• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

eggplantsplz

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post in this thread so apologies if this has been asked/answered quite a few times.

Looking for styling tips (both in method and product). Have relatively thick Asian hair, that use to be longer and styled in a pomp. Used a variety of pomades including Layrite, Suavecito, and Imperial Barber. Decided a change was in order and shortened my hair.. it's now approx. 2 inches on the top, sides still quite short.

One of the things I disliked about the pomades were their high shine. With the shorter hair now, I kind of want the natural, 'wake up get out of bed but have nice hair still' look, and would prefer a product that could help achieve that. Can anyone recommend some? Was looking into the Layrite Cement Clay as an option. Some tips on how to apply the product/order or washing/product/drying etc etc would be helpful too.

Thanks!

kovalchuk71

Reaction score
I have been growing my hair out for the past year or so, and it's ~9-10". I have medical school interviews coming up, and need something on the more conservative side. I have tried the comb over, but it just does not work with my face (At least, IMO). I posted some pictures of my face and my current hair below. Any advice/suggestions would be great!

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorter like Trump's sons might be adequate, presuming interviewers either don't make the association or don't dislike the father. Not as much product as they use, however, please.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still feel that way? Might give it a shot. Been using Sebastian Craft Clay and I'm not super happy with it.

Edit: ordered it.
smile.gif

What do you think of Davines Moulding Clay so far? My tin of Bed Head Separation wax is about to finish up and I just ordered this as an upgrade.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think of Davines Moulding Clay so far? My tin of Bed Head Separation wax is about to finish up and I just ordered this as an upgrade.

I really like it so far. Much better than the Sebastian Craft Clay--but FYI I've got no other clays to compare it to. Good hold, matte finish. Smell is vanilla+bubble gum, but not that much sillage. Definitely smells better than that rancy-ish smell of Sebastian's clay. :satisfied:

Lenzin

Reaction score
so, I wanted to ask if you could recomend a hairstyle to me.I usually have them to the rear but here is a pix of me:

whould be great if you could recomend a hairstyle fitting my face
1f60a.png

thanks a lot.

greeting
Lenzin

deaftolight

Reaction score
I have a question...

In the explanation the stylist gives in the following link, he says to put about 5 different products in 80% wet hair, and finish it off with blow-drying. But are you supposed to blow-dry in between? Or are you just supposed to put in the mousse, then the sprays, then the cream, one after the other and then dry it? It just seems kinda weird just to throw it all in there one immediately after the other, like it won't really do anything...

https://www.gq.com/story/stranger-things-2-joe-keery-steve-hair

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any advice on shampoo and/or wax/pomade combination for extremely thick, straight hair that gets greasy very easily? Using clarifying shampoo and Gatsby Grunge Mat right now and my hair is limp and oily by happy hour. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Modern made

Reaction score
Hey stumbled upon this forum look at hair cut advice, I was thinking of growing my hair long pretty much always kept it short. It’s getting longer and harder for me to know what to do with it, I’ve attached a current photo. Should I grow it or stick to my normal low cuts. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2501FD53-81C4-40A2-933E-3E92EA1E730F.png
    2501FD53-81C4-40A2-933E-3E92EA1E730F.png
    480.1 KB · Views: 134

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any advice on shampoo and/or wax/pomade combination for extremely thick, straight hair that gets greasy very easily? Using clarifying shampoo and Gatsby Grunge Mat right now and my hair is limp and oily by happy hour. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Super late response but did you figure it out? How often are you washing your hair with shampoo? I have the same hair type as you and I found Baxter of California's clay pomade worked great but my hair is on the longer side. It's on the expensive side but it's worth it, I think you can ask them for a sample.

Hey stumbled upon this forum look at hair cut advice, I was thinking of growing my hair long pretty much always kept it short. It’s getting longer and harder for me to know what to do with it, I’ve attached a current photo. Should I grow it or stick to my normal low cuts. Thanks in advance

Can't really see your hair. How long were you thinking of growing it out?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Super late response but did you figure it out? How often are you washing your hair with shampoo? I have the same hair type as you and I found Baxter of California's clay pomade worked great but my hair is on the longer side. It's on the expensive side but it's worth it, I think you can ask them for a sample.

I try to wash my hair once a day at maximum, but having straight hair means I have to style it every morning. Not ideal. I've started using a leave-in conditioner to control moisture and then a spray mousse before blow-drying. I find that gives me a pretty sturdy base for the day. After blow-drying I toss in (funny enough) some Baxter styling wax (my barber recommended it) for texture. It's been working out a lot better.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to wash my hair once a day at maximum, but having straight hair means I have to style it every morning. Not ideal. I've started using a leave-in conditioner to control moisture and then a spray mousse before blow-drying. I find that gives me a pretty sturdy base for the day. After blow-drying I toss in (funny enough) some Baxter styling wax (my barber recommended it) for texture. It's been working out a lot better.

Yea I have to style my hair every morning too, mine is on the longer side though and slicked back.

If you're still having problems with oily hair I would try a couple things...
1) use conditioner less often as it won't help your greasy hair/scalp.
2) this goes against the no shampoo crowd in here, but I wash my hair once or twice a week with head and shoulders depending on how oily it gets. It strips my hair/scalp of the oil (which is a good thing in my case), I just put a little conditioner in after. The rest of the week I will use a much gentler shampoo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads