• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many litigators in this thread love having side tabs on suit trousers? Nothing is better than the feeling you get when you go through the court security metal detector and they ask you to take off your belt, but you’re wearing side tab trousers. Besides that convenience, side tab trousers look better and are so much more comfortable than wearing belts.
When go to the jail, I always wear either tassel loafers or chelsea boots. I feel like the COs would laugh at me if I busted out a shoe horn going through security.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won't the buckle with side tabs set off the alarm the same way a belt buckle will or are you referring to Daks top trousers?
Usually not enough metal to make a difference I think.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like higher rises, side adjusters, and pleats on suit trousers, mid-rises, flat fronts, and belt loops on casual trousers.

Not being pedantic, but do you consider all odd trousers to be "casual trousers"? Personally, I still want high rises, pleats and cuffs on all my odd trousers (e.g., anything I may wear with a sport coat), vs. chinos, which I almost never wear with a sport coat.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Not being pedantic, but do you consider all odd trousers to be "casual trousers"? Personally, I still want high rises, pleats and cuffs on all my odd trousers (e.g., anything I may wear with a sport coat), vs. chinos, which I almost never wear with a sport coat.

Agree. Side tabs on suit trousers and odd trousers (i.e. dress trousers/slacks). Belt loops always on casual trousers (chinos, corduroys, etc.).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. Side tabs on suit trousers and odd trousers (i.e. dress trousers/slacks). Belt loops always on casual trousers (chinos, corduroys, etc.).

Well, I mean I prefer my odd trousers w/ belt loops too because I don't always wear them with a sport coat.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably not common around these parts, but I basically never wear sport coats and odd trousers. My work attire is all suits. So my odd trousers tend to be on the casual side and are typically worn sans jacket.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joys of homeownership, Chapter 16: Get a $1200 bill for a new capacitor (flux capacitor?) and new coolant.

My month was going really well...

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contradicting what I posted just minutes ago, here's what I wore for a video hearing today.
20210429_143946.jpg

DC courts have a reputation as being stodgy and conservative but I don't know how true that is anymore. Generally for men dark suits are the norm but I've seen lots of people go a little outside the mold. There's one guy who wears a white linen suit and bucks in the summer. There was even a prosecutor who was known for wearing an ascot from time to time (sadly, he doesn't do that anymore).
But even though I've been doing this work for more than 10 years, I'm still relatively young so I try not to push the envelope too much. Linen trousers, textured jacket, chambray shirt, madras tie, and paisley square would probably qualify as pushing the envelope.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joys of homeownership, Chapter 16: Get a $1200 bill for a new capacitor (flux capacitor?) and new coolant.

Coincidentally, I had the identical repair done today. You must have needed a lot more coolant than me!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably not common around these parts, but I basically never wear sport coats and odd trousers. My work attire is all suits. So my odd trousers tend to be on the casual side and are typically worn sans jacket.
I've been wearing lots of sport coats and trousers but mostly because there are very few folks in the office and almost all meetings are VTCs. May have to be 100% suit once "normal" returns. Sport coats also good for cycling in as I can leave a few in office and just backpack in pants, shirt and such daily.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had to replace 2 HVAC units and a washer dryer for my condos in 3 years. $15k.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve had to replace 2 HVAC units and a washer dryer for my condos in 3 years. $15k.
Coincidentally, I had the identical repair done today. You must have needed a lot more coolant than me!
It was partly my fault. I had a guy that did a coolant refill 3 or 5 years ago. Charged $300ish. His phone rang and rang 2 days ago. Today, it came up as Disconnected. I called a Craigslist guy that would do it for $350. This morning he was wishy washy that he was on another job, etc. My wife is bugging me that it's been 2 days! yada yada.

So I called one of the companies that advertise on the radio and TV and that's what you get. They are professionally dressed and wear masks, foot sox, the whole bit. Lets just say that my old guy may have had a problem even donning a mask. Oh well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads