• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all have to wear CM at work but I'm known as the office dandy because I don't wear Jos A. Bank and actually put some thought into dressing. :oops:
Hmmm people can tell the difference in quality clothing. I get jealous looks at times when I'm in some office environments. Also get looks of inadequacy or intimidation which was never my intent. I've learned the best policy is to never out dress my customer even if a suit is required.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm people can tell the difference in quality clothing. I get jealous looks at times when I'm in some office environments. Also get looks of inadequacy or intimidation which was never my intent. I've learned the best policy is to never out dress my customer even if a suit is required.
As a govt schlep it's okay to out-dress everyone. I love sitting next to schlubby Execs when dressed in a sharp suit and tie. :bigstar:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, how many times is he going to give a handy to the Instagram guy out of SFO, who is both an electrician and dresses up? I mean, sure he dresses well, but some of his stuff is just weird. No need to praise every outfit he wears all the time.
He and Peter are apparently friends and hang out a lot. I like a lot of what Peter wears but not all of it. Neat to see him featured by Canali now!
Yes, I think Derek and Peter are pretty good friends IRL.

Agreed, I don't love everything Peter wears, but he must be doing something right. He went from a guy who works construction during the week, suits on the weekend and posts on SF and IG, to US Director for Plaza Uomo and now marketing for Canali and Brooks Brothers (and others?)

Probably a good policy.

Don't have to worry about that, being in the public sector.

As a govt schlep it's okay to out-dress everyone. I love sitting next to schlubby Execs when dressed in a sharp suit and tie. :bigstar:
Same same

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think Derek and Peter are pretty good friends IRL.

Agreed, I don't love everything Peter wears, but he must be doing something right. He went from a guy who works construction during the week, suits on the weekend and posts on SF and IG, to US Director for Plaza Uomo and now marketing for Canali and Brooks Brothers (and others?)
I definitely wasn't take a shot at Peter. I was taking a shot at DWW constant fawning over what Peter is wearing and holding every outfit up as perfect. It wears me out. There are some misses. He's also not the only example of a person well dressed in one style or another.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely wasn't take a shot at Peter. I was taking a shot at DWW constant fawning over what Peter is wearing and holding every outfit up as perfect. It wears me out. There are some misses. He's also not the only example of a person well dressed in one style or another.
I wasn't trying to argue with you, only give some justification as to why Derek seems to fawn over him. They're friends and Peter has made a name for himself.

The rest was me agreeing with you.

as Smitty would say, harumph

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How‘s the new year going for everyone so far? would be great to get everyone together once this omicron surge is over. Do we have any plans?
I'm thinking we want to wait until February at least to see how Omicron is trending.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put in an order to ship a pair of Alden corodovan tassels to Aram the Cobbler (whose store I guess doesn't go by AH One anymore)? I bought them used just before the pandemic started and wore them pretty heavily these last two years. The vibram topy they came with and the top lift are entirely worn down. I typically get flush metal toe taps when I get dress shoes resoled but decided to forgo for a more casual shoe. Will report back on results!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two hour delay walking ironically through the light rain with trench coat and umbrella like it's April. I can't believe NoVA schools closed so fast yesterday.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put in an order to ship a pair of Alden corodovan tassels to Aram the Cobbler (whose store I guess doesn't go by AH One anymore)? I bought them used just before the pandemic started and wore them pretty heavily these last two years. The vibram topy they came with and the top lift are entirely worn down. I typically get flush metal toe taps when I get dress shoes resoled but decided to forgo for a more casual shoe. Will report back on results!
I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn dress shoes since the start of the pandemic.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn dress shoes since the start of the pandemic.
I cycled a bunch of mine through my local cobbler for new heels and/or soles. Added two pair of loafers and am back in business!

Took me forever to find loafers that fit. I have narrow ankles apparently. Crockett & Jones' Last 376 was originally made for Japanese customers. C&J used that last for the Grantham 2 and Harvard 2 loafers and they work very well.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two hour delay walking ironically through the light rain with trench coat and umbrella like it's April. I can't believe NoVA schools closed so fast yesterday.
Montgomery County started with a 2-hour delay and converted to cancelation. It's raining. Raining. NWS calls for 1" of snow mostly on grassy surfaces.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The food at Kramers is much better than you would expect it to be. It's become a go-to place to grab a bite to eat for me and my friend after we visit the Phillips Collection.
I don't think I have ever eaten at Kramers while sober.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cycled a bunch of mine through my local cobbler for new heels and/or soles. Added two pair of loafers and am back in business!

Took me forever to find loafers that fit. I have narrow ankles apparently. Crockett & Jones' Last 376 was originally made for Japanese customers. C&J used that last for the Grantham 2 and Harvard 2 loafers and they work very well.
I've given up on shoes they hurt my feet :(.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members