• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Reaction score
A Rake in Progress (DC resident!) posted his review of Anglo-Italian MTM suit. Not sure I like the way the lapel hooks over the button but that's just me.

6 months (!) Seems like an extremely long turnaround time for MTM, even with a second fitting, alterations, and shipping from Italy. On the shawl/peak lapel blend, give it a year and everyone will be like "straight cut peak lapels are old fashioned, opt for a peak/shawl mix to keep it current" or something like that.

Reaction score
I think the process needs a third fitting to really nail the details, but having to travel to NYC and him having to travel from London makes that difficult. I got the feeling he wouldn't have wanted to do a third fitting. Not sure if he'd feel differently if I could just swing by the shop.

Going into the fitting I wasn't familiar with that particular feature, but he mentioned it during the trunk show and I think I mainly appreciated its novelty, not sure it factored into the decision much either way. Mainly I was impressed with the lightness of the suit and the overall brand aesthetic.

For what it’s worth, I think that the suits fits quite well. Were there any intermediate fittings or was it delivered finished after the initial measurement meeting? (edit: I actually read the post now so I know the answer...)

about the lapel shape, I’m curious: was that hybrid shawl/peak concept something that was part of your decision to use Jake & Alex (that you were seeking) or is that something that you discovered in the process of ordering the suit and deciding options/detail?

Reaction score
And yes, I think six months is too long. I felt like I conveyed that in the review, but I didn't want to be too direct. Mostly the problem was the lack of communication. Telling me about the second trunk show mere days in advance when I have to drive to NYC is not an example of good communication for a traveling brand.

One of these days I'll learn to catch up on the whole thread so I can use multi-quote.

6 months (!) Seems like an extremely long turnaround time for MTM, even with a second fitting, alterations, and shipping from Italy. On the shawl/peak lapel blend, give it a year and everyone will be like "straight cut peak lapels are old fashioned, opt for a peak/shawl mix to keep it current" or something like that.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Reaction score
And yes, I think six months is too long. I felt like I conveyed that in the review, but I didn't want to be too direct. Mostly the problem was the lack of communication. Telling me about the second trunk show mere days in advance when I have to drive to NYC is not an example of good communication for a traveling brand.

One of these days I'll learn to catch up on the whole thread so I can use multi-quote.
Despite the long turnaround time (or maybe because of it?) it's a really nice fit! As you wrote, opening up the hem a touch will do wonders for the drape of the trouser.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I look, the more I think it is a great looking suit. You seem to have a good physique for a double-breasted suit. They tend to work best on slimmer guys (not on me, in other words). You rarely see them in DC, I can't even remember the last time I saw one. With the double-breasted and the trim mustache, you have a very 1930s B&W film look, which is a good look, IMO. I like your site, by the way.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Rake in Progress (DC resident!) posted his review of Anglo-Italian MTM suit. Not sure I like the way the lapel hooks over the button but that's just me.

That was a good review. I have a hard time discerning the difference between MTM and simply buying something off the rack and having it altered .... I haven’t found the end result justifies the increased price of MTM personally

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's one way to "brand" a tailoring style? I don't really get it and I think it's distracting and will get old fast but what do I know? We struggle to sell tailoring and they seem to thrive so they must get something right
I can’t imagine they are doing much overall volume in tailored clothing. I think Anglo-Italian is one of the smaller niche shops (maybe smaller than Bryceland’s)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can’t imagine they are doing much overall volume in tailored clothing. I think Anglo-Italian is one of the smaller niche shops (maybe smaller than Bryceland’s)
You’d be surprised. Look at the experience of a DC resident traveling to NYC twice to meet them as they travel in from London. That alone tells you they’re doing something right (the offering is attractive enough to customers to put in the money, time and legwork) and there’s no way they’d spend that much money coming to NY often if the volume wasn’t there. Gotta give credit where it’s due. They have developed a thriving tailoring business in a moribond tailored clothing landscape.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
I just found this thread. Work in DC and live in VA. Just my two cents for anyone looking to buy menswear:
Dress Shoes: Sky Valet at 10th&H St. Gotten all my C&J from there. They have C&J, Carmina, and Aldens to name a few.
Suits/Sportcoats/Shirts: NMWA. Got all my suits from here. They carry G.Inglese shirts. Superfast delivery for DC folks.
Shirts: WM Fox sells Drake's shirts. But I'm currently trying out T&A shirts.
Sportcoats: Spier & MacKay is nice.
Ties: Vanda and Sam Hober are excellent.
Tailor: Field Tailoring

Last edited:
Reaction score
@gdl203 I know they get their show and hotel rooms for free at The Nomad through their friend who is the owner or manager, which helps but yes, they're still spending money to travel. I thought it was odd, but he said they have a bigger customer base in LA than in NYC.

Alex shared a good bit about the business side of things. They have deals with a variety of tv and film production studios and are going to start manufacturing suits for some of the department stores (not in their cut). They also bought their own factory and don't use it all, so they rent out the remaining floor space. So the customer facing side of the business is just one part of what they're doing now.

You’d be surprised. Look at the experience of a DC resident traveling to NYC twice to meet them as they travel in from London. That alone tells you they’re doing something right (the offering is attractive enough to customers to put in the money, time and legwork) and there’s no way they’d spend that much money coming to NY often if the volume wasn’t there. Gotta give credit where it’s due. They have developed a thriving tailoring business in a moribond tailored clothing landscape.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread. Work in DC and live in VA. Just my two cents for anyone looking to buy menswear:
Dress Shoes: Sky Valet at 10th&H St. Gotten all my C&J from there. They have C&J, Carmina, and Aldens to name a few.
Suits/Sportcoats/Shirts: NMWA. Got all my suits from here. They carry G.Inglese shirts. Superfast delivery for DC folks.
Shirts: WM Fox sells Drake's shirts. But I'm currently trying out T&A shirts.
Sportcoats: Spier & MacKay is nice.
Ties: Vanda and Sam Hober are excellent.
All good recommendations. Ever been to Sid Mashburn in Georgetown?

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
One more thing to add: Field Tailoring in Georgetown was the best. I haven't been to him in recent years so I don't know much.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not yet. I believe it's tucked away and I've missed it thus far.
It's right next to Martin's Tavern at Wisconsin & N. Annoyingly not open on Sundays. they also carry Drake's ties. I haven't been to WM Fox in a while and need to revisit.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
It's right next to Martin's Tavern at Wisconsin & N. Annoyingly not open on Sundays. they also carry Drake's ties. I haven't been to WM Fox in a while and need to revisit.

I think they do MTM for Canali. They carry Drake's shirts and ties but seem really low on inventory. They also have ETON but only the casual ones and no formal dress shirts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 151 32.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 136 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 53 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 1.9%