1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

I should have said preserve the texture already there. It smooths out the rough and dry edges. It not going to significantly straighten.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

So I've been using the doctor bronner conditioner for about two year now and want to move to some thing else. It leave too much residue in shower. What's the best conditioner to use instead of shampoo which can be picked up at Sallys beauty supply? I have fine hair

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You want to use a conditioner to clean your hair? Like the "no poo" method?

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

nm

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. patrickBOOTH

If you want to do this read this post by a cosmetic chemist on what to use for no-poo.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-does-no-shampoo-concept-work.html

1 person likes this.
  7. mjg46

mjg46 New Member

Hi guys, I've been trying to look for the perfect hair product since ever. I've tried so many products from waxes, clays, fibers, and pomades, but none seem to work very well for me. My hair is the type that frizzes all the time. My hair is very hard to manage. All of the products I've tried havent been able to hold up my hair. It will hold up for like the first hour, but after, it will just fall and make my hair flat and limp. I don't know if its because my hair is so thin that it wont stand or if its so thick and unruly that it wont stand. Some products I've tried include gatsby moving rubber, american crew fiber, bed head matte wax, and my recent purchase, Uppercut Deluxe Pomade. None of them get that hold that I want in my hair. It ALWAYS ends up flat and ugly. The hair style that Im trying to go for is the Pompadour.

[​IMG]

What products can you recommend me? Some products that I've been wanting to try soon are the Uppercut Deluxe Monster Hold and Baxter of California Clay Pomade. Also, should I be using pomades or matte wax? Thanks!!

8. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

What type of hair do you have? this isn't enough information. However based on what you've said so far, I'm assuming you have a very thick head of hair that is coarse? maybe like east asian hair? Product alone is not the answer. Understand that depending on the type of hair you have, the technique needed to achieve this haircut will vary. A picture of your hair would help. You could always blur your face out for privacy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Agreed with @Mulan here but I'll also post this again as the most versatile, make-your-hair-do-damn-near-anything kind of wax.

[​IMG]

SYOSS Ture Hard wax

I don't have a clue where to get it and I couldn't find it even in Japan… but I still have 2 more jars stashed away. :satisfied:

I may add however, I feel it's pretty hard to gauge for one's self 1) what kind of cut is both desirable (to you, of course!) while being complimentary to the hair type & head shape and 2) the skill of the stylist/haircut person to both assess and execute #1. A great cut from a skilled stylist is as transformative as the perfectly fitting suit. It sounds kind of silly, but really if you've had someone able to cut your hair like that, they become essential. I've been lucky enough to have had three such people in my days and can completely understand why my mother has been seeing a woman named Joyce for maybe 30 f'g years now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. patrickBOOTH

This. It is hard to apply, but worth it. http://us.davines.com/this-is-a-strong-moulding-clay/d/1077C459

1 person likes this.
  11. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

For short to medium, straight, fine hair is American Crew fiber serviceable or should I be using something else?

12. patrickBOOTH

Depends on what you want to do with it.

13. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

With my nearly East-Asian hair, I don't have many choices. Something not too far from this:
    [​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

15. Nephomancy

Nephomancy New Member

I've never used any hairstyling product before although I'd like to know more about hair wax because it seems to be quite popular.

After I apply hair wax, will my hair feel sticky or greasy afterwards? If not, can anyone recommend any hair wax brands that won't make my hair feel sticky or greasy?

I ask this because I want to maintain a certain short hairstyle and whenever I become intimate with my hookup partner, I don't want her hands to feel sticky or greasy from the product residue if she wants to touch or run her hands through my hair.

Thanks.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

In short, yes.. and no. Depends on the wax, but anything you put in your hair will still be in there when s/he runs hands through it. IME the more "agreeable" the wax (less sticky, residue-y), the less effective it is. Always trade offs my man.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Best thing I've discovered for hair care is my home made hair tonic.In a 1 oz bottle with eye dropper, mix:

3 dropper fulls each tea tree oil and lavender oil

Fill the rest of bottle with fractionated coconut oil, which just means oil that's liquid at room temperature.

Mix and let sit.

Usage:

After taking a shower, when hair is still damp but no longer soaking wet, add one full dropper of this tonic in your hand, rub hands together and run through hair, massage into scalp.

Your hair will be so silk smooth for at least half the day. Amazing. Cheap and effective.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  18. jacquelep

jacquelep Member

Hair tonic wont work on people with really thick or curly hair. It makes it more unmanageable in my opinion. Life is hard with thick hair.

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

20. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

By "tonic," I just meant a concoction. It's three oils. Check it out. My barber is black and has thick curly hair. I made him a bottle and he loves it. Uses two dropper fulls since his hair is thick.