• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

OldTown

Reaction score
The Metrorail stop is a mile away from the waterfront and is a much longer haul from DC than, say, Clarendon.
There are plenty of arguments about all kinds of locations in DC that are a pain in the ass to get to. Georgetown being one. If anything, being difficult to get to generally has the benefit of keeping the city riff raff out of the area (usually).

I'm sure you heard the old rumor the reason there is no Georgetown metro is to keep the homeless away.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Metrorail stop is a mile away from the waterfront and is a much longer haul from DC than, say, Clarendon.
Back in the days parking was so tight on Friday and Saturday nights on the waterfront that sometimes were forced to park by the metro and walk to the clubs (H20, Zanzibar, etc)

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of arguments about all kinds of locations in DC that are a pain in the ass to get to. Georgetown being one. If anything, being difficult to get to generally has the benefit of keeping the city riff raff out of the area (usually).

I'm sure you heard the old rumor the reason there is no Georgetown metro is to keep the homeless away.
Georgetown used to be full of riff raff. The shortsighted business unfriendly community advisory board restricted new liquor licenses in Georgetown from 1989 until 2016 and that diminished Georgetown's shine and encouraged commercial growth in other parts of the city. There is no "riff raff" in Georgetown today because it's a zombie neighbourhood. It seems even the riff raff has standards lol

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a bit like a Mall turned inside out. Same boring stores. Every time I go there it’s only Mashburn and Billy Reid for shopping, Martin’s or the German cafe for chow.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uhhh , Houston, we have a problem.....

so about a week ago , wife says to me, “you keep getting all these packages full of clothes from No Man Walks Alone and The Armoury, when am I going to get something fancy?“

So I order her the burgundy Scott and Charters donegal chunky cardigan (sorry if anyone wanted the XS....). Well she loves it. Now she thinks every time I get something from NMWA, there should be something for her in the box too!!

OldTown

Reaction score
It is a bit like a Mall turned inside out. Same boring stores. Every time I go there it’s only Mashburn and Billy Reid for shopping, Martin’s or the German cafe for chow.
You don't enjoy the Ralph Lauren store?

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OldTown

Reaction score
I feel ashamed to say I have never been to Tyson's Corner. What am I missing?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Georgetown used to be full of riff raff. The shortsighted business unfriendly community advisory board restricted new liquor licenses in Georgetown from 1989 until 2016 and that diminished Georgetown's shine and encouraged commercial growth in other parts of the city. There is no "riff raff" in Georgetown today because it's a zombie neighbourhood. It seems even the riff raff has standards lol

Bourbon Steak and Eno Wine Bare pretty good for chow, and there's always Blues Alley for live music.

OldTown

Reaction score
Bourbon Steak and Eno Wine Bare pretty good for chow, and there's always Blues Alley for live music.
I went to Brasserie Liberte last December and it was rather good. Not quite Le Diplomate but close enough and not as busy. It's also right next door to Cafe Milano which I still need to try.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.