• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About time!

What about Arlington?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Arlington?

Arlington may be able choose to implement the same depending on the terms of their existing contract with the vendors. Arlington, Alexandria, DC, etc all have their own agreements governing the scooters so it is up to the individual municipality. When the scooter program was launched in Alexandria, some regulations on where the scooters were to be left and such were delineated in the agreements with the vendors however I do not recall that specific regulation being proposed.

There were all kinds of rules as to the usage of these scooters however I suspect most people don't know what they are and I suspect enforcement of infractions is spotty.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
In the process of building out a business wardrobe. What do people recommend for business casual wear in the DC summer, when its over 85? I always wear a SC with a business casual outfit, but in heat in excess of 85 that’s just not doable. What do you guys recommend in terms of trouser and shirt fabrics?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the process of building out a business wardrobe. What do people recommend for business casual wear in the DC summer, when its over 85? I always wear a SC with a business casual outfit, but in heat in excess of 85 that’s just not doable. What do you guys recommend in terms of trouser and shirt fabrics?

For trousers, tropical weight wool, wool fresco, linen, or light cotton are nice for really hot weather. Shirts can be linen or cotton. Perhaps someone else can add some input with respect to shirt fabrics for the summer.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Linen for me but “dressier” stuff for work. Zegna, Canali, and RLPL usually have excellent CM shirts of Italian linen, not the heavier, shinier Irish stuff. Rota has some great summer fabric options for their pants and have MTO as well.

I still wear a sport coat but have shifted to half-lined or unlined jackets in fabrics that @bicycleradical just mentioned. High twist wool is the absolute best in the heat.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once it's over 90, I might as well wear tweed as linen. It's all the same (i.e., hot and sweaty). I only wear sportcoats below 85.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have to wear a jacket and tie at work and end up carry my jacket to and from the office. Some of our Execs wear heavier suits as they never leave the a/c.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a fresco SC, linen shirt, and linen trousers yesterday to walk 10 min to work. Morning was fine.

Coming home was a different story as it was warmer and very humid. Was definitely sweaty after getting home even with a nice breeze in the 80s.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to wear my hopsack SC or cotton suit for CM style in the DC summer. The hopsack is pretty nice in the heat.

db123456

Reaction score

As others have mentioned, linen can be a good option for trousers. A cotton-linen blend can also work well. I have some cotton-linen trousers from Spier & Mackay, as well as some garment-dyed cotton-linen chinos by Rota via No Man Walks Alone. My modest preference is for the latter; I think because the cotton-linen fabric is somewhat casual it suits the garment-dyed look.

Cotton-linen can also be a good option for shirts. I've had a few made up by Proper Cloth in their cotton-linen oxfords fabrics, which make a nice summer option. Depending on how casual your office is, a relatively subdued madras shirt might work as well. Again, Proper Cloth has had some nice options over the past couple of years. I find I tend to branch out a bit in terms of shirt patterns over the summer -- since I'm generally not wearing a sweater, my usual light blues and stripes seem to leave the outfit a bit boring.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Navy hop sack SC is also a summer work horse. I have a solid dark brown SC in 100% Mohair that does the trick as well.

I had bad luck with a Brooks Brothers seersucker in khaki cotton. Turn out to be too heavy and not breathable in summer. Ended up thrifting it after one season.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it ever below 85 degrees in the summer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads