1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official I Sarti Italiani Sicilian Sartoria Thread - official affiliate thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UrbanComposition, Feb 5, 2019.

1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

ENDORSED BY STYLEFORUM ADMINS

Salvo from I Sarti Italiani will come to San Francisco and will take appointments from Friday 3/8 to Sunday 3/10. He’ll actually be in town a couple days before and after so if you can’t make it during those days, he may be flexible.

Jackets are fully canvassed, with hand padded canvassing and hand attached collars and sleeves. Sport coats are €800 and suits are €1000, excluding cloth. Details such as handmade buttonholes and pickstitching are an additional €100.

Salvo will have books from Drapers, Zegna, and Drago, but will also accept CMT cloth for no fee.

To keep costs low, appointments will take place at my apartment, and I’ll be translating.

Because of his limited English he’s leaning on me heavily to set him up with clients, so I reached out to @LA Guy and set up this thread with his blessing. Whether it continues after the visit is up to Salvo.

I asked other tailors to come out and they set their prices at €3000 for a suit. Honestly, this price is hard to find even in Italy. Personally I’ve had two suits and two sport coats made by them and can compare it favorably to my other bespoke.

Getting Italian tailors to Dan Francisco is a rare thing, and it’s my hope that more will follow. @dieworkwear is looking into getting others to San Francisco, and I feel the more options, the better.

Anyone interested? I’ll post pics of my other stuff, but here’s a couple with Derek’s summer tweed.

2DC00593-3296-4108-B976-80617EAC81B4.jpeg 4D182B02-A801-4F96-8926-EDB6C176062A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. UrbanComposition

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Very nice! If I was in San Francisco, I'd be all over this. Since I'm not, best of luck to him!

4. UrbanComposition

Thanks! You should schedule your next visit to Sacramento to coincide ;)

5. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

I look forward to seeing the results, your pieces look great @UrbanComposition

I know you mentioned a possible visit to NYC at some point as well, is that still in the cards?

Best,

DL-

6. UrbanComposition

The last I spoke with Salvo about NYC, it was as soon as October/November of this year, when he comes again for the first fitting for SF clients. At the latest, next March.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Salvo was part of Styleforum's little Artisan showcase in January 2018 in Florence "Maker Space", coincident with Pitti Uomo, and the quality-to price-ratio is really quite good (and the quality itself is also quite high). Especially with prices of Neapolitan makers and styles blowing up with their introduction to the Chinese market, Sicilian makers represent not just a good value, but something fresh that has not had widespread exposure.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Now that is an exceedingly common-sensical recommendation!

9. UrbanComposition

Thanks for everyone being willing to sign up. Would like to have ten orders, and were a little over halfway there.

I’ll get a fixed price list tomorrow so there’ll be no surprises. A suit should be about €1000 but I’ll know for sure tomorrow.

10. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior Member

@UrbanComposition Thanks for arranging this.

I'm interested and based on your info on the East Sicily thread sent an email to [email protected] last week to set up an appointment. I have not received a reply yet so wonder if I should be scheduling through you?

Thanks!

11. UrbanComposition

To be honest, I think it was just created last Friday. I’ll PM you to get your details and forward them along.

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

13. UrbanComposition

Here is the price list for the trunk show in EURO, not including cloth:

Suit: 1000
    Jacket: 840
    Trousers: 160
    Vest: 160
    Tuxedo (includes trousers) : 1150
    Overcoat: 950
    Frock coat: 1150 (for those times when you meet foreign heads of state)

Shirts are €100, which is a pretty fantastic price. I’ve never had one done, but I just might.

14. UrbanComposition

@emptym wanted 4 ply, and so I asked Mark Cho his thoughts on Draper’s Ascot 4-ply versus Smith’s Finmeresco:
    “I like the Drapers VBC one best. Similar texture but more bouncy.”

Salvo has these:
    A46226E7-6FB5-4A2A-8177-B82B15369ECB.jpeg DEFAB35A-B410-4555-A70D-C2F18FA27BDC.jpeg E1B2CCDA-8297-4E02-9957-8F3E5BE9E7F2.jpeg 13E74E44-5541-416C-957A-4869952B4EDE.jpeg 44025331-A797-43A8-A4F8-97A2476ED400.jpeg 1593C8D8-6097-4DCF-A17F-677E8C1FB935.jpeg

15. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks a lot, P! I'm sure Mark knows more about cloth in general than I do, and more about that cloth in particular too. But I'm skeptical because I have a pair of pants made of VBC's 4 ply fresco (a few swatches too), and I don't think it's very much like Smith's 4 ply finmeresco. Lots of Drapers stuff is rebranded VBC, but maybe this will be different, so I look forward to seeing it.

Mainly, I just want a mid-weight (10-12 oz) fresco or hopsack. If it's not the Smiths, then I'd probably go for hopsack over fresco.