• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you all receive compliments on your wardrobe when you're out and about in DC? I don't receive that many compliments, but of the ones I do receive, the vast majority are from African-American men, which I find rather interesting.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find this as well. I also find that, on the Metro at least, African-American men tend to dress better than other men, and are much more likely to be wearing a tie

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here actually. I also get clothes comments from women at work which is encouraging. Although most guys around my office wear Jos. A. Bank so the bar to looking good is fairly low.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you all receive compliments on your wardrobe when you're out and about in DC? I don't receive that many compliments, but of the ones I do receive, the vast majority are from African-American men, which I find rather interesting.
Most of my compliments come from women. But, then again, they’re not totally random. Don’t interact with metro enough to say otherwise.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Reaction score
I sometimes get compliments on my clothes from strangers and it's almost always from black men. Had an older black gentleman compliment a pair of suede paul stuart brogues I was wearing with a suit the other day, saying he rarely sees men wear suede shoes anymore. He had lots of opinions on this. White dudes in DC all wear the same tan cole haan wingtips you get at nordstrom rack.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shit - I never thought about it but yeah black guys, especially middle aged to older black guys are more prone to comment on my wardrobe than others. When I get compliments from women I worry that those compliments could be a ruse in the hopes of getting at my bawwwddddyyyy :rotflmao:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get compliments on my shoes relatively frequently. Most of them are from African American women and men. Alfred Sargent, C&J, and EG for the most part, but I've gotten compliments on my Alden boots too. I've had a few compliments on my suits/ties/squares, but significantly less frequently.

Kangnamstyles

Reaction score
I lean a bit more dandy in terms of wardrobe now that I no longer wear/need suits for the job, so bright/bold colored sport coats/trousers/shoes and hat (panama in hot weather/wool/tweed drivers in cold) usually ends up eliciting comments from various folk at work and on my work commute down Clarendon blvd.

I wore a navy Brisbane moss cord jacket and trousers from Spier last week and got stopped 10+ times at work to ask about the material and feel.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lean a bit more dandy in terms of wardrobe now that I no longer wear/need suits for the job, so bright/bold colored sport coats/trousers/shoes and hat (panama in hot weather/wool/tweed drivers in cold) usually ends up eliciting comments from various folk at work and on my work commute down Clarendon blvd.

I wore a navy Brisbane moss cord jacket and trousers from Spier last week and got stopped 10+ times at work to ask about the material and feel.

I tend to think most people like dressing up but don't have the time and resources to achieve an ideal wardrobe that matches their aesthetic from a fit and style perspective. The suits that offer these options usually have a price point of $2K or more. Most people can find better things to spend their money on.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.