• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

hairtips

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new here and need some hair tips (hence the name). My hair has this bad habit of growing "up" and "poofy" and no matter what I do I can't stop it from growing that way. I usually have my hair to the side but am looking for a new look but ultimately wanting my hair to stop growing up and staying poofy. Any advice on how I should cut it and what products to use will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

As you can see in some pictures my hair grows up and stays poofy. I added another to show how I currently have my hair but it's pretty bland. Thanks again

edit: and my hair is very thick too. I would love to have thin hair..

Last edited:

hairtips

Reaction score
non sulfate shampoo. got it. Ill try that out and see if it thins out my hair thanks!

Bortelli

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im looking for a new hair style. Something classic. Whats your opinion on this hairstyle?

What barbers in New Jersey that you would suggest?

JesseLivermore

Reaction score
I already use Lay-rite for a hi-sheen wet look. However, I now need product for a dry matte look. My hair is quite thick.

My current options are:

Gatsby(purple or pink, I believe)
ID hair dusty bronze
Schwartzkopf Osis+ Mess UpTexture Matte gum
A wax from Bumble & Bumble

I don't want to turn this into a big deal and i'll probably end up ordering 2 or 3 of these all at once, but if anyone has any thoughts on these, or anything else that you might happen to use, please do so.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baxter makes a decent matte product but is a ***** to get out of your hair. I only use it where I part my hair and where my hair doesnt want to do what I want it to.

fathergll

Reaction score

Hi, official hair thread, my name is Andrew.

I've spent 10 years focusing on perfecting men's hairdressing, I've made several youtube videos on the topic of styling hair (admittedly, they have poor editing and quality, but I assure you they're rich in content), I teach cutting, styling, and marketing men's hair at a few local cosmetology and barber colleges, and I am in the process of working with a few other masters of their trades (a barber and a graphic designer) to create a line of custom formulated hair styling products. I've experienced what I'd consider a tremendous response to my Instagram page (@andrewdoeshair), where I find myself answering many of the questions I see a lot of you guys asking on this forum, too. If you'd allow me, I'd love to share some of what I know about hair.

[

Awesome post and awesome YouTube channel. This is completely the opposite of how I approach my hair.

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
Any hair dryer suggestions? I never used one, but ADH claims that I should be.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for good barbers/hairdressers in Austin?

Last edited:

fathergll

Reaction score

Any hair dryer suggestions? I never used one, but ADH claims that I should be.

http://www.amazon.com/Solano-Super-...8&qid=1369776919&sr=1-2&keywords=Super+Solano

ADH recommended the Super Solano. I've never used it but placed an order for one today.

I have a cheap one I got from kmart and used ADH advice and I must say I completely saw a huge change in my hair. All of these years I was using product to hold my hair up and simply by using a blow dryer to blow it where I want it and using a little bit of product made all of the difference in the world. Some of the best advice i've gotten about hair .....ever.

The Viking

Reaction score
I'm fascinated with the way 60s people styled their hair, especially this guy:

(Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys)

As illustrated below, the dude's hair ISN'T naturally like that and I'm dying to know what hair products people used back then to achieve those results (apart from the flat iron, if it was fashionable in the 60s).

My natural hair is slightly wavy and resembles his a bit, but every shampoo I ever tried completely destroys it. It dries it up completely, makes it light up in color, and gives it a hay-like texture that makes it impossible to style. It gets ruined at the lightest contact with wind. I don't blowdry it because it damages the hair, sometimes it curls up on the sides like little wings and sometimes the result is quite nice and straight. Here's my hair before and after shampooing, I've only combed it in the second picture because otherwise it's all over the place.

Can anybody shed some light on this? What hair products would you recommend? Thanks!

AlexxML

Reaction score
Hey I'm new here, looking for some hair advice. I'm getting sick of my hair and I feel that as I get older so should my hair. So I need a change. In the following album is my hair normally, and just some experimental undercut pics. My ears and nose are problems, as they are big. Any help is appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/fgqyp

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no groundbreaking advice here, but the style in the 4th pic and forward will look good if you just get it trimmed.
1 cm on the sides maybe, and 5-6 up top

tahonng

Reaction score
Looking for a place in Winston Salem or G'boro, NC for a haircut.

Asian and I like fades at the sides and the back and a little texture at the top. I'm a transplant here, from NYC/NJ, and I don't know if I've just never noticed it before, but I've never had this problem. The places here seem to be unable to give a really good fade. Sometimes there's a drastic transition between the short hair to the long hair, so it looks like there's a line, sometimes there's patches that have uneven length. I've gone to 2 guys who can do fades, but they can't cut for texture. I've been going to them for a bit, but I wanted to see if there were actual places that could do both.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics