• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The aforementioned high twist suit from EP.
I really like the variation in this fabric. Lighter grays run a high risk of looking cheap and flat but I think this one doesn't run into that problem.
PXL_20230310_134806506~2.jpg
Two problems that came up here (both factory errors): lapels are about 1cm too narrow and gorge is about 2cm too high (second issue is accentuated by the low camera angle though). Wasn't serious enough to request a remake, as basically no one but me would notice, but all in all I love this suit.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the variation in this fabric. Lighter grays run a high risk of looking cheap and flat but I think this one doesn't run into that problem.
View attachment 1915059
Two problems that came up here (both factory errors): lapels are about 1cm too narrow and gorge is about 2cm too high (second issue is accentuated by the low camera angle though). Wasn't serious enough to request a remake, as basically no one but me would notice, but all in all I love this suit.
I really like mid-to-light gray. Pairs well with light blue shirts and ties can either be sober or bright. Nice contrast to the office full of folks in charcoal five days a week.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like mid-to-light gray. Pairs well with light blue shirts and ties can either be sober or bright. Nice contrast to the office full of folks in charcoal five days a week.
My light gray and light brown/tan are relegated mostly to summer/nice bright days.
5562355C-2E7B-4F1E-94A8-0A356D333299.jpeg

Is there specific terminology other than high twist that generally describes these more breathable summer worthy shirts? I want to make sure im looking at the right stuff

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My light gray and light brown/tan are relegated mostly to summer/nice bright days. View attachment 1915083

Is there specific terminology other than high twist that generally describes these more breathable summer worthy shirts? I want to make sure im looking at the right stuff
I think "high twist" mainly refers to suiting. For shirts avoid the thick broadcloth and definitely avoid the non-iron stuff. It's chemically treated and doesn't seem to breath very well. You can get shirts with obvious looser weave as well.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My light gray and light brown/tan are relegated mostly to summer/nice bright days. View attachment 1915083

Shirts wouldn't typically be made from high-twist fabrics. High-twist is a method of weaving wool where the yarns are twisted tightly so that they don't absorb moisture and can be woven more openly. Makes them perfect for hot, humid climates like Southeast Asia and DC summers.

An open weave shirt fabric I like is Leno. Kamakura has them, but be wary of the white fabrics as they're very sheer (not ideal if you have, um, prominent nipples).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wifey and I are both Northerners and love rocky coasts, easy access to big cities, etc. Winters can be a bummer of course but those are getting seriously milder. No real snow in NYC or even Boston this year.
Thanks to global warming!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's very versatile and doesn't read as a "summer" color necessarily. It's different enough from the charcoals and navys without standing out too much. You could wear it in an office several times a week and no one would think anything of it, unlike that guy who always wears seersucker and bucks. You know the one.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday on a cold rainy day. RLPL sport coat, Zegna tie, Sartorio dress shirt, Barneys NY flannel pants and C&J loafers.

AA5A4A03-E9D1-437A-92C4-FBA4D75B060C.jpeg

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1915059

Suit looks great, I find this shade of mid to light grey very versatile, especially, as you stated, with the variations in the fabric.

Yes!

Yeah it's very versatile and doesn't read as a "summer" color necessarily. It's different enough from the charcoals and navys without standing out too much. You could wear it in an office several times a week and no one would think anything of it, unlike that guy who always wears seersucker and bucks. You know the one.

What TSBB said, this shade of fresco (or similar hi twist fabric) works year around.

Casual Friday on a cold rainy day. RLPL sport coat, Zegna tie, Sartorio dress shirt, Barneys NY flannel and C&J loafers.

View attachment 1915153

Looking good.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think "high twist" mainly refers to suiting. For shirts avoid the thick broadcloth and definitely avoid the non-iron stuff. It's chemically treated and doesn't seem to breath very well. You can get shirts with obvious looser weave as well.

I like royal oxford cloth year round. It's not as tight as heavy oxford cloth, therefore more breathable, but still has some texture and body.

And, with regard to those no-wrinkle/no-iron shirts, I understand that the chemicals include formaldehyde. Can't say that is going to kill you, because everyone must die, but it could speed up the process. It also could keep you preserved once dead.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shirts wouldn't typically be made from high-twist fabrics. High-twist is a method of weaving wool where the yarns are twisted tightly so that they don't absorb moisture and can be woven more openly. Makes them perfect for hot, humid climates like Southeast Asia and DC summers.

An open weave shirt fabric I like is Leno. Kamakura has them, but be wary of the white fabrics as they're very sheer (not ideal if you have, um, prominent nipples).
Kamakura's Leno is a giro inglese weave and is definitely a good option for summer. Zephyr is another weave that's good for summer and is the shirting equivalent of a high twist.
Big fan of broadcloth/poplin in 170/2 as a good year rounder but some may find them to be a bit on the precious side for beater shirts. They feel great on skin but are pretty thin suffering from similar translucence issues as giro inglese or zephyr, can be prone to wrinkling and take a little getting used to on an ironing board but as far as feel goes they're where it's at. If someone didn't want to buy winter shirts and summer shirts though I find they're more versatile than the dedicated summer choices.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david.m.morris@talkta