• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I definitely see the truth in this. However, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. I don't care about cars. We needed to buy one but it's not something I spend any time thinking about. If I put spinning rims and fire decals on my c-max hybrid, I would get absolutely roasted by car enthusiasts, and rightfully so!

Maybe...I guess it depends on the strength of the analogy. Fire decals are something that seem obviously tacky even to me and I know nothing about cars. I think many people think some of these shoes, belts, 3-piece suits, etc. genuinely look good. In other words, I don't think the things are in poor taste in quite the same way. I guess there is a question as to where to draw the line between things that are obviously silly and things that an uninformed person would think look good, and perhaps you think some of this dress passes the threshold for obviously silly things.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sooner that people on this web site accept that we are the weird ones, the easier this all becomes. Unless someone's clothes meaningfully impact you (and 99% of the time they don't), you really shouldn't give a **** what other people are wearing. You know who gets sideways stares from their bosses in the workplace? Not the dudes in generic mall brand clothing. It's the 20-something StyFo poster strutting around overdressed while he makes photocopies. We're the weird ones. That's not to say you shouldn't dress how you want to dress, but we're not some enlightened beings because we wear Goodyear welted shoes. We're hobbyists.

I've been active on this forum for almost 14 years, so I obviously enjoy nerding out on clothes. It probably took me 10 to figure this all out. That, frankly, is sad. It's been a great revelation. It's not just the ease of not having to worry about some random dude's shoes. It actually helped me start appreciating other types of style and evolve my own way of dressing in a manner that's more appropriate for my personality and lifestyle.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sooner that people on this web site accept that we are the weird ones, the easier this all becomes. Unless someone's clothes meaningfully impact you (and 99% of the time they don't), you really shouldn't give a **** what other people are wearing. You know who gets sideways stares from their bosses in the workplace? Not the dudes in generic mall brand clothing. It's the 20-something StyFo poster strutting around overdressed while he makes photocopies. We're the weird ones. That's not to say you shouldn't dress how you want to dress, but we're not some enlightened beings because we wear Goodyear welted shoes. We're hobbyists.

I've been active on this forum for almost 14 years, so I obviously enjoy nerding out on clothes. It probably took me 10 to figure this all out. That, frankly, is sad. It's been a great revelation. It's not just the ease of not having to worry about some random dude's shoes. It actually helped me start appreciating other types of style and evolve my own way of dressing in a manner that's more appropriate for my personality and lifestyle.
Yes, I agree but as hobbyists we do have a certain degree of expertise. Nothing wrong with imparting a little wisdom formed from experience. I’ll pass on constructive criticism to folks that I somewhat arrogantly think need it.

Nothing wrong with telling the young dude to remove the basting stitches from side vents or constructively pointing out over-large shoulders on someone’s jacket if you have a rapport with them.

No different from any hobbyist pointing out some nuance to a novice.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree but as hobbyists we do have a certain degree of expertise. Nothing wrong with imparting a little wisdom formed from experience. I’ll pass on constructive criticism to folks that I somewhat arrogantly think need it.

Nothing wrong with telling the young dude to remove the basting stitches from side vents or constructively pointing out over-large shoulders on someone’s jacket if you have a rapport with them.

No different from any hobbyist pointing out some nuance to a novice.
I really only talk about this stuff on the internet with people who share the same interest. Otherwise, I generally avoid providing unsolicited clothing advice in-person. If someone asks for my thoughts I oblige and try not to be an asshole about it (don't always succeed on that part, but I try!).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really only talk about this stuff on the internet with people who share the same interest. Otherwise, I generally avoid providing unsolicited clothing advice in-person. If someone asks for my thoughts I oblige and try not to be an asshole about it (don't always succeed on that part, but I try!).
I tend to wait until it comes up in conversation. I’m known as the “good dresser” in an office full of Jos A. Bank folks. We have military dudes that are not always adept at CM. Have shown them you can move a little beyond the charcoal suit, white shirt and red or blue tie.

Anyway, we do split lots of hairs here but all in good hobbyist fun!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another slow work day so I find myself here. Anyone need some advice on how to dress?

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the target audience for most men when they dress is women, not e-bros on an internet forum. The average woman knows as much about mens clothes as the average man knows about womens clothes, which is to say close to zero. No woman is going to be impressed by a bespoke suit and a pair of Edward Greens. Did any of you attract your wife/partner/girlfriend by being better dressed than the next guy?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the target audience for most men when they dress is women, not e-bros on an internet forum. The average woman knows as much about mens clothes as the average man knows about womens clothes, which is to say close to zero. No woman is going to be impressed by a bespoke suit and a pair of Edward Greens. Did any of you attract your wife/partner/girlfriend by being better dressed than the next guy?
I attracted my wife by letting her borrow an acrylic Burberry knock off scarf. Best $20 I ever spent.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Women notice a well-dressed man. They tend to see symmetry and attention to detail very well.

None are going to ask if your shoes are EG but they will likely appreciate good shoes, right?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say my charming good looks but I'm single at the moment.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife thinks it's asinine that I spend so much money/energy on what I wear.

Edit to add - I do think women appreciate men who dress well. But I don't think many (any?) would be able to notice the difference between EG shoes and, say, rubber soled Johnston & Murphy shoes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I'm guessing that for most women, "well dressed" means Gucci bit loafers, an Hermes H belt, and a logo tee/polo shirt . . .

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I'm guessing that for most women, "well dressed" means Gucci bit loafers, an Hermes H belt, and a logo tee/polo shirt . . .

So what does that mean for masses arguing on the Bespoke Shoes Thread about $4K shoes? I'm pretty sure they will be disappointed when they find out bishes only care about Gucci Bit loafers.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me, Sid Mashburn, Canali, Isaia and C&J did our civic duty today. Early voting rocks!!!

E3816CB1-11D5-4A5D-AFF6-235B65BB7C6F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads