• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official iGent Handbook

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There's a lot of confusion about this, and I wanted to see if i could clear some of it up. It will no doubt take more than one post and I welcome others to weigh in as necessary.

Rather than provide an all-ecompassing definition, which in the past has proved difficult, I thought I would just run through some of the touchstones.

First, the shoulders. This is the iGent's ne plus ultra characteristic. There can be no padding. A little extension is fine, as is no extension. Drape in the chest (highlighed) is essential.

drapeqj9.jpg

Note the knit tie. Another hallmark of the iGent is succumbing to groupthink. Also, a classic square from H&H (unicorns), with a border. Nothing newfangled, ever, for the iGent. Note also the texture mixing (silk tie, wool square) and the fact that the square matches nothing, espeically not the tie, but picks up a little of everything.

iGents also wear coats with high buttoning points. And the preferred stance is 3 roll 2. Not the top buttonhole (highlighted). Note also the patch breast pocket (optional) with a swelled edge (mandatary for patch pockets).

p1050388swa9.jpg

iGents cannot leave the house without wearing something from Napoli. It's like going out with no green on St. Patrick's Day. Except instead of getting pinched, your iGent card will be revoked. In this case the trousers (Ambrosi) and the tie (Buonnano) are from Naples. Extra points if at least one item is not from one of the more recognized Neapolitan brands.

p1050387oi9.jpg

iGents also, whenever possible, wear bandaid-colored shoes. This is not always possible. But when it is, and an iGent fails to wear them, he goes on iGent probation.

p1050390zc8.jpg

There's a lot more to it than this, but that is a basic primer that should kick off the discussion.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^An iGent also makes sure that his shoelaces are always tied....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia

Well, I am on probation again.
frown.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And the collar has a nice roll.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You forgot to mention your 2" cuffs, which look especially silly on thick corduroy, but are an iGent staple if anything is.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You forgot to mention your 2" cuffs, which look especially silly on thick corduroy, but are an iGent staple if anything is.

Yes, 2" cuffs are a must. Actually, being Neapolitan, those are 5 cm, which is a hair less than 2", but you are right that I should have mentioned it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia

Negative iGent points for the closed quarters, the sub 2" turnups, the solid color shirt, and textured but solid color socks, and taking a photograph outside of a restroom or bathroom. That, plus the untied shoelaces would be -6 iGent points.

Positive iGent points for the headless photograph and crossed leg shoe shot. Bonus iGent points for posting photographs on the interwebs in the first place. So, +8 iGent points.

You miss out on the biggest bonus iGent points, which would be for using bedsheets as shirting material. That's a +27, and scoring that pretty much makes a person the Imperator of the iGents.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There's a lot of confusion about this, and I wanted to see if i could clear some of it up. It will no doubt take more than one post and I welcome others to weigh in as necessary.

Rather than provide an all-ecompassing definition, which in the past has proved difficult, I thought I would just run through some of the touchstones.

First, the shoulders. This is the iGent's ne plus ultra characteristic. There can be no padding. A little extension is fine, as is no extension. Drape in the chest (highlighed) is essential.

Note the knit tie. Another hallmark of the iGent is succumbing to groupthink. Also, a classic square from H&H (unicorns), with a border. Nothing newfangled, ever, for the iGent. Note also the texture mixing (silk tie, wool square) and the fact that the square matches nothing, espeically not the tie, but picks up a little of everything.

iGents also wear coats with high buttoning points. And the preferred stance is 3 roll 2. Not the top buttonhole (highlighted). Note also the patch breast pocket (optional) with a swelled edge (mandatary for patch pockets).

iGents cannot leave the house without wearing something from Napoli. It's like going out with no green on St. Patrick's Day. Except instead of getting pinched, your iGent card will be revoked. In this case the trousers (Ambrosi) and the tie (Buonnano) are from Naples. Extra points if at least one item is not from one of the more recognized Neapolitan brands.

iGents also, whenever possible, wear bandaid-colored shoes. This is not always possible. But when it is, and an iGent fails to wear them, he goes on iGent probation.

There's a lot more to it than this, but that is a basic primer that should kick off the discussion.

FatRabbit.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Negative iGent points for the closed quarters, the sub 2" turnups, the solid color shirt, and textured but solid color socks, and taking a photograph outside of a restroom or bathroom. That, plus the untied shoelaces would be -6 iGent points.

Positive iGent points for the headless photograph and crossed leg shoe shot. Bonus iGent points for posting photographs on the interwebs in the first place. So, +8 iGent points.

You miss out on the biggest bonus iGent points, which would be for using bedsheets as shirting material. That's a +27, and scoring that pretty much makes a person the Imperator of the iGents.

- B

The socks have a pattern.

Solid colored shirts are, too, iGent.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Half-point deduction for the lack of spalla camicia.

Plus one for not wearing socks the same color as your pants; minus two for making them grey.

Provisonally, minus two points for more than minimal break; pull the pants up a little and you may get a point back.

Plus five for standing stiff as a board.

Did you have a significant other take the photo for you? If so, plus a half-point.

Minus three for the fancy but tasteful pocket square; the iGent typically prefers something much plainer or much uglier.

Did you dress up specifically to take a picture and post it on an accredited iGent forum? Plus ten points.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Half-point deduction for the lack of spalla camicia.

Plus one for not wearing socks the same color as your pants; minus two for making them grey.

Provisonally, minus two points for more than minimal break; pull the pants up a little and you may get a point back.

Plus five for standing stiff as a board.

Did you have a significant other take the photo for you? If so, plus a half-point.

Minus three for the fancy but tasteful pocket square; the iGent typically prefers something much plainer or much uglier.

Did you dress up specifically to take a picture and post it on an accredited iGent forum? Plus ten points.

Fair enough re: the SC. But we all know I have some, so the deduction maybe should be lower.

The socks are not gray.

Yes, the pants must have slipped a bit. They are cut to have no break.

I disagree about the PS. The iGent is ecumenical about the PS. The iconic iGent sqaures are: white line, TV fold; S&G showing a little border and maybe one point; printed silk or wool classic pattern, puffed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads