• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EJ is super old school. Think O'Connell's or J Press (without the trim fit Shaggy Dog sweaters and co-branded items...)

It is a nice shop, small ish. Old school selection, full cut trousers and tailoring (MIUS, I think) Barbours, some knitwear from Scotland/Ireland.

I believe they do a MTM program for tailoring in addition to OTR.

If anyone makes the trip, stop into wither Johnny's (seafood) or Petit Louis (French) for lunch, both are highly recommended.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EJ is super old school. Think O'Connell's or J Press (without the trim fit Shaggy Dog sweaters and co-branded items...)

It is a nice shop, small ish. Old school selection, full cut trousers and tailoring (MIUS, I think) Barbours, some knitwear from Scotland/Ireland.

I believe they do a MTM program for tailoring in addition to OTR.

If anyone makes the trip, stop into wither Johnny's (seafood) or Petit Louis (French) for lunch, both are highly recommended.
Okay, so being Fox Ambassadors gives us access to the shirts, ties, and pocket squares they never really seem to sell out each season. Discount does not apply to clothing, blankets, suiting/jacketing, etc.

Sigh. Time to resign my Ambassadorship and retire with exotic mistress to island retreat. "Standish! Another G&T my good man! Huzzah!"

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Heard about this place on MC General Chat thread regarding Chrysalis coats. Has this ever been mentioned here? I've never been there.

I've been there several times before. It's mixed. Sometimes they have really good stuff and sometimes they don't. The guys there are always friendly, though. Often they have good outerwear and knitwear. Also a nice selection of tweeds if you are into the sack cut. Haven't been there in some time, though, so things might be different.

Chrysalis is cool. They make a lot of stuff for Ben Silver, O'Connell's, Paul Stuart and a bunch of traditional retailers in the US, UK, and Japan.
1636526435688.png

1636526567756.png

1636526957626.png

1636526791941.png

1636526397749.png

1636527093764.png

1636527172518.png

1636526483068.png

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably been covered to death. But, best 5 pocket corduroy pants? Looking for a choc brown to replace an old j crew pair. Todd Snyder?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably been covered to death. But, best 5 pocket corduroy pants? Looking for a choc brown to replace an old j crew pair. Todd Snyder?

Sid Mashburn are excellent if you're OK with slim/straight (they're not super slim, but for me, just right). Todd Snyder trousers of all stripes are just too low rise for me.

db123456

Reaction score

I was going to suggest Sid Mashburn -- I have a couple of pairs from there that I like -- but it doesn't look like they have a dark brown shade at the moment. Sid Mashburn would be 100% cotton, rather than the stretch cotton at Todd Snyder. I don't have any from Todd Snyder, but based on the description it seems like their slim fit would be a bit more tapered than Sid Mashburn's.

Spier & Mackay would be another option to consider for 100% cotton. They carry a dark brown, but only in scattered sizes.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Veterans’s Day ride through Rock Creek Park today. DC is great in the Fall. Took a different route due to trail work and came out by the National Cathedral.

13835E7B-CA9C-4082-B734-BA917ADD7E18.jpeg
5AF59510-102A-4B6B-B4D4-6D7ED2A8E933.jpeg
2E1D2A12-DB32-4B67-9ABA-DB2802DE8D75.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent my day off at the Laurie Anderson exhibition at the Hirshhorn. Well worth seeing if you like performance and video art. I subsequently went to Air and Space next door, but lost patience early. I've realized that non-art museums tire me out quickly.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent my day off at the Laurie Anderson exhibition at the Hirshhorn. Well worth seeing if you like performance and video art. I subsequently went to Air and Space next door, but lost patience early. I've realized that non-art museums tire me out quickly.
The Laurie Anderson exhibit was really cool. I love the Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum. Never get bored there.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_8647.jpg
IMG_8638.jpg

I had the day off yesterday so I went on a 45 miler with an old friend. In the process, I had the chance to experience some new bike infrastructure. Above is 15th St! Having commuted through there for many years, it is nice to see it becoming friendlier to cyclists.

IMG_8660.jpg

The Douglass Bridge is pretty cool as well.

IMG_8688.jpg

In Wheaton, the lane on University Blvd is pretty nice, albeit not long enough however I hope MD SHA doesn't remove it.

It was a lovely day to be outside.

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 3

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1702430 View attachment 1702431

I had the day off yesterday so I went on a 45 miler with an old friend. In the process, I had the chance to experience some new bike infrastructure. Above is 15th St! Having commuted through there for many years, it is nice to see it becoming friendlier to cyclists.

View attachment 1702432

The Douglass Bridge is pretty cool as well.

View attachment 1702433

In Wheaton, the lane on University Blvd is pretty nice, albeit not long enough however I hope MD SHA doesn't remove it.

It was a lovely day to be outside.
Wow, you covered a lot of ground. I like the new bridge as well but haven't cycled over it yet. It's right next to Audi Field.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads