1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. GlennErikFlaten

GlennErikFlaten Member

Can anyone help me with the Michael Part 3 hairstyle?

2. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think that might since you have a longer face. Have you ever had an undercut? Do you wear glasses?

4. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

I just bought the Dr Bronner's Peppermint Liquid Soap and have used it on my hair two or three times. It smells great, is a bit tingly and lathers and cleans so well. But I think it leaves my scalp a bit dry. I notice some dry skin show up around my temples right after I'm done with my shower. Is this a property of the mint in it? Would the tea tree liquid soap be better for my hair/scalp? If so I want to switch to that instead of continuing with the peppermint version.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, the tea tree helps with flaking and it is a natural antiseptic so it kills a lot of bacteria that causes dandruff. It is important to rinse your hair with either the Bronner's citrus rinse or lemon juice after washing with their soaps. Natural soaps have a high ph and this causes the hair follicle to open up and feel waxy, or tangly. It also makes your hair matte. The citrus rinse, with a very low ph closes the cuticle making your hair smoother and shiny. I have used both the citrus rinse and lemon juice. They both work, but the bronners is slightly better because of the other ingredients in it.

Also acids like lemon juice and others in exfoliating products encourage the turnover of skin cells so it helps that way as well. It will help sluff off dead scalp skin. Using it regularly helps a lot.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Appreciate the detailed reply thank you! I started using Bronner's because of one of your previous in-depth posts. I saw that you were using the tea tree version, but I really liked the peppermint scent and so thought I would try that. I think I will go get the tea tree and use that for my hair instead and see if that changes anything.

At this point, I don't think my wallet would like it if I spent more money on regular hair products. The soap is already double what I am used to paying for shampoo. Also I don't have much of a problem with how my hair feels right now after I wash it with the soap. In fact I kind of like that it is a bit rough-ish when it is dry because I have really thin straight and short hair. This sort of makes it look and feel like there is more volume.

I might try using some lemon juice though. Is this something that can be made at home or is there a specific kind that I can buy? Also would this be considered a conditioner? I assume this won't cost very much either way. It would be nice to give it a try and see how it leaves my hair.

I also had another question about your routine you posted. I try not to shampoo my hair every day like I used to. I'm starting with every other day for now and the days in between I just rinse with water. But if I end up going to the gym in one of those water rinse days, is it still fine to just rinse with water? Or does the fact that I sweated mean that soap is required to clean?

Thanks!

7. patrickBOOTH

Bronner's costs you more than shampoo? I guess if you are buying the 99 cent shampoo... It is highly concentrated so you don't need to use a lot. Also, I'd be sure to use the shikakae (sp?) soap in the pump things, not the regular castile. The pumps have more oils, and some other things that are more moisturizing.

As far as the rinse is concerned it comes concentrated so you have to dilute it before using it. It lasts a good amount of time, especially if you aren't using much. Like I said the benefits of this or lemon juice is it helps the turnover of dead skin cells which helps with dandruff. As far as the kind of lemon juice, I would just use whatever is cheapest. The issue with lemon juice is it spoils quickly as there aren't any preservatives in it. If you use spoiled lemon juice on your hair it smells sour and nasty. Bronner's is concentrated with some sort of natural preservative. Also pouring cold lemon juice on your head in the shower feels FREEZING and you will fear it.

As for non shampooing days just rinse with water. I am an every other day man myself. Full routine day 1, day 2 just rinse with water.

8. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Ah here was another mistake I made. I bought the regular castile soap and not the pump version. The regular does not have Shikakai Powder like you mentioned. I'll pick up the pump tea tree version this time.

And thanks for the info on the lemon juice vs Bronner's. I doubt I would use lemon juice after what you just said haha. I did notice how little soap I needed to use to shampoo with. At that rate, it should easily last 2x as long as my regular shampoo and may end up costing about the same in the long run even if I buy the rinse in addition. My shampoo used to cost about $4 and the Bronner's costs about double that and for not as many Oz. So I was a bit hesitant. I think I will eventually get some of the rinse.

On non-shampoo water rinse days, do you think that wold be adequate to clean even sweaty gym hair?

9. patrickBOOTH

That's up to you man. You should stop going to that pesky gym.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Pb, I went back aways in the thread, but could not find your post with the full routine, can you repost it? Or did you not post a full routine in one post, but bits and pieces here and there?

11. patrickBOOTH

It's not rocket science really. The past couple of posts here essentially say all you need to know.

12. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Haha that's a pretty compelling suggestion actually :D

Appreciate all the advice, thank you!

13. sdedalus1

sdedalus1 Well-Known Member

Can someone suggest a product like Bumble & Bumble Grooming Creme but with higher shine?

Backstory: Looking to try a slicked back look. I have dry, fine, wavy (and now that I'm in my mid thirties, slightly thinning) hair. I don't shampoo often and if it's not super dry in the winter, with some natural oil buildup, my hair has decent body in the front, and I can do a low pomp/quiff just by combing it wet. As long as the product is light, I don't need a lot of hold. But I want an all-day wet/shiny/greased look (without the actual grease).

B&B Surf Spray + Grooming Creme is great for a natural or tousled look with body, a little hold, and some sheen, but it's not quite slick enough for what I want to do.

When very dry in the winter, I've tried a silicones+oil shine serum (ah, the argan oil vogue): this gives the right amount of shine/grease but clumps up too much into thick, separate strands, making my hair look thinner. I'm not too worried about having much hold since the waviness of my hair has a good amount of natural body/lift. Combing my hair as I want it, adding some product when damp, air drying has given me the style I want so far--not looking to blow dry.

Am tempted to try a water-based pomade like Dax Super-Neat or Layrite Super Shine, but I suspect these are still too heavy/greasy for my hair. Thought I'd try another cream or serum to get the all-day shine first. Ideas?

thx.

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

15. patrickBOOTH

Affirmative.

1 person likes this.
  16. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

17. rusty18

rusty18 Well-Known Member

screw you pal!

but I can't argue with the truth.

I just tried the latest gimmick some site was schilling---Towel Dry it's called I think and I got the one for thinning hair, such that I could test for anyone here who has those problems. Me? no way.

i was shocked in all seriousness. it kinda feels like you're doing something bad to your hair when you put it on and massage it in. Doesn't later much at all but it's super easy to rinse out. then the conditioner portion is an all out styling product (more towards a wax than a leave in conditioner) that actually makes me look like I have a lot more hair.

If you try it, DON'T get the travet kit like I did thinking you're going to be smart. It's tiny as all heck.

18. rusty18

rusty18 Well-Known Member

@MarkL I just wanted to make it clear that I was not randomly popping out of thin air to tell you (a stranger to me at the moment but hopefully not forever!) to screw off. Rather, I was making a terribly unfunny joke because patrick_booth ha a ton of hair and still he knows everything to know about holding onto one's hair.
    So, now I must apologize to you, Sir Booth, for it was meant to be a joke grounded firmly in admiration, but it was kind of weird too. Already having "senior moments' it seems!

Anyway, I do have something else to add to the conversation that may be of value to sdedalus1. I have been using styling products from "Hanz de Fuko" for the past several months to great effect; this is the longest I've ever gone without searching for the elusive better product that I always think must exist.

It seems you can only but it on www.birchbox.com so check for a coupon code bc otherwise they are a bit overpriced in my opinion. I use this (Claymation):
    http://www.birchbox.com/men/hanz-de-fuko-claymation

along with Quicksand (the link is right on the page as an "Editor's tip" and I'm always a sucker for those!). Quicksand is unique: it's half dry shampoo have styling products--I would say closest in texture/appearance to a wax or clay. Then Claymation is a great clay that I mix with the Quicksand in varying amounts depending upon desired hold and shine, and it works out graat. Editor's tips are always correct!

19. Hair_Dude

Hair_Dude Well-Known Member

20. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

@patrickBOOTH Picked up the Tea Tree with Shikakai and stopped using the regular castile soap. This does end up making my hair less dry than the soap, but it is still dry unfortunately. Do you have a recommendation for a leave in conditioner? I used to use some random thing called 'It's a 10' but I don't want to use that anymore because it is full of chemicals and will negate what I'm trying to achieve with using the Bronner's natural stuff.