1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. bargerhm

bargerhm Active Member

If you want a style along the lines of what you posted, just ask them to put in a part (usually lined up around the middle of the eyebrow on the side it's on) and leave it long on top but clean on the sides. Just ask them what they'd suggest as far as how short to go and how to shape it up through the sides for your head shape or just do some more searching and find what you think would work. At my barber shop it's tough to get them to leave it longer on top than they usually do when I get a skin fade while I'm trying to grow it out, it's just how they cut medium length hair I guess, it's always a good shape and proportion though so it works.

I used to have somewhat of an undercut that was pretty long on top for a while just over a year ago or so. Used to get my haircut at this lady I knows house, she worked at a salon and had a nice setup in her basement at home too, for me it's always seemed that she/women in general cut long hair and messy styles better and barber shops are better for simple clean cuts of short to medium length, especially if clippers are involved. I've been trying to get this style back for a while but I've been getting the sides buzzed to a skin fade and I like to take it back down every 2 weeks and the barber shop always trims the top when they do the fade to make it work so it doesn't get much longer than it was by the next time.

When I had this I would ask her to leave like 2-3 inches on top and then the sides were about a 3-5 clipper length or so. I think she did some layering and other shit for texture that the barbers usually don't, one time one dude gave me trouble for asking him to point cut it to add texture, he did it for me but it's just not what they usually do there, and that's why I think it's good to find a lady you know or some shit to cut certain styles over going to a barber shop.

Here's some pictures of the old cut I had over a length of time. The only one that isn't from over a year ago is the bottom one and that's a grown out fade I had just a few months back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Max727

Max727 Well-Known Member

Do you think the style would work on me though?

3. bargerhm

bargerhm Active Member

What I tried to explain is that, yes, some variation of the long parted top cut will work for you, just ask whoever cuts your hair what would work best for your head for a style along those lines. Just about any hair style can be adjusted for any person, at least I'd think so to some extent.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. maraca2020

maraca2020 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looking for help with the hair on the left. I've got relatively thick, straight hair, and would love any help on how to get the left look.

5. Ozzie831

Ozzie831 New Member

Hey how's it going? New to the site and was looking for a little help figuring out what my face shape is and which hairstyles that go well with it :D.
    I don't have any hairstyles in mind, just want something that fits haha. I have 0 fashion sense so any help is appreciated.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's a photo for my face shape.[/FONT]

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of my hair

[​IMG]

6. hipster

hipster Senior member

so i need a haircut badly.

this is me:
    [​IMG]

this is the cut i really want(pic taken from SuFu). can anyone tell me if it would work with my head shape? i have a stupid whirl thing at the back of my head where the parting ends.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. perkynipman

perkynipman Member

it should work great!

as for the whirl, little bit of product and holding it down in place while u blow dry should tame the beast.

8. leadstylist

leadstylist Member

The company I work for (Thermafuse, in salon only) has an awesome product called tac and another called Formatte, both are amazing for control and definition.

9. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Have anyone used Baxter Of California product? I'm thinking of getting the clay pomade and daily moisturizer. And how does the clay pomade compare to Uppercut clay pomade?

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

11. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I also got a big whirl right where the parting ends by the top / back of my head. Just leave a little more length up top and you'll most be fine. Whirls only cause me problem when the hair is cut very short, making the hair around the whirl poof out. Keep some more length and the weight of the hair will do its job.

I'd also say that the haircut would look better if it wasn't as aggressive and short. I like to keep my top around 3" with the bangs just a bit longer and make the sides gradually taper to very short around the ears. Keeping more length makes the haircut a lot less risky, since it doesn't expose your head shape as much. You can always make adjustments next time you get it cut.

12. hipster

hipster Senior member

heh, this is exactly what i usually do. im tempted to get it super short on the sides because it looks cool when it connects to beard.

13. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Ok.
    I think super short sides work best if you've got thick wavy, curly or any kind of movement in your hair that presses it down on the scalp. My hair is not very thick and is completely straight with no movement at all, so when I cut it very short on the sides the hairs tend to stand right out. Not a very good look since you can see through the hairs and in to the scalp.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  14. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I use the clay pomade and think its fine, why the hate?

15. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Anyone have any hair style suggestions for guys with widows peaks? I'm looking for something professional (no mullets or mohawks).

16. Acoustic

Acoustic Member

Soo i've let my hair grow out for awhile now and it's pretty long but it's really un manageable (even after getting rid of the dry problem). I wanna keep it long but I need some suggestions. I was thinking pretty much getting it short on the sides (not buzz, just scissors) and back but long on top (especially the bangs, large forehead :p) but idk how it will look with my wavy thick hair. I was considering getting them to thin it with thinning shears but idk how it would look considering a do have a larger forehead. No picture, but just remember thick and wavy lol.

17. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

quality post right here... :facepalm:

18. Ozzie831

Ozzie831 New Member

Hey how's it going?
    I made a post around a week ago but didn't get any response, so Ill try for a quick question this time.
    Can anyone give me their input on what my face shape is?
    When I figure that out Ill go out and look for some hairstyles that fit it :D
    Any help is greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

19. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

Oval face. Maybe keep the top length the same and go buzz cut short on the sides and back. Drastic change

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  20. gusmorris

gusmorris Member

Hey. Now I have had the same haircut for quite a while now and I have a particular one I like. I have this picture and I was hoping you kind people could possibly advice me on how to possibly do this step by step. Before I give the link I will say that my hair is quite thin and straight with slight wave or curves at the end, very much like his in the picture and I would also like to point out his hair looks some what thick unlike mine and how would I then get the same look as someone with thick hair.

[​IMG]

please include, products needed, order in which steps I do first, The length I should have on my hair in detail and any kind of particular tools to do so eg, comb, brush, straightner etc

Cheers Gus :)