons on the pants would drive me nuts, though (no pun intended).

I'm curious why he didn't try Paul Stuart MTM. About the same price as the Anglo-Italian, maybe a bit more, and kind of an anglo-Italian look.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's burning up over on the MC General Chat thread.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's burning up over on the MC General Chat thread.

I don’t like how the jacket transitions at the buttoning point to a shawl enclosure.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like how the jacket transitions at the buttoning point to a shawl enclosure.
@gdl203 said the same thing in the MC General Chat thread. I put it over there as well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's one way to "brand" a tailoring style? I don't really get it and I think it's distracting and will get old fast but what do I know? We struggle to sell tailoring and they seem to thrive so they must get something right

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's one way to "brand" a tailoring style? I don't really get it and I think it's distracting and will get old fast but what do I know? We struggle to sell tailoring and they seem to thrive so they must get something right

You guys had no problems selling the tailored items the first few years NMWA was in business. Maybe the posters have enough quality items in their closet so they'd rather focus on something else? I think I've finally hit that point.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys had no problems selling the tailored items the first few years NMWA was in business.
That's because there was still a market for tailoring for everyday guys. Now that dress codes have shifted to biz cas throughout all industries and functions, tailoring has become a fashion statement - something for enthusiasts mostly. And a shrinking market.

So maybe it does make sense when tailoring becomes something for enthusiasts rather than business dress code, to see things like a hybrid shawl/peak lapel like that?

arakeinprogress

Reaction score
I haven't ever really looked at Paul Stuart until I quickly browsed their website just now to be honest. I know several of you are fans, but it's not quite my style. Close, but just a little off what I like.

In the MC General Chat thread, @mossrockss suggested something is wrong with the buttoning point of the suit that's causing the turn to not lay flat. Not sure what that would be, but if you all have suggestions I'm all ears.

Agree it is a bit weird over the button, but altogether a great looking suit. I think having to do all five buttons on the pants would drive me nuts, though (no pun intended).

I'm curious why he didn't try Paul Stuart MTM. About the same price as the Anglo-Italian, maybe a bit more, and kind of an anglo-Italian look.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever really looked at Paul Stuart until I quickly browsed their website just now to be honest. I know several of you are fans, but it's not quite my style. Close, but just a little off what I like.

In the MC General Chat thread, @mossrockss suggested something is wrong with the buttoning point of the suit that's causing the turn to not lay flat. Not sure what that would be, but if you all have suggestions I'm all ears.
Paul Stuart has great wares but maybe a touch colorful compared to what you seem to like. On the other issue I think your suit is just made to have the little hook over the button. Just the Anglo-Italian cut I guess.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For what it’s worth, I think that the suits fits quite well. Were there any intermediate fittings or was it delivered finished after the initial measurement meeting? (edit: I actually read the post now so I know the answer...)

about the lapel shape, I’m curious: was that hybrid shawl/peak concept something that was part of your decision to use Jake & Alex (that you were seeking) or is that something that you discovered in the process of ordering the suit and deciding options/detail?

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Rake in Progress (DC resident!) posted his review of Anglo-American MTM suit. Not sure I like the way the lapel hooks over the button but that's just me.

By the way, his suit is from Anglo-Italian. Wasn't Anglo-American a decent suit maker out of Westminster Maryland? I seem to remember talk about them years back

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, his suit is from Anglo-Italian. Wasn't Anglo-American a decent suit maker out of Westminster Maryland? I seem to remember talk about them years back
Oops. My bad.:cry: Free association and auto-fill confound me daily... OP edited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads