• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the PWVC topic, does anyone know why there seems to be a $200 (approx.) difference between buying the Donegal top coat from the PS Store vs from PW website? Even after I put in shipping info (which should calculate taking off the VAT and shipping from the UK to US)

After inputting address and calculating shipping, on the PW site it comes to about $1200, from PS Site, it comes to just over $1000. Maybe I have to go all the way past payment on PW site to get the VAT taken off??
I’ve bought three jackets from PWVC and I think think the VAT came out when I entered shipping address? Might be worth emailing them.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
For a solid quality, basic raw denim jean that doesn't shrink or stretch very much and is pretty wearable out of the box, I recommend any of the 3sixteen 100x models. They have several different cuts, including a high rise and moderate taper that a lot of guys seem to like.
First off, thanks for the response. I'll check 3sixteen for sure. When it comes to casual wear, I couldn't care less about how something wears out or whatever. I've been a homer for Diesel denim for some time but have grown to dislike their fit. I think I usually wore Larkee. Anyhow, I then tried UNIQCLLO's selvedge jeans and they fit very nicely. I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets and have noticed that their pockets don't really go deep compared to others. Anyhow, I always end up tearing a straight line on my right knee on all my jeans. That's when I just put them aside. Some like them and some hate them. I just want a comfy fit and will like to have unwanted areas tapered off. I'm not skinny so I'm not into skinny jeans. I'll provide some feedback when I try on some 3sixteen jeans. Thanks

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight, the coldest night during Coronavirus, restaurants in Adams Morgan were still doing brisk (no pun intended) outdoor business. Several diners were wearing coats. I wonder if this will continue when the weather turns even colder.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It definitely takes away my desire to sit outside. I love the brisk weather but enjoying anything other than hot dogs around a fire seems like a stretch.

I guess those outdoor propane heaters could make a slight difference.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of outdoor activities around DC that get better in colder weather. Drinking is not one of them.
We’re planning on supporting our local favorites as best we can over the winter. Hopefully the restaurants can survive. Glad to see the Smithsonian galleries slowly reopening. I keep looking at Covid cases nationwide, though, and can’t help but think ours will go back up as well if we get careless.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here wear APC denim? I'm trying to figure out what size to order but it's confusing as hell and their sizing chart is not really helpful. I guess I'll just order one and try to order the right size based on that.
I did the APC thing years ago and have since tried a handful of other raw denims. I'm going to suggest an alternative. Feel free to skip to the end for the recommendation.

The raw APC denim has a lot of stretch, which I'm guessing you've read. But then they also shrink, which I'm guessing you've also read. It's not unusual to size down three and barely be able to button them and have them stretch to a comfortable point. Others prefer a fuller fit and may only size down one. Two is probably the mode. Of course, this all may also depend on which of the cuts you get. Not to mention people also like to wear their denim slimmer or fuller than others.

To be honest, it's all a bit much, if you're not super into denim. You're trying to figure out about soaking to get them to shrink. Then it takes a lot of wear to break-in. If you only wear jeans on the weekend, it will take a while, and it's not a particularly pleasant process. If you're the kinda guy who obsesses over tiny measurements (hmm ...), then dealing with the stretching and shrinking can be stressful. Nothing worse than spending a year breaking them in, having a perfect fit, washing them, and then realizing that they're now two inches too short. It happens.

There's a ton of excellent raw denim out there at similar prices, probably better quality, and without the hassle of being unsanforized denim that is gonna shrink and stretch as much as APC. Most guys should just just get sanforized denim. No painful and stressful break-in period. No games to play with sizing. Just where them wherever and whenever. They will start molding to you and develop fades pretty much the same as unsanforized. When you want to wash them, just put them in the washing machine and wash them with cold water. It's really not gonna mess with them. Pretty much the only thing you shouldn't do is put them in the dryer.

For a solid quality, basic raw denim jean that doesn't shrink or stretch very much and is pretty wearable out of the box, I recommend any of the 3sixteen 100x models. They have several different cuts, including a high rise and moderate taper that a lot of guys seem to like.
I tried APC years ago and decided to pass on them once I realized that I preferred heavier weight denim. I think i went with PRPS back then. For the money I would go with Pure Blue Japan

If you think it is crazy to pay over $200 for a pair of jeans then go with a basic non stretch Unbranded. $80 will get you a pair of 14.5 oz straight leg (UB301) or tapered fit (UB201) jeans. $120 will get you 21 oz versions. If you want a little spicier, Naked & Famous (same manufacturers as Unbranded) makes some interesting denim styles

My goto jeans right now are a pair of light Jean Shop Jim, a raw PRPS Demon, a grey Nudie and a pair of olive Polo jeans that fit me perfectly. I don't really do black jeans.

Going to eventual get a pair of European only raw Lee 101s, a raw PBR and some 21+ oz denim just because

If I were you I would search on blueowl.us, selfedge.com or tateandyoko.com to compare brands and prices. If you don't care if your denim has spandex then you will have a lot of options

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sitting outside drinking a toast to Connery. Not usually a clear-spirits guy but a Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred, seemed in order. Added the twist to make it mine.

086CD8FE-3602-415C-8A33-E2D2811EAE8F.jpeg

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Sitting outside drinking a toast to Connery. Not usually a clear-spirits guy but a Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred, seemed in order. Added the twist to make it mine.

View attachment 1488056
Big fan of both Sean C. and James Bond series. It feels like all the movie stars that I grew up watching are dying one by one.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1488056
Does Rolex even make a no-date Submariner anymore? Connery's Bond had one in pretty much all of his movies. I think they mostly were on NATO straps with aged markers. I know they weren't as good for pressure, but I really liked the old domed acrylic crystal.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Rolex even make a no-date Submariner anymore? Connery's Bond had one in pretty much all of his movies. I think they mostly were on NATO straps with aged markers. I know they weren't as good for pressure, but I really liked the old domed acrylic crystal.
Yes, the no date model is still around and slightly less expensive than the date model.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are lots of outdoor activities around DC that get better in colder weather. Drinking is not one of them.
What? DC had some great winter nightlife options - unfortunately many are closed. My favorite neighborhood place is putting up some firepits and tenting for their decent patio seating.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's