• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grabbed the olive cardigan at Drake's sale. I sized up from normal 42 to 44 based on the measurements. Hope I got it right. Fits in to my winter Irish Gentleman look.

Logging into my account tripped Google Chrome's "Your Password is compromised" warning. No idea why but now I have a bunch of saved passwords to adjust. Huh.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Knit ties have to be thinner, otherwise the knot would be enormous. Also, as mentioned above, a 9 or 8 cm tie isn't that wide by the knot, but a knit tie is just as wide at the bottom as at the top. I also find that the narrow blade often doesn't sit exactly behind the wider blade and this makes the tie look wider.

I think the whole tie width lapel width thing is overblown. I think it would look weird if a tie were wider than the lapels, but I don't think a tie that is narrower than the lapels necessarily looks bad. I generally like 9 cm ties, but that is more because you can get more expressiveness in the knot and in the tie as a whole with a wider tie.

I generally prefer the German knit ties made by Ascot that you can get a million places (Drake's, any place that sells Drake's, J. Mueser, HN White, Shibumi, etc.). The Italian ones just look flatter and are thus harder to wear.

If you are looking for colors, I strongly recommend mid to dark greens and black (Mashburn has one they call Spruce--that is the sort of color I am thinking of). I think both of these colors show up really well on silk knits, and I think both of these colors are surprisingly versatile.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very excited. My hand knit O'Maille Aran roll neck sweater is almost done. I've got a few Inis Meain sweaters, but decided I wanted a traditional hand knit. The price is really good compared to the luxury prices from Inis Meain. I expect it will be denser, tighter knit, so maybe it will pill a bit less too. But, it will likely be rougher too. More to come.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grabbed the olive cardigan at Drake's sale. I sized up from normal 42 to 44 based on the measurements. Hope I got it right. Fits in to my winter Irish Gentleman look.

Logging into my account tripped Google Chrome's "Your Password is compromised" warning. No idea why but now I have a bunch of saved passwords to adjust. Huh.

I was eyeing that one. Might jump. Also attracted to the navy and grey.

Very excited. My hand knit O'Maille Aran roll neck sweater is almost done. I've got a few Inis Meain sweaters, but decided I wanted a traditional hand knit. The price is really good compared to the luxury prices from Inis Meain. I expect it will be denser, tighter knit, so maybe it will pill a bit less too. But, it will likely be rougher too. More to come.

I might need more info here.

I had a hand knit Aran (bought in Ireland) that met an unfortunate fate that I would love to replace.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was eyeing that one. Might jump. Also attracted to the navy and grey.

I might need more info here.

I had a hand knit Aran (bought in Ireland) that met an unfortunate fate that I would love to replace.

Here's their website. O'Maille Original House of Style
Anne O'Maille is the owner and operator. She has a group of women who knit in their spare time. I placed my order via the website form in early August. She reached out via email a few days later telling me the details of who would be knitting and the basic timeline. I responded asking if she needed any more information from me, but she went radio silent until today, when she told me that it would be ready this week. I think the price was around 230 Euro. I chose natural oatmeal. The other colors are dark natural (kind of a medium brown), cream, and there may be a forest green available too. She offers a few different patterns on the website, including a turtle neck, crew neck, saddle shoulder, and the roll neck I chose.

The form includes height, weight, and sweater size. I included my height and weight in cm and kg. I hope my sweater size was correct. I went w 42. I'm a 40 in suit jackets. The timeline for delivery is pretty much on track for what Anne originally suggested. I think she said around the end of September. With anything custom or hand made, I assume that they will be overpromising, but she seemed to hit it right on.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Here's their website. O'Maille Original House of Style
Anne O'Maille is the owner and operator. She has a group of women who knit in their spare time. I placed my order via the website form in early August. She reached out via email a few days later telling me the details of who would be knitting and the basic timeline. I responded asking if she needed any more information from me, but she went radio silent until today, when she told me that it would be ready this week. I think the price was around 230 Euro. I chose natural oatmeal. The other colors are dark natural (kind of a medium brown), cream, and there may be a forest green available too. She offers a few different patterns on the website, including a turtle neck, crew neck, saddle shoulder, and the roll neck I chose.

The form includes height, weight, and sweater size. I included my height and weight in cm and kg. I hope my sweater size was correct. I went w 42. I'm a 40 in suit jackets. The timeline for delivery is pretty much on track for what Anne originally suggested. I think she said around the end of September. With anything custom or hand made, I assume that they will be overpromising, but she seemed to hit it right on.

Be sure to take pictures!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently it's difficult to knit at angles. So unlike most ties, which are woven, knit ties are square. I don't know how to do either, nor do I know how to sew a button.

That is about the only thing I can do with a needle. Well that and picking out the odd ingrown facial/beard hair

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running hot is the worst. I saw the temp of 62 today and thought it would be a good day to wear a new chore coat over a tshirt for a walk with my kid. False. Ten steps was all it took to be uncomfortably hot. Bye bye chore coat. Finished the walk with just the T-shirt (and jeans) and was still hot. Guess I’ll have to wait for low 50s to start wearing jackets again.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running hot is the worst. I saw the temp of 62 today and thought it would be a good day to wear a new chore coat over a tshirt for a walk with my kid. False. Ten steps was all it took to be uncomfortably hot. Bye bye chore coat. Finished the walk with just the T-shirt (and jeans) and was still hot. Guess I’ll have to wait for low 50s to start wearing jackets again.
I’ve been in a suit all week. No overcoat needed. Had to carry my jacket in the afternoon. Awesome running weather.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love overcoat-with-suit weather because of all the additional pockets for keeping stuff. That's really all a coat is, after all. A place to keep more stuff.

what all do you carry?

Car key
Wallet
Pocket knife
Bandana/hanky (sometimes).
Mask

that’s it for me

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standards are just:
Phone
Wallet (a Chester Mox card case)
Burts Bees
Keys
But for some reason I always seem to carry around assorted other things for no reason.

Left front pocket
Phone (or right hip pocket on suit/sport jacket)
Chapstick

Right front pocket
Wallet Chester Mox compact bifold in brown shell cordovan
Money clip w $20s
loose small bills

Keep my car key in my 5th pocket on jeans and pants with that pocket. Otherwise, I leave it on my desk at work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics