1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Keoke

Keoke Senior member

I've been using American Crew Fiber for several years now and cannot recommend it highly enough for guys with shorter hair. It's almost fragrance-free and offers good hold, and a matte look with no flaking. My tip is use just a pea-sized amount, warm it in your palms and then wait a few seconds for it to dry a bit before applying. No one will think you have product in your hair.
    Two similar products are the KMS clay and the l'Oreal blue playball.
    At this time of the year you should find them for cheap online.

I myself am curious about the Redken 20 clay and the Bedhead matte texturizer wax, if anyone knows how they compare to Fiber or KMS clay. Thanks.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

counterpoint: i've used the american crew fiber and it is atrocious for people with thick hair. no hold, and god forbid you touch your hair because what little hold there will vanish.

3. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

Is American Crew Fiber something that can be found in the local drug store/department store? I live in Canada by the way.

It's important that the product is fragrance-free and have a moderate or better hold...Any other recommendations for a product like this that gives a matte finish is appreciated!

4. gotmoo

gotmoo Member

Is American Crew Fiber something that be purchased at the local drug store/department store? I live in Canada btw.

It's important for the product to be basically fragrance-free, and have a moderate or better hold...any other recommendations for a product like this that gives a matte finish? Thanks!

5. herp

herp Senior member

Does anyone of you know an online shop that carries Dr. Bronner's Shikakai Conditioning Rinse and ships to germany?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

I bought mine from Amazon. I assume they ship to Germany but not sure.

7. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

PB, I have been shampooing like once every 3 weeks...Yea kind of disgusting but I do scrub and condition the shit out of my hair in the morning to get all excess product out...prob should have done this at night I know.

I was in cvs getting some other things when I saw this and was like wtf why not its only 15 bucks and doesnt have sulfates in it

http://www.dermorganic.com/conditioning-shampoo-sulfate-free

Any thoughts on this stuff? I mean Ill give it a go and prob still only shampoo once every 5 days maybe once every 3.

8. herp

herp Senior member

Sadly they don´t so I am still looking for a place to buy it but thanks.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your handle bothers me.

10. PEBBLE

PEBBLE Member

I use mainly hair dryer and got2b hairspray (yellow can)

Too much product make my hair looks greasy. Sometimes dabble a bit of Matt paste on my side parting to keep it split.

Also some volume powder sprinkled in there too to make it thick.

11. PEBBLE

PEBBLE Member

12. PEBBLE

PEBBLE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My hair is a nightmare, It grows a certain way, so it's hard for hairdressers to just copy a hair do.

My hair dressers are all rubbish so a hair consultation is out of the question.

Also have a tiny bit of a receeding hair line too.

I've done my research for my hair type and I feel the David beckham H&M look is perfect, I predict my current hair will be same length by march.

But I'm also hoping for other suggestions from people that would look good for my face shape and style.

What you think?

13. patrickBOOTH

I think you would benefit from your hair being down more on your forehead. Generally hair pushed back or up looks better on people with lower hairlines.

14. PEBBLE

PEBBLE Member

Patrickbooth- thanx mate, I thought same thing, I just figured by March that it will be long enough to over lap my forehead. Perhaps I just manipulate it a bit so bring it down and forward.

Do you have any examples of hairstyle's that would suit my head/face?

Thanx in advance.

15. az64q

az64q Well-Known Member

The Lush Dirty creme sure is pungent. Very good, thick hold. Easy to put on, very moldable. I was able to style my hair pretty much all on the first swipe. Great texture, and not at all greasy or heavy. I'm sure it will hold up all day and night. But the smell is awful.

I've got this unpleasant aroma following me around, and I've washed my hands several times and the smell won't come off. I really don't think I can handle this on a daily basis. I still haven't tried Big Tease. From what I've read, I'm afraid that I'm going to really like it and then end up not being able to buy it again.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

yeah fiber sucks for me. I can see it being nice for people with really short hair like an inch for the texture

im probably just gonna try a couple of pomades as hold is my main problem these days

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. jarude

jarude Senior member

you'll get used to it, i know i have.

18. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

I've been using Kevin.Murphy Night.Rider matte texture paste for the past 6 months or so. It's pretty good stuff and has a good hold for people like me with unruly straight, thick hair.

I tend to shampoo everyday - sometimes a couple times a day too. Living in Texas in the summer combined with Crossfit workouts it's a bit of a necessity. I've been using Menscience Daily Shampoo, which they say is meant to be used everyday.

19. patrickBOOTH

I don't understand how anybody can characterize thick straight hair as "unruly". It is pretty much what everybody desires. It is a blank canvas to do whatever you want with it.

20. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Well, it's poofy if I don't use some sort of product in it. Maybe unruly was a bit of an overstatement.