• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Side fun fact about Randy from the Beauty brains. He apparently sold the idea of a black costume for spider man to marvel when he was 22 years old for $220. They ended up using the idea for Venom.

lunar

Reaction score
I have quite a bad receding hairline, and I'm still in my teens. Am I doomed?

tonecrush

Reaction score
So I have long hair past my blades with a high undercut. I tie it up because it's so long when I go out. But I'm growing tired of the comments about "top knots" really. I'm thinking I want to just grow my undercut out and have normal long hair again, and maybe get an angled shaping ( not sure of the right wording for it) to look like this. My colour is golden blonde though. Thoughts? It's not just the negativity I also personally feel like it looks better without UC and I've done it for over 2 years now.

Philippe Lopes

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first post here so, I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I'm 21 years old and live in Brazil. I'm growing my hair for 1 year and 9 months. I have a straight hair but it's very thick and full (sorry my bad english). About 2 weeks ago I wanted to change my hairstyle and starting looking for a new hairstyle to wear. I found some undercuts that I liked but I'm afraid to cut, after all, It takes me almost 2 years to grow my hair. Somebody has any suggestion of what should I do with my hair? Thanks all.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks fine. I don't like undercuts with long hair. There was a guy a few posts ago who did it and wants to grow it back out.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems to work well with your style. I'm not a fan of the samurai look, but down it looks cool.

coolron

Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH What shampoo and conditioner are you using now?

alec huriega

Reaction score
@PhilippeLopes that looks good man I suggest a little longer on the sides and back though If you wanna keep some length, have them taper fade it also, and if you or anyone is interested I recently started a new YouTube channel just for hairstyles and products if you'd like tips and tricks on how to get healthy hair and products to use and stuff like that haha thanks guys! https://m.youtube.com/user/alexhawk761

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I have thick, straight hair that I wear in a short side part (pic for reference). It tends to get greasy and messy quickly, so looking for:

• A shampoo that can cut through build-up (without murdering my scalp)
  • A cream that I can use for styling

I'm currently using Aveda Grooming Clay, which I like because it leaves a relatively sheen-free, natural appearance. However, it lacks a bit in the hold department (a stray breeze renders me disheveled), and it seems to make my hair pretty greasy and limp by the end of the day. I assume both the shampoo and molding clay share blame for the excess grease and weight, but any insight and advice would be great. Thanks much.

Last edited:

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried blow drying your hair into place beforehand? I no longer style my hair, but when I did, Gatsby was always one of my go to brands. Try the purple or pink one. Grey if you manage to find it. These three leave a matte finish so it looks natural. Tip on cleaning it off before bed: Apply conditioner to hair first.

Hairbond moulder and shaper are also options you may want to try. Always look for videos on Youtube beforehand to see if demonstrations of the product are available.

edit: You might also want to apply product more close to the scalp for better hold.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Have you tried blow drying your hair into place beforehand? I no longer style my hair, but when I did, Gatsby was always one of my go to brands. Try the purple or pink one. Grey if you manage to find it. These three leave a matte finish so it looks natural. Tip on cleaning it off before bed: Apply conditioner to hair first.

Hairbond moulder and shaper are also options you may want to try. Always look for videos on Youtube beforehand to see if demonstrations of the product are available. 

edit: You might also want to apply product more close to the scalp for better hold.

Interesting. Looks like there are plenty of eBay sellers offering the grey "Moving Rubber" Gatsby wax. For $10 might as well give it a shot. I appreciate the advice.

I generally avoid blow-drying as it usually lends too much volume, making me look like I'm wearing a helmet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads