• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official-ish DC Thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like IPAs, but it seems like they've taken over half the draft taps at any decent bar. Sometimes I want an IPA, sometimes I want a wheat beer (Hoegaarden), stout (Left Hand Milk), or bock (Schneider Aventinus).

EzraPaul

Reaction score
I'll admit that I used to claim I loved IPAs because I figured if something tastes so obviously repulsive then liking it must mean you have a refined palate. Then I visited Germany and tried actually good beer and will never have an IPA again. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
My go to is Pilsner Urquell. Enough hops to not taste like pisswater American Pilsner/lager without inducing ipa mouth. Crisp and refreshing, how a beer should be.

EzraPaul

Reaction score
I’ve never actually been to any bars in Adams Morgan. Crazy I know.
How is that possible?? Once Covid clears (if that ever happens), we’ll walk up from the shop. The Green Zone is fun for one drink, Jack Rose for whiskey. Haven’t made it to the new Imperial, but it’s one of the few new places that doesn’t seem to have the same old decor as everywhere else. Other than the lower stretch of Admo, I avoid it like the plague. Not interested in drunken bros...

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is that possible?? Once Covid clears (if that ever happens), we’ll walk up from the shop. The Green Zone is fun for one drink, Jack Rose for whiskey. Haven’t made it to the new Imperial, but it’s one of the few new places that doesn’t seem to have the same old decor as everywhere else. Other than the lower stretch of Admo, I avoid it like the plague. Not interested in drunken bros...
I lived in Fredrick for a long time and now in Arlington. Just never made it over there. 🤓

frosejr

Reaction score
You sound like all my friends when I tell them I hate IPAs. "Well you haven't tried **this** IPA." After a couple years of being a trooper and trying "this" one, I realized that all IPAs taste like shit and I stopped indulging my friends.
Hot take: all IPAs taste like shit, and all the buzz around IPAs is a fad that will dissipate when people collectively realize they’ve been drinking shit.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot take: all IPAs taste like shit, and all the buzz around IPAs is a fad that will dissipate when people collectively realize they’ve been drinking shit.
I greatly prefer lagers and brown ales.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Concur. IPAs are always terrible. I rather drink gin than an IPA.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit that I used to claim I loved IPAs because I figured if something tastes so obviously repulsive then liking it must mean you have a refined palate. Then I visited Germany and tried actually good beer and will never have an IPA again. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
I am just a Boston guy who reads this thread because I went to school down there. Can I interest any of y'all in a New England IPA? https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/what-is-new-england-ipa/

hpreston

Reaction score
I love IPAs (Sierra Nevadas are generally my favorites, both the Pale Ale and the Torpedo), but, admittedly, some brewers went off the deep end trying to make their IPA the hoppiest of the hoppies. Ended up with these double imperial IPAs that taste terrible
I have to agree. Hop Bombs taste like someone wedge a pine cone in my beer. IPAs are great but can be over-the-top.
Agree on all counts. A beer needs to be balanced, malt and hops. Some brewers go way over the top with the hops, just because they can, those beers tend to be unbalanced and too hoppy.

Was chatting with a friend from the UK where, in general, even IPAs are less hoppy than American IPA, but now, British brewers are experimenting with “American Style IPAs” 🤦‍♂️

I am just a Boston guy who reads this thread because I went to school down there. Can I interest any of y'all in a New England IPA? https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/what-is-new-england-ipa/
Yes, yes you can.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I greatly prefer lagers and brown ales.
I like brown ales, porters, and stouts. I don't like IPAs. I never liked most American beers - which meant I never drank beer in college, because cheap American beers are the only thing that's available.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink seasonally - Guinness when the weather is shit. IPAs work well with strong food - Indian, or when it is humid and you need a taste to persevere through the heat. That said, a lot of IPAs over 7 abv are stunts either in alcohol or hops, but the cognoscenti have moved on to sour beers, which is a problem if you are like me in that you are good for only twentish ounces of them before the pH level of your innards is such that you could digest rocks.

I await a stout trend. Until then, I bide my time picking my spots, not taking all comers, and often eating while I do so.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like brown ales, porters, and stouts. I don't like IPAs. I never liked most American beers - which meant I never drank beer in college, because cheap American beers are the only thing that's available.
American beer used to be like the old Monty Python joke.

Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?
A: Because it's fucking close to water.

The rise of the microbrewery has been quite amazing. Lots of weird stuff and crazy concoctions to avoid at all costs but lots of amazing beer as well. I did, however, love living in Germany. There is something about a monestary beer brewed since 1618 (missing you, Ettal Brewery...). Amazing beers in Germany although they are consolidating some like English Pubs and some of the uniqueness is evaporating. If more unique beer was required then the Belgians were standing by.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.